V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, hope you can help. my 'boy was built in november 1991 as a 1992 model, the turquoise and ivory one. i have a little trouble ordering parts and getting aftermarket oil information because of year differences, and would appreciate any help in identifying the changes from '91 - 92. thanx in advance, johnny
p.s. bought it new in crate, so have its full history should i not have given enough info

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
johnny, you've got an obsolete bike that no one knows anything about. join the rubs and BUY A NEW ONE ( my opinion fwiw )

·
Registered
260 Posts
I understand your troubles. Try owning an '84 big twin. It seems to be the first and last year of everything. It came from the factory with Shovel AND Evolution era parts & design.

Good Luck

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Well John, I do not think there is a whole lot of difference between a "91 and a "92 Fatboy. The big change came in "93 when they changed the cases and heads and made them the head breathers they are today.
Use any good 20-50 oil or even 60w if its stays hot where you are.
To get parts try online at Drag or Custom Chrome or this sight sponser Direct Parts. Almost all parts are made after market now and the H-D shops have to order most others if you want them.
Buy a service manual and the parts book.
Good luck.
And you do not need a new RUB bike, that old EVO is a good machine.
Ka-Ka good luck, not even Harley can tell you what's on your bike. Only you know from working on it. A real mix of parts you got there.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Sometime between 91-and 93 I want to say all softail were fitted with international gears to get rid of vibes (RUBS compalining), and only used that gearing for one year.
A lot of it is just small technicalities that can easily be figured out.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
see this is some of the problem. i uncrated the bike new january 8 1992 and it has the breather heads but the pipe from the crankcase to the air box, makes ordering gasket sets a joke. i need to have the parts in my hand otherwise i'm called stupid for not knowing what i ride or i am given the parts that the counter monkey says are right. kinda makes it hard to get parts in that i will need before i need them (if that makes any sense)
but hey, just try to wipe that $h!t eating grin offa my face when all is well ...

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I actually run into that sometime with my 95 Softail. 96 there were alot of changes, so sometimes I come across 95 1/2 parts. Mostly electrical.

·
Registered
487 Posts
john you have a late 92 no problem have put breather heads on early motors & if you have breather rockerboxes you can also vent out the top

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmmm, i may have been a little ambiguous on the heads. the rockers are the breather type while the heads breath internally down to the crankcase breather. this arrangement lasted for a short time before the venting was donevia chrome pipes at the top of the heads either side of the air cleaner
btw, this may explain why so many HD owners are folicly challanged, they have torn it out at the stealership's parts counter ...

·
Banned
871 Posts
bonnie john said:
hi all, hope you can help. my 'boy was built in november 1991 as a 1992 model, the turquoise and ivory one. i have a little trouble ordering parts and getting aftermarket oil information because of year differences, and would appreciate any help in identifying the changes from '91 - 92. thanx in advance, johnny
p.s. bought it new in crate, so have its full history should i not have given enough info
What part numbers does the factory parts manual say it uses? A year/model specific book should have the correct numbers in it.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Buddy has run into this with his 1984 1/2 Evo. He's been told it doesn't exist and parts from a shovel and parts from an evo are mixed. It's a four speed tranny as well (FXST). He cannot ever order anything without getting a parts mix!

And I thought it sucked when I sold my twin cam and kept my 1998 Dyna. I tried to get some simple EVO gaskets a year after the twinkie came out.

Obsolete....Obsolete ....Obsolete.... more and more factory parts!

·
Banned
871 Posts
rickr01 said:
Buddy has run into this with his 1984 1/2 Evo. He's been told it doesn't exist and parts from a shovel and parts from an evo are mixed. It's a four speed tranny as well (FXST). He cannot ever order anything without getting a parts mix!

And I thought it sucked when I sold my twin cam and kept my 1998 Dyna. I tried to get some simple EVO gaskets a year after the twinkie came out.

Obsolete....Obsolete ....Obsolete.... more and more factory parts!
You are having trouble getting EVO gaskets? Sounds like you have a lame dealership. Our local stealer carries a lot of EVO parts, but I'd still rather buy aftermarket. There are several companies who carry gaskets. I have not yet run into anything I couldn't find for my Dyna... I just use the stealership as a last resort since they usually jack the price up quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i try to buy from a local guy who supplies aftermarket ie james gaskets etc, might have to bite the bullet and go genny grrrrrrr

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
John,
From a gasket stand point, you need to watch the cam cover gasket and the head gasket set if you do have the breather heads. What a combo.
I have a "93 so mine is a true head breather, first year.
James sells all the correct gaskets for your bike and cometics sells the base and head gaskets.
Order a parts book, I am sure it will help with pic and parts.

Good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
John, I still have my early 92 fatboy and don't have any problem ordering anything, it's just that a lot of indy's don't like to carry a wider assortment of older gaskets. 91's and 92's were set up for head breathers but in most cases are blocked off for use with the case breathers, there's no reason to have both and this will stop any chance an oil misting problem. There were no internal gear changes between 92 and 93 only a rear sprocket change which changed again in 94. I don't know about you or anybody else, but I love my early evo, ya, some of the later changes are great improvements, but their not improvements that make that much difference to me. Hang in there John, no reason to jump ship yet.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
me....late 91...set up right...just about maint. free now...and climbs trees...use only the latest aftermarket gaskets and such......why put garbage back on?...trok the bases....always

1 - 18 of 18 Posts