V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some info on rear tires, I have done a lot of reading on here. I need a tire that can handle the motor I just built. Someone recommended a k591. I have never run these. I also have been reading about me880 and avon's. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I don't really care about milage, just traction.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,762 Posts
Man, I don't have any specific knowledge to share. No smartassery intended, but the characteristics that'll help straight line traction are wide, flat, and sticky. Basic stuff, but I don't know you. You may not have been aware.

joe

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
K591 and avon venoms are about the best. Unless you change to a 17 inch wheel and look into sport bike tires.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you go to the Darkside? Mine hooks up great.
Darkside? I'm not sure what your talking about. I am well aware that softer compound tires hook up best, and wide flat tires would be great for drag racing, but I'm looking for real world experience. Thanks txchop, probably gonna switch over to a 17 in the future, just spend a good amount on the motor, so it has to wait. I've been looking for a 17x5.5 to lace up on my stock hub.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I would stay away from the laced wheel. Unless you like tightening/truing frequently when beatin on a tire. Duece wheel is cheap but heavy, there are other aftermarket mags to look into. Give Kosman a call when you are ready.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Darkside refers to the use of a car tire on the back of a bike. I'm running a P205/50R-17 on my Train and it hooks up great. There are narrower tires available in a 16" diameter that may fit your application.
Darksiding may not be for you but you should at least investigate it for yourself. You will find that most of the naysayers base their opinions on personal feelings and not on researched fact.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would stay away from the laced wheel. Unless you like tightening/truing frequently when beatin on a tire. Duece wheel is cheap but heavy, there are other aftermarket mags to look into. Give Kosman a call when you are ready.
I was also looking at duece wheels. Not sure the direction I want to go yet. I built my front wheel, powder coated hub and rim to match paint and laced with diamond cut spokes. Was thinking about the same for the rear, but with all the pot holes in this state and the way I ride, maybe I should stick with a mag. Running a 01 night train rear wheel right now. Probably goin to pick up a k591 for now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Need some more info on this

I'm running a P205/50R-17 on my Train and it hooks up great. There are narrower tires available in a 16" diameter that may fit your application.
Tunnelrat - not too sure on car tyre sizes so I'd appreciate some more info, especially photos of how you set the rear up. I run an '05 Train over in the UK and I'm thinking of changing the rear this winter so I'm looking at alternatives to the standard 200+ wide tyre conversion. Something a bit different to the norm. Car tyres might do the trick.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Tee, I'm currently running a Sumitomo HRZ II P205/50R-17. It is a direct fit on my stock 08 wheel and no mods needed to fit the swingarm or fender.
I got about 30K out of the last tire and should get even better on this one.

I will not advocate Darksiding to anyone but I will recommend that you google it, do the research and decide for yourself if it is something you wish to do. Be prepared to catch a bunch of flack from the internet "experts" that have never tried it and really know nothing about tires. Those comments are at least entertaining though.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
IME, for a street tire the K591 is outstanding. IMO, a little stickier than the Avon.

At the track I run less air pressure - as low as 12 lbs, on the street I run the normal tire pressure. On my 98", it stuck real good and was easy to launch with street or strip. That was the stock 150 X 16 K591.

Went to a 17" rim on my new build and fit the 160 X 17 K591. I expect it will be okay and is the largest I can fit under my stock fender. That's a consideration as well.

If you want the stickiest street/strip tire out there, check the Shinko or "sticky Micky" - MT's shootout tire. Don't expect great mileage out of either. Don't expect the mileage of the K591 to match the stocker either.

Again, JME, YMMV.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IME, for a street tire the K591 is outstanding. IMO, a little stickier than the Avon.

At the track I run less air pressure - as low as 12 lbs, on the street I run the normal tire pressure. On my 98", it stuck real good and was easy to launch with street or strip. That was the stock 150 X 16 K591.

Went to a 17" rim on my new build and fit the 160 X 17 K591. I expect it will be okay and is the largest I can fit under my stock fender. That's a consideration as well.

If you want the stickiest street/strip tire out there, check the Shinko or "sticky Micky" - MT's shootout tire. Don't expect great mileage out of either. Don't expect the mileage of the K591 to match the stocker either.

Again, JME, YMMV.
Thanks for your feedback, with the 160, did you have to use pully spacers or take the belt guard off? I've really been thinking about a 180 tire in the future, been reading into it.
The stock 401 lasted a long time. It was fine with the stock 88", now it sucks. I'm willing to trade mileage for traction.

·
Outsider
1,339 Posts
If you had 18" rims you could run Bridgestone G-850/G-851 tires. They last 9000 miles... no issue with wheelspin, but flipping over backward is a concern...

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Thanks for your feedback, with the 160, did you have to use pully spacers or take the belt guard off? I've really been thinking about a 180 tire in the future, been reading into it.
The stock 401 lasted a long time. It was fine with the stock 88", now it sucks. I'm willing to trade mileage for traction.
That's exactly what I did and never looked back. With the stocker on a hard launch, I'd spin through a lot of first and then 1/2 of second. No fun.

Had to use spacers but got it perfectly centered. The belt is close but makes it. The belt guard will go on in the next day or so and I'll see if it needs a little grinding or is okay as-is.

I have other issues related to fitment of a truetrac and non-OEM swingarm, so it's a WIP at the moment.

FWIW, IMHO the 160 looks like it was made to fit in there and as if it's only slightly bigger than the 150. Side-by-side with a 150 and the difference is more apparent. Looks pretty good to me.

More FWIW - IMO, no tire - except maybe a really big-azz one - will hold the torque of a hard launch after a point. Got to learn clutch control and / or do easier launches.

With a lot of power - you will find weak points. To me, the 160 tire is a good safety valve and so long as it's controllable and not excessive, wheelspin is preferred to breakage. IMHO. YMMV.

That's what I'm saying now. I might change my mind after riding it a while. If you see me with a 240 on the rear, you'll know :redrolf:

:whistle:

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you had 18" rims you could run Bridgestone G-850/G-851 tires. They last 9000 miles... no issue with wheelspin, but flipping over backward is a concern...

That bike looks like it hooks up good, thanks for the info and the big smile "flipping over backward":)

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's exactly what I did and never looked back. With the stocker on a hard launch, I'd spin through a lot of first and then 1/2 of second. No fun.

Had to use spacers but got it perfectly centered. The belt is close but makes it. The belt guard will go on in the next day or so and I'll see if it needs a little grinding or is okay as-is.

I have other issues related to fitment of a truetrac and non-OEM swingarm, so it's a WIP at the moment.

FWIW, IMHO the 160 looks like it was made to fit in there and as if it's only slightly bigger than the 150. Side-by-side with a 150 and the difference is more apparent. Looks pretty good to me.

More FWIW - IMO, no tire - except maybe a really big-azz one - will hold the torque of a hard launch after a point. Got to learn clutch control and / or do easier launches.

With a lot of power - you will find weak points. To me, the 160 tire is a good safety valve and so long as it's controllable and not excessive, wheelspin is preferred to breakage. IMHO. YMMV.

That's what I'm saying now. I might change my mind after riding it a while. If you see me with a 240 on the rear, you'll know :redrolf:

:whistle:
What size shocks are you running. I recently switch to 10.5 burlys, I'm sure this doesn't help with traction, but they look good.
Spinning the tire is only fun the first couple times.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Forget exactly if they're 11.5" or 12.5" - whatever the stock OEM length for an FXD is what I'm running. Went with Works. Fantastic product. However, wish I'd gone a bit longer. Scraped the hell out of my last pipe.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts