V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With this being my first Harley I am not sure what to do here. I am planning on replacing some parts on my Heritage before I take delivery. I.E., spoke wheels, brake rotors, sprocket...Just wondering what typically happens or what should I do with these parts. Does the dealer buy them back? Is it better to sale them on ebay?

TIA for any feedback.

·
Registered
626 Posts
look around ebay first to see if there is a big demand for your parts, might not get much luck.

then try www.thehorsebc.com they got a virtual swap meet there. if not try your luck here as well.

or keep em, never know when u wanna go back to stock for chits and giggles.

i change bars, tanks and front ends a couple times during the year just to change things up.

plus, i hope it dont happen, but if u bend a rim its nice to have a spare if u know what i mean.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
pick them up from the dealer and store them. Someday you may wish to sell or trade in that bike and you'll be glad you have all the stock parts to clinch the deal. Believe it or not, I was selling my old 1980 honda cb750 and I had a prospective buyer ask me what I did with the old worn out leather sport seat. He didn't want the bike without the original parts, regardless of the condition.
PS Don't let the dealer have anything.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I keep all stock parts so that I can return the bike to absolute stock condition at any time.
JMS

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Id hold on to them. I did that with my sportster. You never know when they might come in handy.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
I too can confirm the importance of retaining your stock parts. I would not be riding now if it werent for my trusty, old stock Harley wheels.

HALLCRAFT manufactures CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I'm all better now)

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
My thoughts are hold onto them so you can put them back on ifnwhen you decide to sell. Ifnwhen you by the same model, you don't have to spend big bucks chroming/mod-ing it out again, ya allready have the parts!Kapeesh?:D

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I have mixed feelings about this. On my '02 fat Boy i right off the bat did new exhaust, headlight nacelle, seat, handlebars, etc. I sold the stock seat and headlamp on Ebay. If I ever need to I can always buy somebody elses stock seat and lamp down the road. For now it put $200+ in my pocket. I see new seats go cheap and figure i can even get one for less than i was lucky enough to sell mine for. I've seen new take-off fat boy seats go anywhere from $135 down to $60. I sold for $130. I'll probably toss the stock bars and exhaust in the garbage the first time it is in my way.....same goes for the stock air cleaner.
there is no right answer here....it's more a personality issue than anything. i am not emotionally attached to the idea of having the stock parts and won't lose sleep if I miss out on a little extra incremental value if I should have kept the stock parts and didn't. I'd rather be rid of the clutter and have a litttle cash in hand.....helped offset the Corbin Dual Tour Seat.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I polished up the stock pipes, and built a frame, and mounted them on the wall. Just used fabrick for the background.

Cars are little, and smell funny.........dzlfitr

·
Registered
543 Posts
They are not worth enough to sell. Just send your spare parts to me, and I'll store them for you . :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts