V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Shovelhead that I inherited years ago. My dad rode it back in the 1970's and when he died it was passed to my uncle. I got it from him 25 years later when he decided that it was taking up too much room in his garage. It has been a trusty ride that has seen many cross country trips and changes over the years. My dad and uncle only rode it with a suicide clutch, I opted for a hand clutch. I also put in a kick start 6 speed and Evo primary setup in order to fix starter problems and primary leaks. It currently has a 93" S&S setup with single fire ignition.
My dad lived hard and fast... he rode with the same 1% club that I later spent 15 years in. If he was still around today he would probably wonder why on earth we kept it around all of these years. Then again, maybe he would like that we did. It's very sentimental to me.
I am the current keeper of the bike and I really don't know what I am going to do with it. My wife and I have 2 modern bikes and we are planning to load them up and go fulltime RVing in a few years. I asked my uncle for his input and he said, "I don't want it back, find the next caretaker".
So... I think I have a talented volunteer lined up. He's only 21 but he rides and he rides damn well too. He has ridden the Shovel more than a few times and he is in total love with it. So the bike may go outside the bloodline but I just want it to go to someone who will truly appreciate it and keep it on the road. I will of course explain to him that he is the new "caretaker" until he finds the next person way down the road. I haven't made up my mind about this yet and he doesn't even know what I am considering. Maybe he'll turn it down.
I wonder what has become of all those wonderful old bikes that you see in all of those old photos and magazines from decades ago? Are they still out there being loved by someone or are they simply gone? Oh man, if they could only talk... the stories they would have to tell...
Shovel1.jpg
Shovel2.jpg

·
Registered
15,895 Posts
Awesome looking bike, but it makes my back and kidneys hurt looking at it.

·
Super Moderator
2,724 Posts
I bought a 1980 FLT roughly 10 yrs.ago.It was a POS rolling basket case.Now it's a pretty decent and reliable survivor.Most bikes fall into a state of disrepair over time.
There are no guarantees and the only person that has any control over what happens is YOU.

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
It's hard to pull the trigger on a decision like that. What would be my best thought would be for it to go to someone who will appreciate it and respect the bike.
When I bought my Panhead back in 75 I understood the anxiety of the seller. I still have that bike today. I'm sure he would be thrilled if he was still alive.
Go with your gut.. Unless it's disappointed you from time to time...

·
Registered
77 Posts
It just so happens I am looking to take care of something like that. 😎. Love the bike and yes if they could tell storys that one looks like it would be a great one. Best of luck with your decision

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know were you are coming from I have my brothers 81 fxes and it was in need of a lot of love when I inherited it for he passed away. I have not figured out what to do when I am not able to ride it but that will be a few more years. Good luck with your decision

·
Registered
239 Posts
Interesting subject there.. My 2005 Dyna FXD runs like a New one was thinking would pass on to my son.. After a serious talk with him about it he admitted probably would not do much with it and possibly sell it .. My Son in law has an old 1996 Sportster that he spends more time working on than riding but he loves riding so unless things change on my feelings, think will pass it down to him when it's time ..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not alot of help....cool bike though...most older hardtails aren't actually ridden much, and for good reason...bar hopper at best, we are spoiled these days....what ever you decide, it's probably just going to sit with the next owner too

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
to me it's easy, you no longer know what to do with it, you see a kid who may be perfect for it, you have to feel him out more about it. Then if it makes sense to let him take over it and you know he would do the same when he know longer knows what to do with, then it's a cool thing ya did there. That there is a awesome feeling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Shovelhead that I inherited years ago. My dad rode it back in the 1970's and when he died it was passed to my uncle. I got it from him 25 years later when he decided that it was taking up too much room in his garage. It has been a trusty ride that has seen many cross country trips and changes over the years. My dad and uncle only rode it with a suicide clutch, I opted for a hand clutch. I also put in a kick start 6 speed and Evo primary setup in order to fix starter problems and primary leaks. It currently has a 93" S&S setup with single fire ignition.
My dad lived hard and fast... he rode with the same 1% club that I later spent 15 years in. If he was still around today he would probably wonder why on earth we kept it around all of these years. Then again, maybe he would like that we did. It's very sentimental to me.
I am the current keeper of the bike and I really don't know what I am going to do with it. My wife and I have 2 modern bikes and we are planning to load them up and go fulltime RVing in a few years. I asked my uncle for his input and he said, "I don't want it back, find the next caretaker".
So... I think I have a talented volunteer lined up. He's only 21 but he rides and he rides damn well too. He has ridden the Shovel more than a few times and he is in total love with it. So the bike may go outside the bloodline but I just want it to go to someone who will truly appreciate it and keep it on the road. I will of course explain to him that he is the new "caretaker" until he finds the next person way down the road. I haven't made up my mind about this yet and he doesn't even know what I am considering. Maybe he'll turn it down.
I wonder what has become of all those wonderful old bikes that you see in all of those old photos and magazines from decades ago? Are they still out there being loved by someone or are they simply gone? Oh man, if they could only talk... the stories they would have to tell...
View attachment 263880 View attachment 263881
Well some of us odd balls like the old real bikes. Shovels are not worth much right now and I’m starting to see more and more of them. Me personally, I e owned a couple twin cams. Didn’t like them or the money I had to pay someone to plug it into a computer to tune it when ever I do a upgrade. I’ll keep my shovel and 3 Evo’s. I will hopefully never own a fuel injection bike ever again

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
to me it's easy, you no longer know what to do with it, you see a kid who may be perfect for it, you have to feel him out more about it. Then if it makes sense to let him take over it and you know he would do the same when he know longer knows what to do with, then it's a cool thing ya did there. That there is a awesome feeling.
When young a buddy and I went to buy 2 Indians an old man had. So I am like feeling the seat and bags like I am petting a horse. It was nice and I was ooh ahh. My azzhole buddy starts talking about how he is going to chop his on and on. Will you shut the fuk up!! The old man said no Well let me buy this one and don't sell to azzhole. The old man said NO now leave.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
View attachment 263880 View attachment 263881
KEEP IT OR GIVE IT TO ME I WILL RIDE THE TIRES OFF IT AND REPLACE WITH NEW TIRES AND RIDE THEM OFF.I AM 71 SO THERE

1 - 18 of 18 Posts