V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've got another opportunity to possibly get what I consider a pretty good deal on 2 WideGlides. I like silver colored bikes and I've always liked the Black & Silver '03's and have found one for under $14500.00 (with upgrades)
On the other hand, i've found a silver '05 fxdwg w/7k miles for around $15k.. Not to sure about the blue tribal flame's, but an 05 for $15k aint to bad a deal, eh?

Anyway, I havent gotten all the info on the '03 yet, but the '05 is efi and 100% stock. No mod's at all.... I know that the '03 is said to have lots of extra chrome and some performance mods, but I dont know the details yet, nor do I know the mileage.
Bike for bike though, if we assume both are relatively stock, what would you all recommend and why? (Besides just the 2 year newer argument)

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
I Pick The 05

EFI rocks IMHO and the 05 will still be under warranty. Since it's stock you can fix it up to YOUR liking.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Another vote for the '05. I've got an '03 and quite frankly, I'm tired of the black and silver color. With the '05, you have the remaining warranty and you get to fix it up the way you want it. For me, half the fun is changing and "improving" stuff. Obviously, a lot is going to depend on what you find out about the '03 mileage and mods. If it's low mileage and has mods you would have done yourself, it might be a better deal for you. For $500 more, I'd take the '05 though.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i have to agree. unless the 03 has mods you plan on doing anyway, i'd take the 05 for a few bucks more. i had an 03 (have an 05 fxd now) while i liked the paint at first, i wound up regretting not being able to custom paint my tins.

of course everyone knows carb'd is the way to go :265:

afa performance upgrades, i'd want to be very familiar with who did them.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The '05 has 7k miles and is supposedly in mint cond. It's the silver with blue tribal flames.. (love the silver, but not to fond of the flame thing) The '03 turns out has 25k miles and he'll take 14k. Pretty much stock except for a stage 1 and a "bolt-on" windshield. He sais it comes off real easy and quick though. He also said that in '03, much of the chrome is actually chrome where with the 05's and up they used aluminum.. (?)
Dont know what that's about, but I cant buy a bike for $14k w/25k miles on it anyway. If I were in Kentucky, theres an '03 w/6400 miles and a q.d shield, touring seat, makuni carb, pipes, etc for $14500 obo....
I'm in a quandry cuz I currently have an '02 RKCI with only 2400 miles and an older fxrs (91) with 56k miles. I was gonna just keep the fxrs and cherry it out but I dont know.. For some reason I just want a darn wide glide. I'm selling both just so I can get one. How crazy is that?
The RK's an awesome bike, but I guess it's just not really my style, and I dont tour much at all.. I thought I would, but I just dont have the time for long hauls with the kids and all...

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Buy the '05 and don't look back. EFI does rock. Warranty is a total plus.
And as far as touring with it, it's great.
I put 10k on my WG since May of last year when I bought it, and it's nice on the road. Guys with baggers will have more comfort and amenities, but I didn't get beat down touring on my bike.

Brad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts