V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 01 Deuce. I want to know what I should expect in a good wind deflector? I'm a new rider. That's why all the questions. The current Windshield on it is a Super Sport Detachable #57837-00A
bracket hardware 58397-00

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
ever ridden a gold wing? or a fat chick?

it's about the same.....so i'm told. personally i have never done either.:nono:

seriously, you will love it if the wind bothers you now. i am assuming you have one of those smaller windshields currently.

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
More wind resistance:coffee:

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
A pretty subjective question you have asked, one which will get all sorts of interesting responses, as you have already seen. It might better to ask yourself the question, what am I expecting when I put a windshield on? Obviously, you won't be getting the same kind of protection from the elements that a bike with a faring will get. You will probably some wind deflected and keep a few bugs and rocks kicked up from the cagers from smacking in you in the face etc., but not much more than that.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Okay... big windshield = less wind; small windshield = more wind; short windshield = maybe your helmet gets buffeted.

It comes down to personal preference. I have detachable hardware and tried several windshields before settling on the compact I have now. I went with the compact because I didn't want a big, horsey windshield and I wanted to be able to see over it - not have to see through it. I'm short enough that I see over the one I have and the wind is still deflected over my helmet. Works as intended - but I've never used it yet.

IMO, the mini fairings/quarter fairings/headlight-and-speedo fairings -- are more for looks than function, so ya just get what rings your bell... I kinda like that quarter fairing myself.

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
I've got the huge one that came with the Heritage Classic, and no fairing. The only thing i don't like about it is when it rains, (which is every day) and I haven't waxed it recently, it gets hard to see thru. Especially if I'm wearing a helmet.

I would be interested to see if there is a windshield wiper available that is not too obnoxious, that hooks up to the passing lite switch.

·
Registered
40 Posts
windshield

A key, I have found in 4 different rides, is to make sure that your eyes are looking OVER the top of the shield, not through it. You can always duck down a little, but stretching up over the shield is a major pain.

Each of my bikes has had a windshield. Removeable ones are best since when its nice and hot and you're taking a short ride, you won't want the shield. But for cool temps, they are helpful since you're not in the wind blast. Think wind chill factor -- it exists even in balmy temperatures.

For long rides, the windshield helps prevent what I call the "water ski" effect. Your arms never feel stretched out even after an 8 hour ride at highway speeds. It can give you extra time on the road in comfort.

For your Deuce, you probably don't want a Heritage Classic look. HD sells lots of removeable shields. Aftermarket (Fat Book, Custom Chrome, any bike mag ads) will show you lots of shields. Look at all of them.

Width has never been a major factor. Unless you get one with molded-in hand guards, your hands are always going to be in the wind. Height (and angle for style) are the major considerations once you've decided whether you want an easily-removeable shield or not.

·
fair to partly cloudy
80 Posts
Mike H. said:
I've got the huge one that came with the Heritage Classic, and no fairing. The only thing i don't like about it is when it rains, (which is every day) and I haven't waxed it recently, it gets hard to see thru. Especially if I'm wearing a helmet.

I would be interested to see if there is a windshield wiper available that is not too obnoxious, that hooks up to the passing lite switch.
I know what you mean...I've been giving that wiper idea some thought and think it could be done if there was enough interest in it...even just a small hand operated one would be nice

although I think a short windshield that I can see over would solve the problem as well

·
Registered
434 Posts
The key is having a "good" windshield .With a good one there is a pocket of quiet air around you, the wind noise is significantly reduced, and you have good visibility. However, it's difficult to find a really good windshield to just bolt on. The bad one's will subject to to helmet buffeting which will drive you crazy. Another problem is a lack of air flow when moving slowly on a hot day, you can get really hot.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I can't believe they would actually manufacture something like that.:huh:

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
8-Ball said:
Has anyone tried this thing from Corbin. It looks like a triceratops to me, but was wondering how effective it is?

Looks more like a foreskin to me...:xhere:

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
Looks more like a foreskin to me...:xhere:

only you my man, only you.
but both of you r right!

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
It also depends on your age. At my age, without a shield at 70 mph, my face flaps on the back of my neck. At 80 mph, it looks like I'm being born.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts