V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy my first Harley in the next month or two and have a couple of questions. I am looking at the touring models. Probably the Electra Glide Standard, Road King or the Street Glide. I am leaning more towards the E-Glide Standard. The dealer I would go to has a 07 E-Glide Standard for $1000 off ($17,200 OTD). Are the improvements done on the 08s worth the extra? An 08 would be approximately $1200 more than the discounted 07. I would welcome any comments from the group on any of these bikes, as well as the benefits of the improvements on the 08s. I can hardly wait for the day!! Thanks for your help. ~!Awesome!

Dan

·
Registered
953 Posts
If your dealer has a rental program try an 07 and a 08 if available, I would go on a long ride with each.
The IDS is standard on 08's I believe and they make an improvement over the 07 as far as driveline noise and smoothness.
You can add it to the 07 easy enough but it is still money out of pocket.
Haven't rode an 08 but I own an 07 FLHR and while it is a good bike I am not completely satisifed with how it runs yet, on the fence about keeping it and spending more $$$ to get it to run like I want or moving on to a Kawasaki Concours.
Never thought I would say this but this is my last new HD.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, Bubba Neil. I plan to rent an E-Glide to make sure it is what I want. Just curious as to the thought process that brought you to possibly move away from Harleys. Specifically, what brought you to the Kawasaki Concours. The reason I ask is that there is always the nagging thought in my mind that a sport- tourer might be better for me, but I think I have come to the decision that I would always regret it if I didn't get the Harley when I had the chance (I'm getting a substantial bonus from the Army!!).
Any other comments/thoughts on these bikes from anyone else???

Dan

·
Registered
357 Posts
you want a "sport- tourer"
try to find a used FXR !!
or FXRT

sport bike, and works great for touring too .....
it doesn't come with bags ... blah blah, it's base is 'sport bike'

best handling bike HD ever made

The FXRT came with bags on it, you can of course put bags on it, but I choose not to on mine.

look in the FXR thread in this forum for pics and owners comments

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
If you were to buy a RoadKing you could always buy a detachable batwing so that you could have a radio if that is one of you reasons to buy an Eltra or Street Glide.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Only downside to the EG Standard is the silver engine and non-chrome primary, timing cover, rocker boxes, etc. No radio either. I'd buy a used EG Classic before a new Standard.

'08's have the throttle by wire, not sure I'm crazy about that. But they also have a 6 gallon tank.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
If'n you wanna tour at speed for days on end get the Concours or FJR, effortless riding at any speed you choose. If'n you wanna white knuckle it at 75, chitty-chitty-bang-bang style, get an HD touring bike.

Lefty

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RK05 said:
If you were to buy a RoadKing you could always buy a detachable batwing so that you could have a radio if that is one of you reasons to buy an Eltra or Street Glide.
My feeling is that for appr. $1000 less for the Standard I can get it with a fairing already, but on the other hand, I like the idea of it being removable on the RK.... What a dilemn :hmmm:
At this point, having a radio is not a big deal for me. I would probably get the GPS unit with MP3 for the tunes anyway.

Lefty... your statement is exactly my dilemna! Trying to decide what it is I want for the long haul. I don't intend to buy another bike for a long time after this. I asked a friend why he decided on a Harley instead of a Japanese cruiser, and his answer was, "I guess I just wanted a Harley!" I think that's what it boils down to.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Go look in the engine mod & 96" section, plenty of people happy with no trouble and plenty of people unhappy with trouble.

The IDS I mentioned in my 1st post was something I bought and added to my bike to improve drivetrain noise & smoothness, dealer kept telling me that is normal, all bikes do it, now some dealers are giving incentives for people to buy the kit and have it installed to correct what they were telling owners was a normal condition.

They did away with the timken crank bearing's in 02, now later year owners are finding out about excessive crank pinion runout and paying $$$$ to fix their new bikes.

Having owned an 02 and now and 07 I can say the 02 was a much better bike.

What Lefty said is another thing, I would rather ride then spend time and money getting a new bike to run like it should off the showroom floor.

I like Harley's too but can't see me buying another new one, most dealers biggest concern is to sell you a T-shirt or a new bike, fixing you current bike or making you happy is not their priority.
If I find a nice low mile 02 Road Glide or Road King I would probably buy it.

If your unsure you will do yourself a huge favor by riding a few bikes you are interested in before buying, HD, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Triumph, BMW, whatever it is.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Abs

One reason I would choose an '08 over an '07 would be to get the ABS option. My next one, whenever I can get the Missus to let me, will have ABS.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
djjentink said:
Lefty... your statement is exactly my dilemna! Trying to decide what it is I want for the long haul. I don't intend to buy another bike for a long time after this. I asked a friend why he decided on a Harley instead of a Japanese cruiser, and his answer was, "I guess I just wanted a Harley!" I think that's what it boils down to.
Yep, and that's why I have one, too. Nothing like riding a harley, it's like participating in a cross town crime spree. But, for touring, I'll be getting either a concours or FJR to go w/the Fatboy sometime this winter. I love my harley, but it like all its brethren, ummm, ahhh, has its limitations, and to get the jump on Berserker before he chimes in, it's not about the fukin' fairing.

Lefty

·
Premium Member
3,114 Posts
For only about 6% less I'd get the 08. Besides the obvious (depreciation) there are some very positive changes.
IDS which would cost you $200-$400. However, you might get it included.
There are also some changes to the 08 tranny that would make me believe that it is a "fix" to some of the 07 issues.
For the record, I'm a fairly happy 07 owner.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Bubba Neil said:
I like Harley's too but can't see me buying another new one, most dealers biggest concern is to sell you a T-shirt or a new bike, fixing you current bike or making you happy is not their priority.
and you think it will be different at any of the others??

How about at the Honda or BMW superstores? Will that be a $20k motorcyle or a $40k car? Guess who gets the attention. Parts?? Accessories??

I don't think this attitude is the sole purview of H-D dealers.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Lefty said:
If'n you wanna tour at speed for days on end get the Concours or FJR, effortless riding at any speed you choose. If'n you wanna white knuckle it at 75, chitty-chitty-bang-bang style, get an HD touring bike.

Lefty
i disagree,i cruise all the time at 75 plus mph ( fact i was out on I 40 an hour ago for about an hour) No white knuckles here; and thats on a '99 flhtcui with
67k miles on the clock.
Been coast to coast twice all interstate, knuckles are still titty pink.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nvsteve said:
For only about 6% less I'd get the 08. Besides the obvious (depreciation) there are some very positive changes.
IDS which would cost you $200-$400. However, you might get it included.
There are also some changes to the 08 tranny that would make me believe that it is a "fix" to some of the 07 issues.
For the record, I'm a fairly happy 07 owner.
This is begining to be my thinking also... More food for thought, thanks!

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
It is a never ending battle of metric versus Harley and has been and will be forever I think. But, the bottom line is that one buys what he wants and he's the one who has to live with his decision.
Let me just tell you my experiences for 35 years and take it with a grain of salt if you like, or form your own opinion, but I can tell you through my eyes how I've come to the bike I now have.

I use a motorcycle for pleasure. I'm not a commuter even though at times in my life I didn't own anything but a motorcycle. I've had quite a few dozens of motorcycles and have owned just about all the metrics and foreign from Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Triumph, Norton, BMW, Harley, Hodaka, Huskavarna, Penton, Riverside (Montgomery ward), BSA, and some I probably have forgotten about. I've had many many different types from dirt, to road, to sport, but mostly touring road bikes. I realized my passion on my third bike when I was 15 with a Honda CB350 when I was riding illegally because under 16 the largest bike one could ride with the MC certification was a bike under 5 brake HP which no one made. I guess a law left over from the moped and Cushman days. Even a Honda 50CC was more than that. But, what I learned is that I had a passion for traveling. I soon bought a Ranger batwing fairing for my 350 and a sissy bar and rack and the rest is history...I was hooked and have remained so ever since.
What I learned is you can justify the lack of comfort/inconvenience on any thing you really like and want to ride. I have stories of cross country adventures from a very early age. I've been through rain storms, tornados, hurricane winds, hail storms, freezing cold and blazing heat. I've seen the most beautiful weather one could ever experience and the worst nature could throw at a rider. I've ached with pain on a bike and shuttered with delight.
Until the Harley twin cam came along my experiences were not so good with Harleys or people on the road who rode them and I've helped many a Harley rider and metric rider get back on the road or get the help they needed to make it home. I've been that rider a few times myself.
With the non load bearing cases on the Harley since the EVO the old oil leaking undependable Harley myth is virtually a thing of the past. It is true. no matter what the cause of this explosive Harley fad or discovery or rediscovery by the baby boomer age group, the fact is that there has never been a better Harley or more reliability in a bike for me in the years and especially since 2000. I've been broken down on a metric 1200 miles from home and being told it was a three week delivery for a part from Japan. I've had electronics and parts fail on metrics and spent tons of money on tappets adjustment, maintenance, and short lived top ends from some of the tightest high performance engines available. I've lived with the high frequency vibration that would put your wrists to sleep after only a few hundred miles. I've lived with the fact that the metric companies will totally abandon you with less than a ten year old bike and the only basic parts like header pipes were $1500 from Honda and no after market available for these parts. I've about seen it all and experienced it all because I am for the passion of riding, not showboating or posing on the latest high tech or patriotic bike. But I have to say, I have never been more at ease, felt like I had a more comfortable bike, more reliable, more parts availability on any bike ever in my 35 years of riding than my current Harley. I know I wouldn't have any hang ups with riding any bike across country if I couldn't have my preference...but I chose the best bike for the open road for me and never had any more confidence than I have at this point in time with Harley Davidson. You can ride what you want, love what you pick, but never try to convince me that there is some bike that is better suited for the kind of long distance riding I do because I've been there and done that. If there is another I'd be happy with it would be because I'd be willing to sacrifice and not because I'd like it better. And to who ever suggested the Kawasaki Concours...I love the styling of sport European style bike and have owned them...from Honda ST1100, Yamaha turbo, to Concours...but the European styling is for quick European country to country touring...I travel almost twice that distance a day just to get out of Texas bahahahaha. I am not so old that I couldn't endure the discomfort of such a European touring riding position...but as a 15 year younger friend once told me on a little ole 650 mile ride, who happens to be a tri-athlete,..."I must be out of shape" as he popped Advil by the handful and constantly told me how he loved his sport touring bike. blaaaaaahahaha.
The bottom line is..I don't care what you choose, what you ride, how much you like or are willing to put up with on your current ride...I have never had a bike I felt more comfortable on and better about crossing this great country of ours on and felt more confident and have had less problems than on today's twin cam Harleys I've owned since the year 2000.
You pay your money and you live with what you choose. I've got what I want..I hope you buy what you really want and if it makes you feel like mine does me we'll see each other in passing on the open road with a smile on our faces.

Pardon the spelling and long sentences as usual. I hate typing and grammar. LOL

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Oh by the way...no, I haven't ever owned or ridden a pot bellied stove looking Moto Guzzi contraption or an outdated 1940's designed Russian Ural. But just about everything else in between that I've checked out I can say don't surfice for a fine U.S. open road touring bike in my honest opinion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you very much for that insight! Most of my riding expirience has been on dirtbikes and dual sports. I love dirtbikes and will definately keep my latest (KTM625SXC) for the times I need to go out on the trails, but taking my KTM out on the Autobahn here in Germany has not been fun. (If you want to talk about vibration, try taking a 625cc single cylinder dirtbike out on the highway at speeds of 65-75 miles per hour for 30 minutes or more!! Whew!!) This has lead me to the place I'm at right now. I want to be able to cruise the highways and local roads, be it at speed on the highway or a gentle cruise through the country. In my mind the Harley will be able to do just that. I just wanted the opinions of those who have the expirience. Everyone has given great information. Thanks.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
djjentink, I am so sorry for not realizing that you were from Germany. My experience in the U.S. is such as crossing the desert with an 800 mile ride with no traffic in site except an occasional 18 wheeler and speeds at 85 to 100 miles per hour. The speed limit is 70-85 and I'm looking for patrolling aircraft. LOL. Now for shorter runs for you on the autobahn I can say that maybe the bikes such as the Honda ST1300 might give you more of a quick smooth speed run at speeds in excess of 100 MPH up to 130 MPH. I sometimes forget that this forum is international.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts