V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a set of pipes on a 03 Fatboy but don’t know what ones to go with. I am putting a SE-204 cam, Bigger Carb, and a SE- Air Cleaner Kit on it. I am looking at the Vance/Hines straightshots or Big shot staggereds, Python 3s, or Samson ground pounders. What one would work best with this set up for me? And what do you guys think about the Vance/Hines Big shot staggereds, If you would ask me what pipe to put on a motocross bike 2 stroke or 4 I could tell you the answer but the Harleys I don’t know.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
With a carb bike, a softail in particular, you have much more flexibility. Just about any decent system will work as long as you don't lose the crossover.
Some of the V&H systems are supposed to have a hidden crossover and if the dyno tests in some magazines are legit they should work.

The Thunderheader has always been my favourite pipe for carb engines, but they are pretty loud.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have Python Quick Strikes on my 03 Deuce (same as Vance/Hines Big shot staggereds). I have also seen them on a Fat Boy. In my opinion they look and sound great! I couldn't tell ya how they affect performance though. My bike is close to stock and never been on a dyno so...

·
Seasoned Rider
108 Posts
Does anyone have a pic of their bike with Vance/Hines Bigshot staggerds on? Especially on a Fat Boy or Heritage ST? I'm leaning towards these on my FLSTFI.
Thanks in advance,
Lubey

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the Python Quick Strike which is actually made by Vance and Hines for Drag Specialties. It is a 2 1/4 system. Here is a pic. I hope it helps. I was thinking about changing to the V/H Big Shots just because I like the 2 1/2 look to them plus they are a little shorter. I thought about the Thunderheader but I have not heard one yet and the only one I saw the pipes had changed color from the heat. I don't like that.

·
Seasoned Rider
108 Posts
Thanks 02FatBoy. I like your ride...the seat gives it very clean lines. Pipes look good too. I'm still undecided....but heard the Thunderheaders yesterday....and they are really loud. Maybe too loud for me as I have to deal with jet noise every day.
Lubey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts