V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story, I have friends 2003 Fatboy on the lift. It had front cam bearing failure. He was running down the highway when it went out, so it ran for a while after it fell apart. The motor was built by a HD shop here in 2007, they used se 95" 10.5 pistons, se 251 cams, and se springs, and HD cam install kit with sh!tty bearings. The heads were also ported. It has the MM fuel injection with a se tuner. The bike has about 70,000 miles on it now. The cam ate into the case pretty deep, ruined the right side crank pinion, and the cylinders and pistons are done too. So what would you guys do? Rebuild everything or find a new motor? Has anyone ever machined out a cam journal and installed a sleeve or welded and machine it? Thinking about boring it to a 98 and running S&S 551 cams and changing the fuel injection to something bigger and better. The stock crank can be rebuilt and welded, I think, I haven’t split the cases yet. The bike has a bagger kit and the owner is a really big guy. He also would like to have more torque instead of wide open hp. Any ideas??????

·
FOAD
340 Posts
Here's the story, I have friends 2003 Fatboy on the lift. It has the MM fuel injection with a se tuner. changing the fuel injection to something bigger and better.
No if it is a 2003 Fatboy it has Delphi fuel injection.

MM EFI was only fitted on Touring bikes till 2001 and from 2002 even they went to Delphi.

Softails got the first Delphi EFI in 2001 and before that were all carbed.

So he basically has a decent EFI system and tuner and would just need a bigger throttle body and injectors if going bigger.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Scotty is right about the EFI system, with that said I'd consult HorsePower Inc. about reworking the trottlebody to 48mm. Their pricing is good and so is their advice over the phone.

Armin.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think that it might be a good time to price an after market engine. I think that it might be around the same dollar
ken

·
Premium Member
179 Posts

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
Hi there.

Here is what I would do, pull the engine and send it to Harley Rebuild and have them build you a new engine.

Harley rebuild is S&S, I know this because when my engine blew up, I send it in to them(Harley) and the tracking came from them(S&S), and a phone call to them(S&S) confirmed it.
The way they rebuild a engine is, they tear it down, recycle most of the parts and make new replacements for them.
The cost is about as good as it gets, 3,650.00 and comes with a 1 year warranty through Harley. (That is the 95 stage one "B" engine, and yes, you can have whatever cam you want).

S&S also has there rebuild department aside from the work they do for Harley, if your at a Indy shop, have them call for a price, but I bet it will be very close to the Harley price, after all, it is the same place.

Link....
S&S rebuild service.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No if it is a 2003 Fatboy it has Delphi fuel injection.

MM EFI was only fitted on Touring bikes till 2001 and from 2002 even they went to Delphi.

Softails got the first Delphi EFI in 2001 and before that were all carbed.

So he basically has a decent EFI system and tuner and would just need a bigger throttle body and injectors if going bigger.

I'm no expert on FI, but this TB says Magneti Marelli right on the side of it, it doesn't have Deldhi anywhere on it. I thought the samething.

this is a picture of the left side case with the 100 year aniversary on it, it case anyone didn't believe it is a 2003

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jeff and King for the very good ideas, I'll talk to the owner today to see what he want to do. He has plenty of money to spend.

To the best of my knowledge a 120r is not available for this bike, or else that's what I would get him to do (or pay me to do).

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Whatever you decide, dont forget to flush the oil tank as well as the lines. I would just ask your friend his budget and build from there.

·
Registered
938 Posts
i repaired the same thing in my bagger. total disassembly, welded up the damaged hole and machined it back to original size locating hole from hole in cam plate. 20k miles and counting. neeeded new oil pump and plate. forget those wheels. i sent mine to darkhorse for repair, spent twice as much fixing as i could have got a set of take outs. replaced all the obvious and burned gas!!

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
We have bored the cam holes out for the later 07 and up bearing and changed to the late hydraulic set up.
This is a no brainer, send the cases out to Hyper and have them bored for the B168 bearing and use the upgrade kit. You will likely need a new pump anyway and the rest of the parts are not that bad, might as well address the crank at the same time as metal could have easily contaminated the crankpin and big end of rods.
You do have a Delphi system, the TP sensor is made by MM

·
FOAD
340 Posts
[QUOTE
I'm no expert on FI, but this TB says Magneti Marelli right on the side of it, it doesn't have Deldhi anywhere on it. I thought the samething.
[/QUOTE]

Yes that small sensor on the throttle body was made by MM but the ECM which is under the seat is a Delphi ECM and that is what determines what sort of EFI system you have.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts

this is a picture of the left side case with the 100 year aniversary on it, it case anyone didn't believe it is a 2003
It is the idle air control stepper motor you are referring to and indeed it is a Magneto Marelli product. But the whole fuel injection system including ECM, throttlebody and intake manifold is a Delphi concept, hence the name Delphi system.

Armin.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is a no brainer, send the cases out to Hyper and have them bored for the B168 bearing and use the upgrade kit. You will likely need a new pump anyway and the rest of the parts are not that bad, might as well address the crank at the same time as metal could have easily contaminated the crankpin and big end of rods.
You do have a Delphi system, the TP sensor is made by MM
Thanks for the advise and setting me straight on the fi. I'm still learning fuel injection so when I seen the mm on it I assumed that's what it was. Your right about the pump, the return stopped working, the cam cover was full of oil when I took it off. What do you think about installing a 4 3/8 crank and 103 or 107 pistons?

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Talked to the bike owner tonight, he is ready to go bigger. Why spend $ just to fix it back the way it was when he can spend a little more to build a 107. Is there a 4 3/8 crank available that doesn't need work right out of the box? What TB and injectors should I look at?

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Talked to the bike owner tonight, he is ready to go bigger. Why spend $ just to fix it back the way it was when he can spend a little more to build a 107. Is there a 4 3/8 crank available that doesn't need work right out of the box? What TB and injectors should I look at?
You might contact Hyperformance regarding the new 5 piece press together unit from R&R, not sure if it is available for the B motor yet, one other thing to mention is replacement of the balancer shaft bearings and maybe the assemblies themselves. A 107 built properly will be all you will ever need. As far as TB an HPI 55 is a great TB.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You might contact Hyperformance regarding the new 5 piece press together unit from R&R, not sure if it is available for the B motor yet, one other thing to mention is replacement of the balancer shaft bearings and maybe the assemblies themselves. A 107 built properly will be all you will ever need. As far as TB an HPI 55 is a great TB.
I'm planning on taking care of the balancers. Anyone know the difference between the SE stroker flywheel, one is about $1250 and the other is only about $750. They are on the same page in the SE catalog. I was also looking at the s&s one for $ 1200, any thoughts?

Does the hpi tb come with injectors, I looked at hpi website but didn't call them yet. I'm still putting together a parts list and lining up machine shop work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts