V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '02 FLSTC which is EFI. The bike has a Stage II Big Bore kit with the SE-203 cams. The OEM exhaust configuration had a small hidden crossover pipe. When the bike was taken in for the Big Bore upgrage the service manager suggested going with SE II slip-ons to retain the crossover pipe for optimum performance.

The dealer intalled the new SE II slip-ons stock number 80339-00A. After inspecting the exhaust installation I realized there is NO ctossover pipe on this assembly and yes the head pipes were changed also. I ponted this out to the service manager and he couldn't beleive it until he looked for himself, (even the dealership owner swore there was a crossover pipe). I realize that this was an honest oversight on the service manager's part.

With no crossover pipe to be concerned with I'm looking for other exhaust options. I want a better sounding pipe with more throaty rumble with the best blend of sound and performance. I'm not interested in drag pipes or running without the baffles all the time.

I 've talked with a lot of people in an attempt to decide on the best exhaust set-up. Most people suggest the V & H staggered duals. Any thoughts. I love the sound and look of the thunderheaders, but I've been told that on EFI bike when you roll off the throttle the pipe spits, crackles, and backfires.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Jerry

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
If you like the 2:1 look there is no better pipe in my opinion than the Vance and Hines Pro Pipe HS. Built-in heat shields and nice throaty sound...rated pretty good for prformance too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
fulldraw,

I have a 2000 FLSTC (carb) light mods., but basicly stock motor, and running a Thunderheader. It is jetted properly, and has been dyno tuned for fuel ratio. #195 main jet & #50 pilot. Perfect plug burn!

I have not experienced any backfiring on throttle roll off, it is nice and smooth in each direction, and has a stoutly huge throaty sound,...it means business!

I had the V&H traditional staggered duals, then tried the Hooker straightshots, now the Thunderheader.

IMO...I thought the V&H sounded very hollow sounding, the Hookers were nice & smooth, but a little too mellow for my tastes. I did like the smooth transition bends of the Hookers over the V&H.

The V&H has great chrome as does the Hookers, and both were easy installs, but..............I had a bitch of a time when replacing a baffle cartridge in the Hookers, so much, it got destroyed while trying to take it out of one pipe. The fit was simply too tight. I got pissed to the point that I gave up on the entire system and traded it for some HD components.

It was that point when I decided to go for the 2/1 performance and boy did I like my next choice. The install was a snap, the product is great and I have no issues with it whatsoever. The sound is incredibly awesome.

Anyway, this is my story..........perhaps if you attend a rally somewhere you will be able to see hear, and talk to others about their exhaust systems, I'm sure you will learn a whole lot more doing it this way rather than taking our humble advice. It is a personal kind of thing, whether it's strictly performance or sound, or a combination of all catagories, there is a solution to meet your exhaust objectives.

Talk to as many people as you can, and you will learn a lot of rhymes and reasoning for their decisions.

I hope this helps just a bit.

Good luck, post a pic. of your ride when you get a chance.

Jimmy T

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a 2002 FLSTSI stock with EFI and am running Vance Hines Long Shots with no problems. Sounds great and a better performance than the stock pipes. The stock pipes had a crossover, but the VH don't. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts