V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
No corrections here either !! But I would add to check the rocker covers themselves. It is common for an old shovel to wear the bores of the rocker cover where the rocker shaft is supported and sealed. The Rocker covers are only aluminum and they are what holds the rocker shaft in the correct location. The bores on the Cone side of the motor tend to elongate and this can cause unwanted up and down movement of the rocker shafts. Remember we are talking thousandths of an inch so don't always expect to be able to see it. If you have had any leaking from the rocker covers at the rocker shafts, I would pay close attention to this area.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
pf317 said:
Thanks for the input on the shovel. It is a 74 inch and it has never been opened up down below but I did have a valve replaced in it one time.
It really runs great but using oil and smoking so I thought I would do the top end. Shoud I get new pushrods? Thanks
The question you are asking can only be answered by examining the parts in question. If the pushrods are worn on the ends or bent, then yes you should. If they still look like new then maybe not. If you are worried about the fact that it is a 30 year old bike and may never have been taken apart, then replace them for piece of mind.

While the top end is off, I would check the connecting rods. See if you have ANY up and down movement in them. How many miles on the bike?? If it is high mileage, you may want to split the cases and examine everything while it is apart. Remember a weak top end doesn't stress a weak bottom end. But a strong top end will find every little problem in a weak bottom end.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.