V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't even know if this is a problem because so many other riders have experienced it as well. Like a lot of bikes, I have taken the breather hose coming off the rocker boxes, and instead of routing it to the air cleaner, I just run it down to the bottom of the bike. Most of the time it stays moist. However today there was evidence of more oil than usual. I did about 300 miles today, all at sea level, and I was not running it very hard. Every time I stopped and parked, there was a small oil puddle under the hose when I came back to the bike. Some puddles larger than others, (no more than 1" diameter), and some just a drop or two (what I am used to seeing). Of course the bottom of the frame had a nice layer of oil on it too.

I know these bikes have a propensity to burp out oil from time to time, I was just wondering if this amount that I considerd to be exceesive was normal. Should I be looking for anything in particular?

Thanks​

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
running the hose up and under the tank will help. is this on an evo?

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
claydbal said:
running the hose up and under the tank will help. is this on an evo?
The engine is a Twin Cam. Won't running the hose upwards defeat the whole purpose of the vent and allow oil and pressure to build up in the hose? I'm probably missing something here.

Thanks

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
Paniolo said:
The engine is a Twin Cam. Won't running the hose upwards defeat the whole purpose of the vent and allow oil and pressure to build up in the hose? I'm probably missing something here.

Thanks
I ran mine to a K&N Oil Breather Canister (Drag or Custom Chrome) it has a drain plug on the bottom to drain the oil from the breathers. Seems to be doing a very good job, no more oil on the bike...

{salute( :wootdnc: {salute(

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
Paniolo said:

Thanks
not that i have seen. it still vents, but its harder to push the oil vapor uphill. and when you shut the engine off, any oil clinging to the hose will drip back down.

of course if you are getting lots of puke, you may wanna drill the return holes in the rocker support and also look for the reason you are getting excess oil through the breather(s).

·
?????
3,531 Posts
1711tab said:
I ran mine to a K&N Oil Breather Canister (Drag or Custom Chrome) it has a drain plug on the bottom to drain the oil from the breathers. Seems to be doing a very good job, no more oil on the bike...
Got a picture of that canister. looking to install one on my bike just not sure what and where.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
This can be as simple as over filling the oil bag or foamy oil (airation). Try running the bike with the oil level at the add one quart mark and see if that makes a difference. If not try running straight wt nonsynthetic (50wt) and see if there is a change. This should tell you something.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
msocko3 said:
Got a picture of that canister. looking to install one on my bike just not sure what and where.

No I don't, I mounted it on the left side using the swing arm cover lower bolt.

{salute( :spank: {salute(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts