V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys: I need to know what tires are the correct for the type of driving that I do with my 2005 Roadking Custom. I live in PR and most of trips are done in high altitudes with small roads and lots of curves. I heard that Metzeler tires are great tires but the only tires that I ever used are Dunlops that were issued when I bought my bike. And also, what is the correct size for the front and rear tires.

:thanks:

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
KingoftheRoad50 said:
Hi guys: I need to know what tires are the correct for the type of driving that I do with my 2005 Roadking Custom. I live in PR and most of trips are done in high altitudes with small roads and lots of curves. I heard that Metzeler tires are great tires but the only tires that I ever used are Dunlops that were issued when I bought my bike. And also, what is the correct size for the front and rear tires.

hahahahaha ASK CHUCK he's the tire expert! :roflback: :roflback:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
the correct size is on the mfg. label found on the left side of the frame neck. Ask others in your area for their suggestions regarding brand.

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
Small roads lots of curves?

KingoftheRoad50 said:

E-3's corner pretty darn good.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
KingoftheRoad50 said:

The ones you like and can afford...

{salute( :spank: {salute(

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for your very honest help, for those that really care about other people and have a little time to give a good and honest recommendation. For those that are just in the way of others, please take a hide to another forum and f### yourself.

Robby

·
Registered
433 Posts
My personal choice is Avon Venoms. I have Venoms on my Ultra and my FatBoy. I have Avons on my RS Warrior as well. I just bought an 06 RG and it has the stock dunflops which will at some point get changed out to Venoms.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,630 Posts
Mattman22033 said:
My personal choice is Avon Venoms. I have Venoms on my Ultra and my FatBoy. I have Avons on my RS Warrior as well. I just bought an 06 RG and it has the stock dunflops which will at some point get changed out to Venoms.
I'm with him. I love my Avons. The only thing I think I would do different is stay with the 140 on my rear for the Road King instead of the 150.

·
Registered
166 Posts
After hearing all the hype about Metzlers I tried a set for about 8000 miles on our old Ultra, the front wore really good but the back wore in a strange way, almost like the tread was coming off (much like a retread would, actually had hairline cracks at the corners) on the left side only, the rest of the tire was pretty uniform. I wanted to replace it but would have had to wait for a replacement tire as none of the local shops had any at the time. I switched back to the Dunlops, got the engraved wide whitewalls and like them better. The Dunlops have about 7000 miles and look much better. I really did not feel the "huge " improvement using the Metzlers that many talk about, and I know every Harley Dealer has Dunlops.. The Metzlers were a little better on some surfaces such as rain grooves and maybe a little more stable at high speeds than the Dunlops but not enough difference to make me feel the need to get another set.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm on my second set of Dunlops. I've road other bikes with the Metzlers, could not tell any difference. I personally beleive that technique in curves is more tangible than tire brand, except at extreme high speeds. jmho

·
Registered
199 Posts
E 3's

I am on my second set of Elite 3's. I would not run anything else. I love the handling. Ten to one better tire than the stock piece of crap.

Deac

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Deac said:
I am on my second set of Elite 3's. I would not run anything else. I love the handling. Ten to one better tire than the stock piece of crap.

Deac
I totally agree.
Totally!

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I replaced my stock Dunlops with Metzlers on my 05' RK and I love them. Difference between night and day and my Dunlops weren't in bad shape (about 5K miles). Corner and braking was really improved.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I like the OEM Dunlops, good tires.
Don't buy the cheaper series made in Japan though. From what I heard, they're junk. I forget the number but they don't have Harley Davidson on the sidewall.

·
Registered
977 Posts
KingoftheRoad50 said:

Robby,

Asking about tire preference will probably get you as many opinions as there are riders. What I feel about tires may not be to someone else's liking, but I'm sure happy to pass on what I have experienced.....

On my 02 Ultra, I went from the factory Dunlops to the Avon Venom X tires. Indy dealer who sold them to me advised me to be careful until I got used to them. He was right, the ride and handling was like going from a car with manual steering to one with power steering. I really loved the Avon's, especially for riding the hills and twisties down in the central Texas Hill Country. The only problem I had with the Avons was the mileage. Being a softer, 'stickier' tire was great for handling in the curves, but overall longevity on our endless 2 lane blacktops up here in North Texas wasn't that good.

I went with Metzler 880's for my next step. I had heard a lot about them from friends and internet boards, but my overall 'seat of the pants' impression was not that good.... the 'power steering' feeling I had with the Avon's was gone, and the Ultra actually seemed to handle very differently, especially at slower speeds. It seemed to have a 'clumsy' feeling, and yes, I did have the tires aired according to specs.... I am very adamant about checking tire pressures.

With only 3,500 miles on the Metzler 880's, I had them changed out for a set of the new Dunlop E-3's. Again, I had heard a lot about them, and I liked what I was hearing. Wow, what a difference ! That 'power steering' feeling was back and my first trip back down to the Texas Hill Country with the E-3's just happened to be during a monsoon type of weekend. The E-3's did a superb job of handling the curves on very wet roads and held their grip on a couple of low water crossings with moss on top of the cement roadway that was under the fast moving water.

My overall impression after trying the factory Dunlops, Avon Venom X's, Metzler 880's, and now the Dunlop E-3 tires is that the Dunlop E-3's are the tires I will go with from now on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts