V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on how to go about a project i would like to start. I just found out my uncle has a mid 70's sporty just sitting collecting years of dust in his shed. I know its gonna need a lot of work. He hasnt touched it in forever and i think he forgot about it. But he is a bit of a penny pincher.

what would u pay for it and how would u talk em into selling(maybe giving) it to you.

Thanks in advance
Everett

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

Colt 45 peacemaker!!! :eek: Its old enough for him to recognise! :D

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Get two Bottles of Stoli, fill one with water. Play Poker. Make sure he is drinking out of the bottle with the real stuff in it and you drink the one with the water in it.

!!!!!!!!And under NO circumstances dump a full bottle of vodka down the sink to make room for water. Please place the original contents of the bottle into a sealed container and mail it to me.
Thanks!

·
old timer
516 Posts
Tell him what a shame it is for the piece to rot in the garage and how would he like to see it completely restored.

Tell him you want to ride one and see if he's agreeable to allowing you to restore it...that is if it's stock or close to stock....it's probably worth $1500 complete, if it hasn't been run in years...even in running condition...unless it's choice it's only about a $3500 bike.

You can feel him out and adapt your argument as he indicates his position.

Good luck...hell, if it's sitting in the garage/barn rotting...he ought to turn it over just to see you earn it...LOL

manny

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I would find out what one is worth is decent running condition, deduct what you estimate it will cost to get this one in good shape and make an offer.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yeah it really does depend on the condition of it and how much sweat/money you are prepared to pour into it -if it's worth it.

If he forgot about it he prolly won't mind too much seeing it go to someone who'll give it some care, or he may tell you to buzz off! :eek:

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
tell him of the fire hazards of keeping something with a combustion engine sitting around in a garage for years and never being started. youll gladly take it to the dump for him for a fee of $50.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Now if it was a Knuckle head or Pan or duo glide, you should be over their cutting his grass and painting his house, but a Sporty I am not sure if it would be worth sticking a lot of money in. I have seen a couple of running older sporties not sure on the year I think they were both late 70's one was very rough and the guy had $2000 I would have offered him maybe a grand, the other was alittle better and he wanted $3500 I would have given him maybe $2000, ridesafe rickpoco

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have an older biker buddy who has 5-6 bikes in various states around his house/garage and he will not part with any of them, his theory is he doesn't need the money and they aren't costing him anything so why part with them. He thinks he may want to do something with them one day. This use to drive me nuts before I had my bike, cause I figured I could rebuild one and have a cool scoot, but nooooooo. Oh well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts