V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be doing my first service soon (not the bikes first service) and was wondering what Primary Oil to use... I plan on using Mobil 1 products (20w-50 v-twin in the engine, 75-90 gear oil in transmission) but I am not sure what to use in the primary.

I have heard/read that you should use a lighter oil in the primary but I know Harley recommends 20w-50. Of the three, which would you use in the Primary Mobil Synthetic 10W-40, Mobile 20W-50 V-twin, or Harley Primary lube?

Thanks.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
03fatty said:
I will be doing my first service soon (not the bikes first service) and was wondering what Primary Oil to use... I plan on using Mobil 1 products (20w-50 v-twin in the engine, 75-90 gear oil in transmission) but I am not sure what to use in the primary.

I have heard/read that you should use a lighter oil in the primary but I know Harley recommends 20w-50. Of the three, which would you use in the Primary Mobil Synthetic 10W-40, Mobile 20W-50 V-twin, or Harley Primary lube?

Thanks.
20W-50 V-Twin

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
i thought awhile back that someone posted that the Formula + was 10w-40...was that wrong?

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
xkvator said:
i thought awhile back that someone posted that the Formula + was 10w-40...was that wrong?
Wrong for the bike? Explain

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
The Mobil 1 20/50 v-twin will work great in your primary. It is a little $$ to put in there though. I use it in there just so Im not having to buy other oils.
I also use the 15/50 car oil when the 20/50 is not available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Primary oil

I went to a engine oil demo in Daytona last year, I learned that Harley synthetic oil is made by Citgo. Also Tested was Mobile 1 V-Twin. They recomended running this oil in all 3 places. I have been running it for a year now. My oil temp dropped 15 degrees.Also you can be sure Mobile makes their own oil.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Harleychoochoo said:
I went to a engine oil demo in Daytona last year, I learned that Harley synthetic oil is made by Citgo. Also Tested was Mobile 1 V-Twin. They recomended running this oil in all 3 places. I have been running it for a year now. My oil temp dropped 15 degrees.Also you can be sure Mobile makes their own oil.
I've always tried to find out who made their oil. Thanks, are you sure about this??

·
Registered
129 Posts
Harleychoochoo said:

This is true...I called Citgo tech support and they told me "yes we make most of the HD lubricants". The guy also told me Syn3 was the "best" synthetic oil they manufactured. So I called Blackstone labs and they told me the SYn3 was very good as was Mobil1 Vtwin and Amsoil. So now......I'm totally confused but I don't think you get hurt with any of them. :confused:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
KBFXDLI said:
This is true...I called Citgo tech support and they told me "yes we make most of the HD lubricants". The guy also told me Syn3 was the "best" synthetic oil they manufactured. So I called Blackstone labs and they told me the SYn3 was very good as was Mobil1 Vtwin and Amsoil. So now......I'm totally confused but I don't think you get hurt with any of them. :confused:
Look in this thread for an attachment from an independant lab under my name.
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70658

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with the HD Formula+? I just put it in my primary and trans. It said on the bottle it was for both but I'm a little nervous. I've always used Bel Ray and HD stuff.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Barry Smith said:
Has anyone had any experience with the HD Formula+? I just put it in my primary and trans. It said on the bottle it was for both but I'm a little nervous. I've always used Bel Ray and HD stuff.
I would never use either of those but that is just me. I'm very picky about my oils.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
LittleBear said:
Just to add more confusion, check out this report.
View attachment 29718

I have not read the article yet but in looking at the charts there are somethings that should be pointed out. Moly is great but in a combustion chamber it will start to coat the walls of the cylinder which is good to a point. It then, when reaching a certain point starts to flake off and turn into an abrasive. Moly is not recommended in Diesels for that reason.

Next is the magnesium additive. High magnesium in an oil is what gives you varnishing in the engine after the oil has been heated up. The higher the amount of magnesium the greater the amount of varnishing. Varnish is best left to wood furniture and boats.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Try B&M trick shift in your primary, an automatic transmission fluid for high performance applications. Will stand up to the heat and your clutch will love it. Auto trans are comprised of clutch's bands pumps etc. need a fluid that won't gum up the internals. Make sense? I've been running this in my primary for years.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You guys all make real good points and one of my best friends has a V-rod in South Florida and won't use anything but Amsoil 20w50 and tells me I'm an idiot for considering Syn3. But my bike has 100 miles on it. I'm going to go synthetic at 200 miles then change again at 1,000. My riding mileage per year with the weather here is under 5,000 miles so I will only change 2x a year anyway. Two things I do think everyone agrees on is that all the synthetic MC oils are better than dino oil and if you have a seperate trans sump then gear lube is better than motor oil. So, thats what I'm doing. I'll switch brands around until I find one that works but it will all be synthetic.

·
Banned
169 Posts
compressor#v said:
Try B&M trick shift in your primary, an automatic transmission fluid for high performance applications. Will stand up to the heat and your clutch will love it. Auto trans are comprised of clutch's bands pumps etc. need a fluid that won't gum up the internals. Make sense? I've been running this in my primary for years.
I've tried auto trans fluid in the primary just as an experiment, and only short term to see if I could notice better plate separation, I couldn't. But now I'm thinking of running this http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/scmax.html long term in the chain case of my Twin Cam.

:cheers:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
KKRider said:
I've tried auto trans fluid in the primary just as an experiment, and only short term to see if I could notice better plate separation, I couldn't. But now I'm thinking of running this http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/scmax.html long term in the chain case of my Twin Cam.

:cheers:
Looking at the viscosity properties of that oil. Do you really think that is a good idea? Remember the other job of the primary oil is to lube the chain.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts