V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone that has gone to Daytona has probably visited Destination Daytona, that is one incredible place to all of us that love Harleys, the inventory of bikes, accessories and clothing is breath taking. I was there during Biketoberfest a few weeks ago and it was impressive how people were buying everything HD faster than the staff could replenish the stock, and people were just walking in and riding out with new bikes sounds good...not really.
I got my bike from one of the Rossmeyer dealers and they gave me a great price, but during this crazy Daytona weekend that was not the case, according to someone that works for them he was send there from another dealer, he sold 6 bikes in two days, all of them 2 and 3K over MSRP, and the same is true for rest of the sales staff, he tells me people would not even argue, most were willing to pay extra in order to ride out in a new 2012 during the festivities, yes there were a few that didn't bite, but man did they sell a lot of bikes.
Now my question is, are this people nuts or was this the effect of alcohol and other related recreational chemicals, what on earth possessed this people to make this deals. :huh:

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Seems to me there are many customers who have more Money than Brains.

I noticed during Biketoberfest the 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra on the Floor that was Marked down to 39K from 42 K. Sad thing is MSRP is around 35K and the 2012 are out already.

I am a fan of the CVO bikes, I would never give more than MSRP for a current model year bike and that was last years model.

·
Swamprat Rider
757 Posts
Some get up in the craziness I guess ..

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think that all of us have paid too much for these Harleys, but it is what we want and think we need.
Ken

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think that all of us have paid too much for these Harleys, but it is what we want and think we need.
Ken
@gree:

Yep!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ya want a bike - ya got the money - what's the big deal? A couple of grand in the scheme of things, nothing -

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya want a bike - ya got the money - what's the big deal? A couple of grand in the scheme of things, nothing -
The big deal is, 40 minutes away the bike is 3 grand less, I don't care how much money you have, it is stupid to get caught in the moment and throw good money away.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think that sometimes people get caught up in the moment and don't really pay attention to what they are doing and end up spending a lot more money than they intended to. I'd rather save that 2 or 3 grand and put into goodies for the new ride.

·
FNG
1,132 Posts
Ignorance. I didn't know how much bike I could've gotten or built for my money. Frankly, I was blinded by the mistaken notion that a scoot was the ticket to a world I've always respected and admired, and consequently am a bit of an emotional twat; reason went out the window. The only solace I find in this is that I’ve acknowledged it and know I’m not the only twat who thought/thinks the same way.
James

·
Super Moderator
20,905 Posts
It's the rich posers. They buy some leather and head to a scooter gathering in search of babes, the life, and more babes. They see some guys ride by with babes in back and think that all they need is a big scooter and they can have the babe too. Next thing they know, they're bent over in front of the local dealers sales desk. Closest they ever come to the babes is when they explain to the wife how much she will enjoy riding second seat. The wifey wanting no parts of that, but wanting to get even, buys another scooter of her own. 5 years later they are both for sale with less than 3K on the meter.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Buying is an emotional process and if you get a guy in that proper state you can pretty much sell him anything he desires at the price you desire.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Buying is an emotional process and if you get a guy in that proper state you can pretty much sell him anything he desires at the price you desire.
Maybe for most.

I have never been so excited about a car, truck, motorcycle or boat that I paid more than I planned on when I walked in the door.

I have never bought any of the above spur of the moment. I usually do lots of research on Invoice of the item, and in cars you need to know hold back and other incentives.

I have paid at or less than 500 above invoice for any car or truck I have ever bought.

My first new HD was in 2002, and I did pay MSRP, and freight.

I have bought the rest for less than MSRP.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ken
Asolutely the best comment and FACT. So op,what possessed you to over-pay for your Harley,and Harley parts,and Harley jacket,and Harley fingerless gloves.
To answer your question daytona for example people get overwhelmed and the heat of the moment takes over and you don't care what it costs. Sign here please,then start er up and go riding with the crew. I would have thought that was obvious.

·
Registered
233 Posts
For most people, a motorcycle is a luxury item. How many of you don't have a car for inclement weather transportation?

So, if you own a motorcycle, you likely "overpaid" for a luxury item for a service that could be handled better by a car or truck.

You want to see people who simply refuse to overpay for their transportation needs? Go check out the two-wheeled traffic in Beijing.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Probably linked to the old rule of retail (location, location, location), and timing of release of new models.

Two years ago I decided it was time for a new bike. In August of 09 the 2010 models had just released. I was hearing about all these great deals on left over 2009 models, only problem was here in the Northwest the best deal I could find after calling the four states around me was about $600 less than MSRP on a 2010. End result I spent MSRP on my bike because in this area there were not any of the dealers others seem to find that were willing to deal. Bottom line did I get a great deal? No I paid retail for something I wanted, plus I have spent more making it the way I want it. As to the posers buying bikes, who cares what posers do? I am driving a nearly 20 year old pickup with 190K on it so I can have two newer bikes to ride.

Those that bought in Daytona got what they wanted, a new 2012 model at time of release. Did they do their homework, obviously not if you found a dealer close that had better deals. At the end of the day, who got hurt? Some rube spent more than he should have to get what he wanted.

I have since found some dealers willing to negotiate on price, and am not limiting my search to adjoining states. In the event I get another new bike I am guessing I will follow a different plan than I originally went. For now I will continue to rack up the miles on the two that I have, don't want some "real biker" to snatch them up later with no miles on them. :redrolf:

·
Registered
63 Posts
For most of us, it’s an attempt to belong. Belong to the culture and traditions. There are ten to fifteen guys I ride with. Most of them change bikes every three or four years. They will spend 34K, 36K, and 38K at the drop of a dime without any negotiation of price (I know, I accompanied them on several occasions). The sad part is that most of them put only 1,500 miles a season. I have a 2008 with 36K. For the most part, we meet at the Starbucks in the morning, ride maybe 50 miles and right away they want to stop for lunch and then ride home. I think it’s that one day a week when they get to dress up in leather, the rumble and the sound of the engines that makes them feel that they belong to or part of the biker culture. It’s definitely is an emotional thing for most of us.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts