V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to upgrade my 2010 RockerC (96cu) to 107ci. I’m looking for more bottom end torque. I ride solo, back roads 90% of the time with my longest highway run up to Lk George being 3hrs. I already have V&H big shots, SE Heavy Breather and a TTS MasterTune. Looking at new cylinders, pistons and the TTS 150 cams, with a CR at 10.5:1 I know I’m going to have to have ACR’s installed on my heads. What could potentially be my hp & tq. numbers and is it better to go with someone else’s easy start cam- money & performance wise....

·
Super Moderator
19,552 Posts
You can drop on a set of jugs and pistons, and then go with an easy start cam from S&S. Make sure you cam specs are compatible with the compression ratio. Torque cams and high compression can end up being real bitchy on warm days.

But the results will be a little limited by the heads. Oem emissions heads need some work before they will flow well enough to make good power.

The very first thing you need to do is have a look at the wheel set. Check the runout on the pinion and sprocket shafts. If it wobbles, you need to address that first.

Past that, you might want to look at a Tire Shredder Kit from the MoCo, just about everything you need for a 120hp torque monster 110.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can drop on a set of jugs and pistons, and then go with an easy start cam from S&S. Make sure you cam specs are compatible with the compression ratio. Torque cams and high compression can end up being real bitchy on warm days.

But the results will be a little limited by the heads. Oem emissions heads need some work before they will flow well enough to make good power.

The very first thing you need to do is have a look at the wheel set. Check the runout on the pinion and sprocket shafts. If it wobbles, you need to address that first.

Past that, you might want to look at a Tire Shredder Kit from the MoCo, just about everything you need for a 120hp torque monster 110.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking at the MoCo Tire shredder kit but it didn’t list my bike as compatible... that torque curve is exactly what I’m look for. It’s a 2010 FXCWC with only 5300 miles.

·
Super Moderator
19,552 Posts
Its for a bagger, but the only differences are the milling for the bagger motor mount on the head and the throttle body.

The heads work fine, the throttle body you cant use. But even not using the throttle body and buying another its still a lot of bang for the buck.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
The tts 150 will be very temperamental at 10.5. The compression with a 110 and flat tops will force a cam with an ideal intake close of 42abdc, low 240s for duration. Not what the tire shredder kit has, iirc that is a se259. Not a torque move. The ACRs are smart.
It is real easy to hit 125tq but horsepower will hit a wall due to airflow through the heads and throttle body. About 115hp. All of this with a very strong torque curve which will be driven by a good pipe choice and tune.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tts 150 will be very temperamental at 10.5. The compression with a 110 and flat tops will force a cam with an ideal intake close of 42abdc, low 240s for duration. Not what the tire shredder kit has, iirc that is a se259. Not a torque move. The ACRs are smart.
It is real easy to hit 125tq but horsepower will hit a wall due to airflow through the heads and throttle body. About 115hp. All of this with a very strong torque curve which will be driven by a good pipe choice and tune.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The TTS 150 I was matching to a 107” build. The 110” build mentioned by Thermodyne has the se259 cams. . Do you think the TTS150’s will be temperamental on a 107 build? Your numbers are for the 150 cam or the tire shredder build? Thanks

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
The TTS 150 I was matching to a 107” build. The 110” build mentioned by Thermodyne has the se259 cams. . Do you think the TTS150’s will be temperamental on a 107 build? Your numbers are for the 150 cam or the tire shredder build? Thanks
Displacement increases the swept volume. So that adds compression. Cams dictate the desired compression ratio. The TTS 150 is a very short cam and works best at the high nines or 10.0:1. A 107 with average deck height, a .030 head gasket, flat top pistons, and 85cc heads is at 10.26:1. It will work but will need a great tune including timing changes. The pipe you have is neither conducive to building horsepower or torque. I have personally gained 11hp changing that pipe to a Fatcat. Torque everywhere increased as well.
The tire shredder kit uses the SE259. This is a hot rod not a torque cam and will require 11:1 to get any respectable low end torque out of it. Out of the box as the dealers install these the kit will come in at an honest 10.2:1 if the heads are 85cc. It will run fine but be soft until 2700 rpms. Worse yet at altitude. Same comment for the pipe applies.
3 cubic inches isn't enough to cause a big variance in torque. Horsepower will not be large and the motor will be done at 5,000 rpm with the 150. The SE259 build will have a lot more potential but a right side leaning torque curve. Peak torque the same for either when the pipe cooperates ~125. A cam like I suggested is between the two. These are custom solutions and no canned tune will work well.

·
Super Moderator
19,552 Posts
I run the Tire Shredder in one of my scooters. And started out with the 259e cams, then switched to the 585 S&S cam.

The 259's had better off idle power, but ran out too soon for me and were beasts to crank on a hot engine. the ACR's were over powered by the CCP on this cam. It was real easy to get unintended wheel spin or front end lift with these cams. But for some folks, that's exactly what they are looking for. They also require a lot of spark to be backed out of the map in hot weather, again because of the high CCP. These cams were intended to bolt into 103's with just springs being changed, so they build a lot of compression to help low end torque. And they probably work really well with just a thin head gasket.

The 585 killed off some of the bottom end will pull hard to the rev limiter. 3000-6500 with good power throughout. And with the easy start cogs, hot starting is not an issue.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
You must be mistaken
The SE259 has an intake close of 47°abdc, the S&S 585 is at 45°abdc. The kit is right at 10.25:1 honest static CR. The SE259 would crank 189 and the 585 191 based on the calculators. Modest, both of them but both needing releases. So the 585, did you use the "easy start" version?
The ACRs work. They pulse and maintain a constant cranking rpm regardless of conditions and up to some very serious cranking pressures, much higher than either of the examples you mentioned. If they are not working they are, defective, the exhaust passage is blocked with crud (common), or they are not turned on with the constants in the software.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,750 Posts
here we go... <face palm smiley: use your imagination>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts