V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has already become a national story so most of you have probably already heard about it. A 20-year-old, full-time Sheriff's deputy, apparently in a jealous rage, shot and killed six kids not much younger than him at a homecoming pizza and movie party with an assault rifle (this is not an anti-gun rant). It raises so many questions. Should someone who is just 20 even be a Sheriff's deputy? Was the screening process flawed? It's just such a terrible tragedy. Here it is on CNN.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Yeah, this has me wondering to. I feel so bad for the victems and their families. Since he's dead now we'll probably never know.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
I blame the assault rifle. Also the white guy. You know how violent they are.
Then again, maybe he got really po'd at being dumped, being called names, and went temporarily insane (classic defense), He probably planned on suicide by cop.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Considering federal law prohibits anyone under 21 from owning a pistol, why was he a LEO in the 1st place?

·
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Considering federal law prohibits anyone under 21 from owning a pistol, why was he a LEO in the 1st place?
That's kind of what I was wondering. The latest spin on this says he went to the party to make up with his girlfriend and some of the kids called him "a worthless pig." I guess he just snapped. Never should have been a cop in the first place, obviously.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
How could any LE agency think a kid who was 19 when they hired him is mature enough to enforce laws, when we as a society don't even trust his maturity enough to allow him to legally buy or consume alcohol.

Phucking sheriff is an idiot for hiring anyone under 21 and without any physiological testing. :huh: Sounds like typical small town thinking and the good ol boy system at work to me...

yeah... their screening process was definitely flawed...

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Fred1369 said:
I blame the assault rifle. Also the white guy. You know how violent they are.
Then again, maybe he got really po'd at being dumped, being called names, and went temporarily insane (classic defense), He probably planned on suicide by cop.
Hmmm, he coulda done that without any help, now, couldn't he?

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
With the extensive psyc testing the do in Los Angeles area, this usually culls out the bad ones early in training, if they get that far. It is usually the ones with 10-20 years in that snap. They need to continue the testing on all LEOs on a quarterly (at least) basis.

Divorce, thier own teen age kids, thier extended families make hell for an officer that brings his work home. Some get hooked up with the street criminals, particularilary hookers. The professionalism that they are taught, that they have to take verbal abuse, the constant feelings of LEOs against the rest of the population, wears on them. There is NO F ing way that I would want to be a LEO. My future sol worked at a rifle range and thought he wanted to be one. I steered him into the Highway Patrol, they don't see the bad side on an hourly basis. He decided on his own that he didn't really want that for himself, he saw to many of the LEOs at the range with divorces and other problems.

It takes a special person to do this kind of work and I am not one of them. Even if I could have passed the phycical tests, I never would have pass the others. I would be an a.h. of a cop, I would beat the bastards down who smarted of to me.

·
Registered
838 Posts
cwo2lt said:
You can possess it under 21, you just can not purchase. In MN you have to be 21 to get a permit to carry (you don't need a carry permit here if you are a LEO, your Peace Officer's License takes care of that). In ND and SD, you can get a permit to carry at the age of 18. It seems to vary a lot from state to state.

In my state you can be hired at the age of 18, but it is pretty rare due to the requirement of a two or four year college degree plus an additional thirteen weeks in the law enforcement training center skills academy. I was hired just after my 21st birthday, but there have been some hired earlier. I would think a standard battery of psych tests would have been conducted before hiring the kid due to liability reasons, but I don't know how they do it there. Occasionally, troubled people still make it through the process.

Sometimes you never see it coming. One of my co-workers killed himself with his duty weapon this past May. Three of his peers were there when he did it. He had 38 years on the job, and I had worked with him on the street for the past 18. The year before that, a Captain on a neighboring department shot himself and a few months later, one of their patrol officers did the same thing.

·
Free agent
795 Posts
I guess if you get pissed on enough..you finally grown tired of the morons who who are doing the pissing. I do not condone what he did...but I can understand his mentality!! These guys get screwed with everyday and I'll betcha that due to his age, he got more than his fair share.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
chrt396 said:
I guess if you get pissed on enough..you finally grown tired of the morons who who are doing the pissing. I do not condone what he did...but I can understand his mentality!! These guys get screwed with everyday and I'll betcha that due to his age, he got more than his fair share.

He is a mass murderer. He was not a cop that long to get pissed on enough, he was just a wacko to start with and somehow he got through the screening, if there was one. Being that young with a ass full of testosterone and a big gun is just a recipe for trouble. I feel bad for his victims. They were so young.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Story from the local paper

Tyler Peterson, the 20-year-old, off-duty Forest County sheriff 's deputy and part-time Crandon police officer who murdered six people and injured another Sunday before being shot to death himself, was certified by the state to be a police officer.

But Crandon authorities said they were not aware that any psychological testing was done.

The state Justice Department, which oversees police certification, refused to release details of his training Monday afternoon.

Ken Hammond, director of Law Enforcement Education at the state Department of Justice, said he was not allowed to release Peterson 's history.

Crandon Police Chief John Dennee said Monday that Peterson had met all the state and local requirements to become a police officer and had passed a background check. Hammond sent details of Peterson 's record to Justice Department spokesman Kevin St. John on Monday, but St. John did not release the information.

Wisconsin tends to have higher requirements for police training and education than most states, but the state can't control human nature, experts said Monday.

"People ask, How does something like this happen? ' " asked Martin Redmann, department chairman for criminal justice and law enforcement programming at Madison Area Technical College. "That 's a human nature question.

"But can just anyone be a police officer in Wisconsin? Absolutely not. Even in the smallest places, people are going to have meet the law enforcement standards board qualifications to become a certified police officer. "

Tom Caywood, chairman of the UW-Platteville criminal justice department, said that in Wisconsin, certified police officers must:

Be at least 18 years of age.

Possess a high school diploma or GED.

Possess a valid Wisconsin driver 's license or other such valid operator 's permit.

Not have been convicted of any federal felony or of any offense which, if committed in Wisconsin, could be punished as a felony or of any misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

In addition, police officers employed after Feb. 1, 1993, must have a minimum of 60 fully accredited college level credits. Local departments can have more stringent standards.

Caywood said as of July 1, all basic law enforcement academies in Wisconsin have to offer 520 hours of instruction, up from 400 hours. "Completion of the academy means you are certifiable as a law enforcement officer in the state, " he said.

------

Sounds like he either slipped through the cracks somewhere and had hidden psycotic tendancies the whole time or he just flipped out on the spot.

I know I used to be really hot-headed when I was that age but going that far is just animalistic. Unhuman.

I can't even imagine the terror those kids must have felt.

·
scooter coot
321 Posts
Fred1369 said:
He probably planned on suicide by cop.
Crandon - Evidence shows Tyler Peterson likely committed suicide by shooting himself in the head with his .40-caliber handgun as law enforcement officers closed in on him, hours after Peterson gunned down six young people, Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen said at news conference this afternoon.

·
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by brittfan
Crandon - Evidence shows Tyler Peterson likely committed suicide by shooting himself in the head with his .40-caliber handgun as law enforcement officers closed in on him
That doesn't surprise me. I always thought the SWAT "sniper" angle no one would confirm sounded iffy. The lone survivor is now talking. He says he played dead to survive.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
does the milwaukee pd have their cops take psych tests? did any of the cops that beat up frank jude a couple of years ago take a psych test? if they did they fooled everyone. these psych tests don't mean anything. anyone can snap at any time.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Are sherrifs department cops drug tested weekly? If not they should be. i've noticed there are a lot of young cops out there that are obviously carrying water. A 5'10 140lb pencil neck frame kid does not sport a 250 pound body without a lot of chemical help and I see "That Guy" with a badge and gun every time I turn around these days. I understand the motivation, the ability to muscle down nutjobs is necessary to be a cop and a lot of guys can only get there by juicing. Unfortunatly, mix already raging hormones with chemically introduced hormones and the "Little Man" syndrome most young (< 21 YO) cops seem to have and you end up with walking timebombs. I'll drop a $50 spot that this little prick was cycling roids.

·
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by BJG
I'll drop a $50 spot that this little prick was cycling roids.
I hadn't thought about that but it wouldn't surprise me. We'll learn more after the tox screen results are in. Any way you slice it, it's just a horrid, needless tragedy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts