V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a big socket for the rear axle of a 2005 EG. I don't need a set that big so I will buy just the one I need. Looks like maybe 1-3/8 but I want to be sure before taking the muffler off.

Tom

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
I don't recall but you could take a crescent wrench, make it fit, and then get the correct socket that way. I'm fairly confident that it isn't a 1 3/8, that's fricken huge. My Dyna has a 15/16" and my Sturgis has a 1". Just an idea...

·
Registered
280 Posts
I wish the heck they would use all SAE or all metric. I hope the dyna is 15/16 cause I'm takin it apart next week and back a while someone walked with all my metric sockets.

·
Registered
249 Posts
ratrider said:
I wish the heck they would use all SAE or all metric. I hope the dyna is 15/16 cause I'm takin it apart next week and back a while someone walked with all my metric sockets.
Make simple inspection. Big and obvious difference in 15/16 and 36mm (~1 +1/2") A single socket can be bought and even borrowed from places such as Autozone with a deposit.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
i went and bought a combination box end and open end wrench for the rear axel nut. you get the leverage you need and you don't need to take the muffler off to get the nut off.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Since I'm only on two wheels, I'll take the trouble of pulling my right muffler and hearing the click of my torque wrench. Improper torque can be:

Too tight = premature bearing failure.
Too loose = well, you know it won't be pretty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts