V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hippo and others -

What engine mods would you recommend for an '02 Delphi EFI (Bagger) that would not effect reliability (I already have done a stage 1, with a PC Map from the PC website -- will have custom MAP made soon)?

If I had the chance to due some engine mods, what would you recommend for an '02 Delphi Bagger, keeping in mind my priorities are only reliability, and unrealized ponies?

I would like more torque, and any potential (hiding) horsepower in my power plant, but not at the cost of realibilty. I am NOT shooting for any numbers, just to realize hidden ponies.

What engine mods can I perform that would accomplish this, without sacrificing any reliability?

I have heard the heads do not breath well, and before a cam install I should do heads, there are ponies hiding there.

Any input GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Power is in the heads and to some degree in the cam. As long as you don't go overboard with compression and lift reliability should stay the same.

It's always about money. We just came up with a package that Charlie calls "the Scottish tuneup" that does not include any modifications to the heads other then one minor machining operation and the bikes run extremely well despite running most of the stock parts.

Improving reliability wether stock or modified requires replacing some perfectly good components and they are not cheap.
There are lots of ways one can go.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hippo, can I ask what is done (no exact details -- don't want to give away proprietory secrets), roughly?

Is the machining done to the heads?

If I bored to an 95 ci, massaged the heads (Scottish tuneup?), and used a mild cam leaving the CR stock, and polishing the cam chain...is this about it?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Yes, just enough to cc the chambers to where I want them to match CR to the cam, different head gaskets, bored cylinders, the flat top pistons and the cam. Plus the gaskets. Takes 5 minutes to polish the chains.

02 bike should be OK, on the early ones I like to use late version lifters.

On an EFI bike you also need a means to adjust the fuel curve. Either a DFO a PC or a EFI tuner. Personally I prefer the DFO if price and tuning ease are the primary consideration or the EFI tuner if you want maximum capability. The PC is nearly the price of the tuner and not nearly as elegant a solution, plus it doesn't have data logging or diagnostic capabilities.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
While on some engines you might get away without adjustable pushrods it is a good idea to use them anyway and you got to figure them in the budget.

On the early bikes you need cam spacers and possibly a cam gear depending on when the engine was made, and tensioners if they are worn to any degree. This stuff is pretty inexpensive.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...Thanks Hippo -- That's the kinda info I was looking for...

·
Registered
1 Posts
hippo
So the scottish tuneup as you call it what can you realize for tq and hp a flht is what i have and need the tq in lower rpms what cam do you recomend thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts