V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I worked at a steelership for a couple of years then decided to open up my own shop. I am only 24 years old. I feel like I know the needs of the motorcyle community pretty well, but the more suggestions i get the better. What is more important price or getting your bike back fast?
Do I need to have every thing is stock? Or do you mind special orders?
Please let me know what you think.
John
Delta Bike Works

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
What's important is getting the job done right. And if it isn't, being honorable and fixing it. The shop I used to go to before I moved would customers sit back with him in his shop and watch all the maintenance going on.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
deltabikeworks1 said:

John
Delta Bike Works
Hey John,

a couple of points:

Make sure you clients understand what your talking about. After you explain something, ask if they have any questions.

Tell it like it is. If its f*cked up, say so. If you can fix it, say so. If they'd be better off else where, say so.

I personally would not mind waiting if a part had to be ordered. As your business grows, so will your ability to afford to stock HD parts.

DON'T EVER BAD MOUTH YOUR COMPETITION. Don't be embarassed to toot your own horn.

Set your shop rate 10% below the stealerships. If your good, you'll have more work than you can handle.

Good luck.

Regards,

wyo

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Doing it right is the way to go. What level of stuff will you do? There are very few places around where I live that realy know "how to" do preformance work well. Personaly I think preformance is where some good money is, but offering all levels of work is good to. If you have no work get it done right away, if work picks up set appontments and then keep them. Folks like to know when the work will be done. Now-n-days getting parts is usaly no more than a few days deal. Good Luck!

·
Registered
426 Posts
a couple of points:

Make sure you clients understand what your talking about. After you explain something, ask if they have any questions.

Tell it like it is. If its f*cked up, say so. If you can fix it, say so. If they'd be better off else where, say so.

I personally would not mind waiting if a part had to be ordered. As your business grows, so will your ability to afford to stock HD parts.

DON'T EVER BAD MOUTH YOUR COMPETITION. Don't be embarassed to toot your own horn.

DITTO!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a shop in the 70's, do your customers right, keep parts in stock that customers don't want to wait on and order the more pricey parts, and make a profit off every one, my dad once told me " you have to charge your friends because your enemies won't shop with you"...

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You need to study the local market, specialize in things that are in short supply, the best customers of all are the dealers and the other shops, because they come almost every day.

With individual customers even more important then them understanding you is to listen and you understanding them. If you think they have the wrong thing in mind just plain tell them. Some guys like the clubbers know exactly what they want, some others you need to babysit until they learn.

If you are new and have no name recognition the dealers can turn you on to a lot of work, there is a lot of stuff they don't like to do.

The very high end performance projects may have enormous price tags, but you make little money with them. They are good for building a rep tough.The modest performace projects pay the rent because they don't eat up that much time and work every time.

When you take a bike in adopt it, fix whatever is wrong with it even if it came in for something else or at least make sure you tell them if they want to fix it themselves and tell them before you do it if you are going to charge them for it.

Do not hesitate on refusing to work on something if you get the wrong gut feeling, there are a few guys that are more trouble then they are worth.

It takes a couple of years to start to build a name, it doesn't happen overnite.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Where is your shop? Hard to get up business if nobody knows where you are!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
shops

If the cost is the same I would go to a dealer every time, for major work. I would just feel safer, but I would go to an independant for maintance stuff, if resonable and fast. When I was out in Sturgis I took my bike to a jiffy lube type place for oil and filter ,they did it in 10 mins and I think it cost $35 . I usually change my own fluids and make adjustments, but the older I get the less I feel like doing it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all of your replies.
My shop is in Stockton CA. I have a pretty good name for my self from working at the steelership. Any more suggestions will be apreciated.
What are some of you favorite events for the winter time????

·
Registered
688 Posts
Outdoors: Cross country skiing and Snowshoeing, but gotta have some cheese, crackers and wine to revitalize the spirit!!

Indoors: Coed naked darts!!:D :D and tequila!!:D

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Whore House in the back.

·
Registered
312 Posts
LOL

No Oil engine contest.

They do it at VW shows alot. It fun until someones engine runs a few hours.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I second that rickpoco. Correction: EASY supermodels. OK how about JC Penney models, OK, trailer trash wenchs will do. Hey it's your call, Free Pizza and an open bar would be nice!!:D

·
Registered
86 Posts
how about a free oil change.. new drawing each mo. you won't be out much ( good p.r.) to win just fill out your 1) NAME 2) address
3) phone # 4) year and type bike you ride... you now have a mailing list and also a idea on the type bikes you are needing to keep parts for...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts