V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much debate I sold my Heritage once I decided to move to a bagger. I know of one SF dealer having one 07 left and they are offering $2500 off MSRP on a blue denim model. But I found a local owner selling a black one (my #1 choice in color) due a back injury. The rig only has 400 miles on her. I need to find out if the bike comes with the standard warranty or extended. Do I offer basic trade in value of KBB? $13,265. I did not quite understand their milage chart. Any advice would be helpful.
Southbay Bomber (soon to be Southbay Bagger?)

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
OKI, I can not speak for that part of the country but there are a few areas that that bike has outsold everything else. It is a hot bike and I think it should bring more than that. I have an '06 FLHXI and if someone offered me that I would laugh. I hae done a few things to it but even if it was stock I think the value is not less than 15K. Good luck. If you can get it for that then you are in good shape. BTW, I enjoy my bike.....its a great bagger.

Chris

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Don't offer anything. If he's selling it, he needs to price it, then negotiate from there. You can only go up from your offer, but you can go down from his asking price.
BTW, KBB is slanted towards the dealer. NADA seems better from a consumer's standpoint.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Southbay Bomber said:
After much debate I sold my Heritage once I decided to move to a bagger. I know of one SF dealer having one 07 left and they are offering $2500 off MSRP on a blue denim model. But I found a local owner selling a black one (my #1 choice in color) due a back injury. The rig only has 400 miles on her. I need to find out if the bike comes with the standard warranty or extended. Do I offer basic trade in value of KBB? $13,265. I did not quite understand their milage chart. Any advice would be helpful.
Southbay Bomber (soon to be Southbay Bagger?)
If you really want a good deal then look for a used 2006 model. Not only will you get a better price - you'll get a better bike. I wouldn't take an 07 if you gave me one - crappy loud transimission - overheating and pinging issues - no thanks. Of course if you don't mind spending an extra $2k to do the tranny fix and stage one then go for it.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
miles to go said:
If you really want a good deal then look for a used 2006 model. Not only will you get a better price - you'll get a better bike. I wouldn't take an 07 if you gave me one - crappy loud transimission - overheating and pinging issues - no thanks. Of course if you don't mind spending an extra $2k to do the tranny fix and stage one then go for it.
That is funny, that is what the guys who owned 05's were saying about the 06's and the guys with the 04's were saying about the 05's and the guys with 03's were saying about the 04's and on and on.........

·
This Space for Rent
57 Posts
You can get a brand new 08 for 19,000.

You can get a brand new 07 for about 16,500.

You can get a used 07 for ?

Seems like much more than 14k and you should get a new one. But I'm very biased toward getting the new one.

Look around the forum, the news, etc. It's a buyers market, keep that in mind. The dealers are struggling getting rid of 07s in many areas, HD cut their sales forecast, theres a ton of used bikes for sale, many with asking prices more than they cost new? I fully expect a significant adjustment in Harley pricing, new and used. It's been unrealistic and unsustainable.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Mtclassic said:
That is funny, that is what the guys who owned 05's were saying about the 06's and the guys with the 04's were saying about the 05's and the guys with 03's were saying about the 04's and on and on.........
That may be so, but in this case my comments are based on facts and personal experience. I just like people to know what to expect before they go out and drop $18k on a bike.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will ask the seller about his asking price first. I've seen to many rigs with unrealistic asking prices.
I was going to look for 2001 and newer bike and have a 95" motor built but the trusted independent shop I've been using actually urged '06 or newer claiming chasis improvements and a cam set up make it the better buy. I mentioned the heat issue and their explaination that the larger displacement and the factory settings due to the O2 sensors typically ran too lean creating the heat. They assured me they could easily dial in the newer 96" with aftermarket pipes as the way to go. I was surprised since they touted their motor in a 8"x10" picture of a bagger launching at the drag strip with a 11.46 quarter mile time listed on the front counter.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Southbay Bomber said:
I will ask the seller about his asking price first. I've seen to many rigs with unrealistic asking prices.
I was going to look for 2001 and newer bike and have a 95" motor built but the trusted independent shop I've been using actually urged '06 or newer claiming chasis improvements and a cam set up make it the better buy. I mentioned the heat issue and their explaination that the larger displacement and the factory settings due to the O2 sensors typically ran too lean creating the heat. They assured me they could easily dial in the newer 96" with aftermarket pipes as the way to go. I was surprised since they touted their motor in a 8"x10" picture of a bagger launching at the drag strip with a 11.46 quarter mile time listed on the front counter.
Sure, you can dial in the new 96 with different pipes, AC, SERT, and about a 100 dyno pulls. Make sure you take it to a good tuner or you'll end up with crap. Oh, and get them to do the Baker "fix" on your new 6-speed tranny so you can hear your radio over the 5th gear chatter.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
miles to go said:
Sure, you can dial in the new 96 with different pipes, AC, SERT, and about a 100 dyno pulls. Make sure you take it to a good tuner or you'll end up with crap. Oh, and get them to do the Baker "fix" on your new 6-speed tranny so you can hear your radio over the 5th gear chatter.
I own an 04 flhtc but every year I get a new flhp assigned to me for the year and my 07 runs no different than any of the previous years bikes except for it is a little faster and a lot smoother and has much less mechanical noise from the motor, The 5th gear was never that bad and after a couple thousand miles sounds just like any of the previous bikes. If I were going to trade my 04 off I would be looking at an 07 or 08. I have put 50,000 trouble free miles on my 04 and would expect the same with an 07 or 08.

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
miles to go said:
How ya doin M T go? What is that Baker 'fix' and how much.

By the way, what do you think about the cam plate that has no bearings?

How do you think they will wear/wearout and become an issue?

sorry about goin off topic. though the cam plate may be somthing to consider on which choice

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Mtclassic said:
I own an 04 flhtc but every year I get a new flhp assigned to me for the year and my 07 runs no different than any of the previous years bikes except for it is a little faster and a lot smoother and has much less mechanical noise from the motor, The 5th gear was never that bad and after a couple thousand miles sounds just like any of the previous bikes. If I were going to trade my 04 off I would be looking at an 07 or 08. I have put 50,000 trouble free miles on my 04 and would expect the same with an 07 or 08.
Seems to be a crap shoot as some make more noise than others. Me and another guy were in Vegas earlier this year and rented e-glides. Both of them were noisey in 5th - plus they ran VERY hot and pinged pretty bad when going up a decent hill. Friend of mine rented an Ultra this past weekend - same experience. From the comments of other 07 owners here on the forum these are not isolated incidents. My advice would be to ride the one you want before you buy it. Still got to deal with the heat issue though cuz they all run hot.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
knuckleheader said:
How ya doin M T go? What is that Baker 'fix' and how much.

By the way, what do you think about the cam plate that has no bearings?

How do you think they will wear/wearout and become an issue?

sorry about goin off topic. though the cam plate may be somthing to consider on which choice
Here's a link to the Baker fix http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/f6f/index.htm. Do a search on the web for a vendor.

I don't know much about the cam plate issue. I do believe Harleys are slowly going the route of the metrics - "throw-aways."

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
$200 for the IDS, and the clatter is no more. I did the same with my 07 FLHR as I did with my 05 Low Rider, aftermarket pipes, K&N air cleaner, fuel management. I really like my 07 FLHR, and it runs great.

Thorns

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Thorns said:
$200 for the IDS, and the clatter is no more. I did the same with my 07 FLHR as I did with my 05 Low Rider, aftermarket pipes, K&N air cleaner, fuel management. I really like my 07 FLHR, and it runs great.

Thorns
I could be wrong, but i don't think the IDS has anything to do with the tranny clatter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
miles to go said:
I could be wrong, but i don't think the IDS has anything to do with the tranny clatter.
A lot of guys that have put the IDS on their bikes are saying it does. From what I have heard and read, the IDS helps eliminate the clatter and also reduces the fifth gear whine. There have been a few say it only helped some but most are now saying they are happy with their ride after the IDS install.

YMMV

·
Registered
953 Posts
miles to go said:
The only real complaint with the transmission has been the noise from 5th gear being cut different and it really isn't an issue.
The clatter came from the engine/primary area and was hard to define where it came from, especially if you shifted into 5th gear under 55 or 6th gear under 70, then the noise/clatter would start.
The IDS stopped most of that noise.
6th gear is best used on an interstate at speeds over 70 but most people I talk to think they should be able to ride in 6th at 55 mph.:dunno:
If I were dealing on a 07 they would have to install an IDS.... knowing what I know now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just bought a left over 07 in vivid black for $17200. I traveled out of state to get it and had to pay TT&L when i got home.In my neck of the woods, the Street Glides are hard to find at the dealer.They seem to be one of the more popular models.

Your used value is too low.If i could have found one at that price, i would have been all over it.I watched them for months on ebay and noticed 06's generally selling from 15.5K-16.5K depending on miles and add-ons. The market is too new for the 07's.Its hard to judge price with some still on the showrooms.
My local dealer has already sold every 08 they have gotten.When i was in looking, they had one in the new sunglow red priced at $20040. It was gone a few days later.

BTW, the $2500 off the denim blue sounds like a decent deal if they aren't marking it off an inflated MSRP. I believe thats an upgraded color which most dealers try to get about $500 more for.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts