V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious.. I have a 94 FXLR. What is it that makes it a low rider? Forks and shocks? Seat?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Low riding position. The LowRider had the lowest seat height the years it was included in the lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
974 Posts
Low riding position. The LowRider had the lowest seat height the years it was included in the lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not quite true, oddly the Super Glide had a lower seat height than the Low Riders, just because of thinner seat padding.

Just curious.. I have a 94 FXLR. What is it that makes it a low rider? Forks and shocks? Seat?
I think they just carried the name over from the 70"s Low Riders. Early FXR's had lots of names - SuperGlide II, Low Glide, Disc Glide, before settling on Low Rider. Low Riders came with both regular and tall suspension, depending on model.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how could I tell if mine has the low suspension? I'm guessing I could measure my shock length.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know its a low rider by the vin. I was wondering if there were differences in fork legs or shocks.

·
Registered
974 Posts
In the mid 80"s HD offered a "performance package" which added a second front brake rotor & caliper along with +2'' forks and +1'' shocks. In '87 they came out with a dedicated model, the Low Rider Sport (FXRS-SP) and in '89 the Convertible (FXRS-Conv), which had these upgrades. The touring and police FXR's also had the taller suspension, but early FXRT's only had a single front brake.

The tall rear shocks were 13'' on pre '87's and 13.5'' from '87 onward. I can't remember the fork lengths exactly, 23.5'' and 25.5'' maybe.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
My decodes to FXRS. Does that count? :)

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Yes... mine does too... except the FXRP... it decodes to "man gonna be a long build process"!!!

In the mid 80"s HD offered a "performance package" which added a second front brake rotor & caliper along with +2'' forks and +1'' shocks. In '87 they came out with a dedicated model, the Low Rider Sport (FXRS-SP) and in '89 the Convertible (FXRS-Conv), which had these upgrades. The touring and police FXR's also had the taller suspension, but early FXRT's only had a single front brake.

The tall rear shocks were 13'' moron pre '87's and 13.5'' from '87 onward. I can't remember the fork lengths exactly, 23.5'' and 25.5'' maybe.
Folks always forgetting about the originals.. '82 and '83
Makes it harder to Generalize...

·
Registered
2,844 Posts

The tall rear shocks were 13'' moron pre '87's and 13.5'' from '87 onward. I can't remember the fork lengths exactly, 23.5'' and 25.5'' maybe.
Right, '82 and '83's were stock with the taller suspension, in '84 they lowered them.
And Dual Disks!!!

·
Super Moderator
19,568 Posts
Low rider was just a badging for FXR's. Some were low(ish), some were not.

Lowest FXR that the MoCo ever built was the 2000 -4

It should be noted that being lowered actually limited the FXR's ability to corner. Because the FXR ans FLT shared powertrain, the FXR is as wide as a bagger.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Low rider was just a badging for FXR's. Some were low(ish), some were not.

Lowest FXR that the MoCo ever built was the 2000 -4

It should be noted that being lowered actually limited the FXR's ability to corner. Because the FXR ans FLT shared powertrain, the FXR is as wide as a bagger.
Well that is a broad brush... Having owned Both ...at the same time, I must say that while the Basic Motor/tranny were the same... the frame and certainly the accessories were Miles different, and decidedly more cumbersome on the bagger.
Certainly lowering reduces cornering to a huge degree... the MoCo did it themselves almost immediately ['84 I believe] Made all of the effort that went into designing stuff like those pipes that are tucked in so very nicely...almost a Waste..
Easy enough [thankfully] to pick 'em back up tho!!!

·
Super Moderator
19,568 Posts
Well that is a broad brush... Having owned Both ...at the same time, I must say that while the Basic Motor/tranny were the same... the frame and certainly the accessories were Miles different, and decidedly more cumbersome on the bagger.
Certainly lowering reduces cornering to a huge degree... the MoCo did it themselves almost immediately ['84 I believe] Made all of the effort that went into designing stuff like those pipes that are tucked in so very nicely...almost a Waste..
Easy enough [thankfully] to pick 'em back up tho!!!
Yes it is a broad brush, but its how the MoCo worked back then. Build a new frame and use parts off the shelf to make it a motorcycle. Powertrain from the FLT and front end from the Sportster. The Frame shared parts from the FLT also. Where the rear isolators mounts bolt on, the frames are identical. They use the same pivot shaft. And measure the same for width at that point, which is the widest point on the lower frame. The two non tubular parts that carry the isolator brackets are the same stampings, FLT to FXR.

Trans and primary are the same width year to year on FXR's and FLT's. The FXR was just the tightest frame they could package the FLT powertrain into. And when you find drag marks on old FXRs its always the under side of the primary that show the most wear. Just like FLT's.

The MoCo knew the FXR needed longer legs, but it looked funky with the rear raised up. So most of the tall scooters had bags on the back. And the Harley buying public wanted scooters with a low look about them, cornering be damned. Some things never change.

And we need to remember, the FXR was a cruiser not a performance scooter. The scooter for going out and running twisties back then was still the Sportster. Even though it was all appearances by that time.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Harley plays fast and loose with naming conventions so the way to find differences is compare parts books and/or use online resources like Ronnie's and Surdyke.
It should be noted that being lowered actually limited the FXR's ability to corner.
More like "ruined" IMO and that's the first defect I fixed when I bought my '94 FXLR. Fortunately it's easy to cure the low LR front end and add travel along with height.

I replaced my '94 FXLR fork with a 39mm dual disc FXR length fork from a swap meet since I require dual discs, but a tube, spring and damper tube swap is easy while preserving the original FXLR chromed fork and 21" wheel. (I swapped in mags and a 19" front.) My '88 FXR is getting an RT front end but I'm reassembling that with Trackerdie extended damper tubes. They're well made and ~1-1/4" longer than the RT dampers I removed which will go into another bike.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts