V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little mid life crisis 06' Night Train is almost complete.
It's my first bike in 18 years, and I have built my personal "ultimate" Harley.
The only thing left black was the engine and the rear fender struts.
The bike has the HD smooth wheel option, and I am wondering if I should do something with the spoke front wheel.

The entire front end is completely chrome, so is every nut, bolt, and every piece of original zinc plated hardware on the entire bike. The engine is diamond cut, and topped off with a Wimmer Billet 90 degree intake. The paint is Candy Orange and Black.
In other words, the bike screams custom in a quiet way. The only wild parts are the diamond cut and the intake.
Now, the front wheel is the smooth rim spoke, and it is very conservative. I am wondering if it is too conservative, or should I stick on a chrome billet front wheel from HogPro?

So, here's the deal, another grand for a billet wheel that may just make it too "disco", or stay status quo and look too conservative...

What do you think?

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
I think we need some pics...

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
i'm old skool, i like twisted or diamond spokes,had them on my sporty ........... However a billet rim would look nice as well......changing spokes would be a lot cheaper if thats any concern.....and pics would be great

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
George C said:
I have a couple of pics my 12 year old took, but I don't know how to post them. Can I e-mail them to someone to put up?
I will send you a private message. I will post them up for you. If you are a premium member (only 15.00) you can add attachments directly to your message.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Yeah lets see some pics. I struggle with the same thing on the wheels. But what stops me is I feel if I get wheels I need to get rotors and a new rear pulley all to match and that ends up wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over a grand.
Lets see a pic.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
hotshotfxdl said:
Yeah lets see some pics. I struggle with the same thing on the wheels. But what stops me is I feel if I get wheels I need to get rotors and a new rear pulley all to match and that ends up wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over a grand.
Lets see a pic.
Exactly, and the two wheels should match each other

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I just got back home, and Fatboy is kind enough to post them for me further down in this thread.
The pictures generally suck because my 12 year old just got a new camera and was not used to taking pictures with it yet..

The bike is still in the dealer's shop, unfinished and full of fingerprints from the techs, and it's still waiting for the billet tank console and Six Shooter LED gas caps to show up. The new seat is another topic for another day.
The best picture shows the left side of the bike (mainly because my kid didn't TAKE any right side pics :nunu: )
What it shows is the new polished rear wheel. It's a very shiny piece that will go with anything out there. It's so dominate, that the front spoke may not do enough to compensate. Some may feel the spoke is enough and a billet may look too disco. I am NOT interested in buying a new rear to match mainly because they only seem to be available in an 18" size, and I just don't like to look of an 18" rear wheel and tire. Too thin & skinny and ruins the tough look of a massive tire.

Please feel free to offer any suggestions that you may have..

If I do go with a billet, I don't want to buy another disc. The bike already has new HD chrome Teardrop Floaters, and they are much better quality than any aftermarket cutsie solid. I like reliable braking..
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...4302290523&bmUID=1139862133482&bmLocale=en_US

These two wheels will match perfect to the Teardrop rotors, and I like them a lot. Both are Performance Machine wheels Seville and Hooligan.
http://www.hogpro.com/imagebox.php?name=pic/gallery1-pic121.jpg
http://www.hogpro.com/imagebox.php?name=pic/gallery1-pic164.jpg

Adding twisted stainless spokes to the HD smooth wheel may also be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
American

annd I vote spoke. Classic style that will give you hours of cleaning-time delight. American Wire makes the nicest. As a purist, I also like the full dish.
Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts