V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Seasoned and Baked
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking thru a bunch of online Harley ads. Most have prices, but then you see the one that states "Call for price."
What that REALLY means is, 'the price is so high, it would make you fall over! But call, and maybe we can convince you to buy.'

Any other what they say - what they really mean, cliche's?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
When my brothin law was buying his RK, I did some of the emailing around for msrp dealers. we went for an hour ride to a dealer that said msrp over the phone and had the bike he wanted. when we got there he said no one sells them for msrp and that there's a line of people waiting to buy these bikes. matter of fact he just sold one to some guy in the middle east. he just walked away from him and said lets go.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
WideOne said:
What that REALLY means is, 'the price is so high, it would make you fall over! But call, and maybe we can convince you to buy.'

You got it!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
"great starter bike" actually means: You'll outgrow it in about 4 days.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
when someone buys their first HD, they if they don't know better think the price these dealers tell them is what they are everywhere. I've talked to people in showrooms before and told them where to get a fair deal.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
The sad part of that, Brown, is that MOST dealerships have that little flyer floating around, the one with the MSRP prices printed right in them. Take the flyer to the bike, compare. Real easy, isn't it?

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
A popular practice at the dealer is to take a brand new bike and bolt on $1500 worth of chrome "stuff" and then call it a custom bike and ask $3000 more for it. If you want the bike without all the stuff, too bad this is how it comes.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Springer:
A popular practice at the dealer is to take a brand new bike and bolt on $1500 worth of chrome "stuff" and then call it a custom bike and ask $3000 more for it. If you want the bike without all the stuff, too bad this is how it comes.
They do the same crap here. They show the msrp price, but there is $3k worth of stuff bolted on. I asked what if I want just the bike so I can select my own pipes and stuff. They said they did not have one and most people liked the way they accessorized them. I guess so, they sell the **** out of them. Must be a bunch of weekend riders buying them I guess.

·
~~Finder Of Paths ~~
203 Posts
ok this seems like a good place to ask a question I have had a week or so.
Not planning on buying till next summer, have been in to the local dealer 3 times in last 3 months just to drool a bit ussually. Last time I was there I decided to chat with the salesman a few minutes just to get a feel for their pricing. (ussually just tell them "just looking" and blow them off) I talked to him about an '06 ultra classic. They have added SE slipons, SE intake, stage 1 download, driver backrest, luggage rack, saddlebag gaurds and as I guess is pretty much standard now the 1000 mile maintenance. Their price $22500. I figure the MSRP @ $21280 without all they have added. So they are only asking $1220 over MSRP. Thats not really bad considering whats added is it? I haven't taken the time to add up prices on what all was added and no idea of labor on it if I had delaer install them, but surely it would be somewhere between $1500-$2000 in parts and labor isnt it? As I said at the start I'm not buying till next summer and if I make it that long maybe I will wait and see what changes in August or so on the the '07's (maybe a 6 speed gear box then?) I'm just trying to get a feel for if when the time comes my local dealership is going to be one to even mess with or if I'm going to have to go out of town. If I have to go out of town up here in the Texas Panhandle, its not like some parts of the country where its 20 miles to the next town with a dealer I'm looking at at least 200 miles probably more like 350 to 450 miles to find a better deal.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
LittleBear said:
They do the same crap here.
... And here also. Now our dealer has started selling a battery tender for the bikes. They put the plug thingy on the battery and for $65 you get a $39.95 battery charger.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
trmn8r-II,
If you are serious about buying one, find out when your dealear does his order cycles. Dealears are on allocation, or they used to be. They put in the order 3 to 6 months ahead of delivery time. Have them order a bike in the color you want and leave it stock. Then you can add your own stuff yourself and have the bike you want and save money. I think doing this makes for a more personal ride you have made the decisions on, not your local dealer.
They should be ordering the "07's around March I think.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
trmn8r-II said:
. I figure the MSRP @ $21280 without all they have added. So they are only asking $1220 over MSRP. Thats not really bad considering whats added is it?
The thing to remember is that it's $1220 over MSRP, not over Dealer Cost. They're already making money at MSRP. Imagine looking at a new car with a sticker price (MSRP) of $30k, then finding out that the dealership wants an additional $2k over that. It's reasonable if you want to pay it, but you can do better.

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
The market is soft.

Go in and low ball.....if they call you back you got em.

I flat out asked.....How much if I buy this bike NOW?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts