V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I've never had anything powder-coated before, but i have a general knowledge of how it works (via OCC TV show). What kind of questions should I ask the powder-coater to make sure he/she knows what there doing etc? I don't want to fork over hard earned $$ without knowing their going to do a good job. Should I ask/expect to see samples?

To put it in perspective, I have a new set of HD Chrome Triple Trees (46290-04), my stock fork sliders and ISO foot pegs that i would like to have powder-coated black to match the frame. I also have ISO grips I want powder-coated matte black to match the stock controls.

If I have one item coated one day, and then have another coated the same color a month or so later, would I have to worry about the color not matching? Meaning is there any color difference in powder batches, like there can be with paint?

Thanks alot...

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
I would guess there is a possibility that items done at different times might not match exactly. Its always better to do everything at once or to at least get the specs on the powder so you can make sure they use the same manufacturer in the future.
I would also make sure they allow you to approve the quality of the work so you can return items that the work may be suspect on.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Have all your powder coating done in the same batch. This is especially important with bright colors. I would check around and get references. Talk to some people in your area who are into street rods or custom cars. You don't want to drop your stuff of some place where your parts will get "lost", or take "Just one more week" to get done!

·
Registered
29 Posts
go to some bike shops and ask for a good shop to do this for you, ask the bike shop also if they have had any work done by the shop in question. it would be better to do all the same colors at one time but not nessasary, we have customers that bring parts in at differant time for the same color with out a problem matching (unless it is a candy color). once you find a shop go there and look at some samples, if the shop does not have anything for you to look at, run! there are powdercoating shops and custom powdercoating shops. at our shop when someone comes in and wants some coating done, we ask most of the questions such as what color what kind of finish(standard or show finish) whaty needs to be masked. and if they have any questions we answer in detail. there is a lot of places that powder coat at an industrial level, that is so differant than a custom coating shop. granted the price may be less, like it was said before in another tread "if you want it to look like a bb-q grill take it to an industrial coater if you want it to look like a part for a custom bike take to a custom coater. all i can say i ask around, talk to the local bike shops, if there is a good shop around you will get their name more than once i bet.

steve
www.gforcecoatings.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
powder coat question

I was wondering if they make a "bondo" type material that I could use that is easy to work with that has metal flakes or something in it that allows it to be powdercoated? I want to powder coat my frame rather than paint it but I want to fill in all my welds and sand nice and smooth.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dan Stewart said:
I was wondering if they make a "bondo" type material that I could use that is easy to work with that has metal flakes or something in it that allows it to be powdercoated? I want to powder coat my frame rather than paint it but I want to fill in all my welds and sand nice and smooth.

yes they do make a filler that will work under powder coat. try "lab metal" or "metal-2-metal", but they might shrink a little when they are heated for the first time. all of the body work that our shop does prior to powder coating, gets run through a cure cycle before the powder ever goes on.

steve
www.gforcecoatings.com

·
Registered
165 Posts
How do you prepare chrome to powdercoat / paint? I have a small sandblasting kit with Dupont Starblast. I have a two chrome V&H Big Shot exhaust tips that need to be either painted or powder coated black. What's the best way to (cheaply) get a good anchor for the coating?

·
Registered
29 Posts
is the chrome in good shape, not pited or flaking? if it is then scuff it real good so the coating has something to bite on. but i would be best to remove the chrome before coating. we send our peices out to a chrome shop so they can remove the chrome, its a little pricey, but it is the best way. another thing is how hot are the tips going to get, if they get too hot on the bike it may hurt the coating.

steve

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wouldn't/Shouldn't the powdercoater be able to remove the "old" chrome? For a fee of course...

·
05 Deuce
263 Posts
Petrock, when you powder coat, ask for sandblast, primer, and powdercoating. A good majority of powder coaters use the Tiger DryLac Paint, and you can research their website.
I've used Professional Finishing in Richmond and SMAC Industries in Redwood City. Turnaround once they get the paint, is usually a day or two. There aren't too many powdercoaters here in the BayArea due to EPA. Definitely ask around custom build bike shops and painters too though.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I understand the sand blast part (to remove old chrome etc) but I didn't know there was a primer step. What kind of stuff is it and how does it work? I thought the powdercoat dust went right onto the bear metal.

btw, thanks for the tips on local powdercoaters.

·
Registered
29 Posts
petrock said:
I understand the sand blast part (to remove old chrome etc) but I didn't know there was a primer step. What kind of stuff is it and how does it work? I thought the powdercoat dust went right onto the bear metal.

btw, thanks for the tips on local powdercoaters.
chrome is tough to sandblast off unless it is bad(pitted, flaking, ect). our shop sends it to a chrome shop they have a tank that is used to strip chrome off your parts. the primer that you ar asking about, it works well it is mainly used in marine applications to reduce corrosion. a zinc based powder primer is what we use on some items. for the most part the primer is not needed for most jobs, our supplier says unless it will be exposed to wet enviroment(salt water, marine) primer is not needed.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, its going to be on my bike and I'm not one to shy away from the rain. Don't think it would hurt to have the primer I guess. Depends on how much extra it costs. I've gotta shop around for a good powdercoater in my area. Got a lead on three right now. Need to call them up and see whats what...

·
Registered
29 Posts
i don't think rain is what they mean by a wet enviroment. the primer is used alot on boat parts sometimes outdoor furinture and equipment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts