V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago i blew a head gasket, oil coming out between cylinder and head. I fixed it seemed to run fine except i've always had a noise that seemed like valve train noise, i had it before the head gasket , but i think it has gotten louder.
I had a mechanic listen to it with a stethoscope and head said it was coming from the primary , seemed loudest near the inspection cover. I checked the chain seemed good , i have a HB 125 tensioner.
Today i take it out and going down the highway i smelled oil , oil was pouring out of my aircleaner. The bike has EFI. I noticed smoe coming out the pipes . After i got home i let it cool down and pulled the plugs , they were oily.
After i cleaned it up i put more oil in it and it ran fine , no oil out the throttle body.
What is wrong with it??????

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 10,000 miles on the build, and i,m asking you guys , not Steve.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like i said it runs fine now. Don't think the rings are fried. When i blew trhe head gasket i was doing about 90. Today when all this happened i was doing about 80 - 90.
Now i'm afraid to ride it.

·
Let er rip!
2,876 Posts
My bike still ran fine even though it was down 40 psi in CCP. It still dynoed at 108 ft lbs.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
mori55 said:
Like i said it runs fine now. Don't think the rings are fried. When i blew trhe head gasket i was doing about 90. Today when all this happened i was doing about 80 - 90.
Now i'm afraid to ride it.
Check your oil pump allignment and make sure the oring is not knocked out of place. If you are spuing oil I would not call that running fine.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What i,m saying is , it stopped spuing oil. I'm not going to ride it . but it's not smoking or missing or leaking oil out now.

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Mori,

Have the leak down and compression tests done. That gives you the condition of cylinders and top end. If that checks out the next step would be to check the condition of your oil pump.

Check this out starting at post # 22.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111832

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I am going to go along with the oil pump. I had an 04 that if you ran it hard it would puke oil out the filter, but if you ran it easy it would be OK. If I ran it a qt. low of oil t would be OK. Had gear drive put in and when they did, they of course alighned the pump Never puked again.
cig

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
I agree with Mtclassic....oil carry over. Rings don't fix them selves but oil level in the engine will vary with a bad alignment of the pump, damaged pump body, bad ''0'' ring in the case to oil pump savaging port, etc. When savaging is hindered you end up with oil carry over into the intake track. Take it for ride but ride it easy and I'm sure it will run fine, then take it out on the hi way and run it hard....if oil starts to flow again it it ''oil carry over''

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
A bunch of good advice so far, but I'll add .02.

Personally, I'd pull your camplate to check your oil pump. Take a look at the scavenging georotors. If they are shot, your engine will sump and set your engine up to puke like it did. While your in there, check your pinion shaft run out. Especially if you haven't already done a Timken upgrade, that noise could be the left side bearing, the metal it throws will eat the georotors, and it gets worse from there. Not to be the voice of doom, but a visual check on the pump and a runout check might be a good idea.

·
Bending Wrenches since 73
156 Posts
Sounds like it is building some crankcase pressure and spewing oil into the air cleaner and getting sucked into the intake. Probably has a scored cylinder. You ought to route the breather hoses out of the air cleaner and go thrash it again to see if this is the case.
Should it prove to be the case, cylinder leak down test may be inconclusive due to the piston being at the top of the stroke and you'll only be testing the sealing ability at that little area of the cylinder.
The failed head gasket it had, would seam to me, to indicate the trouble hole. The excessive carbon in that combustion chamber could have raised the compression to the threshold of failure.
You could take a look at the spark plugs and look deep down along the side of the insulator for evidence of carbon deposit. The oil troubled one will be self evident and the companion, though polluted by the ingestion from the intake, won't have near the amount.......
After all this procedure is completed and the trouble is found to be what I have deduced, it can chalked up to too much heat killed the machine. No matter how the excessive heat is caused, be it friction by contaminants, lack of abundant cooling fluid (oil) or too thin a fuel mixture......excessive heat is the enemy of the machine.
Just my thoughts on the info you provided.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lots of great advice. I think i ,ll check the oil pump and pull the primary cover off. I have to believe the noise i'm hearing is related to this.
The mechanic said the noise wasn't coming from the valve train but sound loudest near the primary inspection hole.
i hope it's not the crank bareing .
I'll need some help since i never had the oil pump out.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any idea what it cost to have the timekin coversion done?

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
98" Kit

This could be another one the chrome bore kits with problems.
Your huffing oil out the breathers/pipes, have a noise, etc. I'd pull it apart, and see whats up with the heads/cylinders. If it walks like a duck.........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts