V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the battery fail in my '89 FLT today. It's only a year old so I'm kind of surprised. I've only had the bike 2 years and the one that the previous owner had in it failed about a year ago too. I replaced it with an HD model thinking it would hold up better but not so it seems. The disturbing part is that there is no warning. I start the bike and ride some where and when I come back out it gives a little crackel and the whole system is dead. It'd be cool if I got a day or 2 of slow cranking as a warning.

I'm replacing this on with an HD because it's convienient but I've been running an odyssey in my BMW for 3 years with no problems. I was wondering if anybody had been using and odyssey in their HD and what their experience has been.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
What kind of battery from HD are you talking about? Do you have a part number? HD sells the newer AGM type batteries but they also have available the older "lead acid" type with the fill holes on the top.

You also need to check your charging and electrical system. A '89 model bike has got to have some problems with corrosion and poor connections, especially the grounds. All that stuff will affect battery and longevity.

IMO, there is no better battery at this moment than the AGM type batteries either from HD or some of the other outfits that sell them.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Actually I have the original battery in my 2001 Wide Glide and have had no issues. In April it will be 5 years old. If your battery is killing itself once a year, there is probably something else going on....what? I don't know.

Tony

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Same here, my bike came with the harley battery, and thats what goes back into them....I agree with ed y about the cables should really check for loose ground.....let us know if you find anything..

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
The HD AGM batteries are excellent batteries. As good as any available for a motorcycle.
Assuming yours was not a bad one from the start, I suspect there is either a drain on the battery while your bike is parked or the charging system is not working properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's the AGM battery. I should have been clear about that. When the previous battery failed I checked the ground strap and cleaned up the connections and put the new battery in and every thing worked fine. So I assumed (there's that word) that every thing was good to go. There have been no issues since, I can let the bike sit for a week or more and it will start right up. Doesn't seem like the battery lost charge at all. Nothing strange or spooky in the electrical system. So I said hmmmmmm..... must've been the battery. But if every body else is having good luck with the AGM battery I'll stick with it. Need to check the electrical system I guess. Make sure the charging system is working properly and all that. Good thing there's a long weekend coming up.
Thanks again

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have had 1 DOA with a HD AGM battery, 2 others got at least 5 years out of them. Also I use battery tenders on my 2 bikes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
FLHRIDER said:
I have had 1 DOA with a HD AGM battery, 2 others got at least 5 years out of them. Also I use battery tenders on my 2 bikes.

I put in an Interstate AGM not long ago and the instructions said not to use a battery tender as it would shorten the life of the battery. Wonder if it would be the same with the HD as the technology is the same.
davidj92

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
davidj92 said:
I put in an Interstate AGM not long ago and the instructions said not to use a battery tender as it would shorten the life of the battery. Wonder if it would be the same with the HD as the technology is the same.
davidj92
The Battery Tender Plus sold by Deltran was engineered for the AGM battery. Not sure I understand that Interstate statement although not all types of battery tenders are made for AGM batteries. I've been using a BT Plus on AGM batteries since HD started using them in 99 and have never had a problem. Ditto for lots of guys I know. There are also other good tenders out there for AGM's though.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Original lasted 8 months

The OE battery lasted about 8 months on my '03 Ultra. That wuz with 3 months of storage. The battery failed in the parking lot of the dealer that had sold me the bike so they replaced it that day. It wuz blamed on a bad ground being the sheathing of the negative cable. That wuz replaced also. No problems since (knock on wood) cuz I do a lot of long distance riding by my lonesome. I plan on replacing the battery in the spring of '06 just cuz ya never know......:Banadance

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
How much do you ride it? My 2001 has same battery, as fas as I know, bought in 2003. I ride daily 6+months out of the year. Hasn't started in over 10 days now, went deer hunting. Be interesting to see what happens.

But I have left the bike sit, for week or so in early and late part of riding season problem.

So I am going with not ridden enough, charging system or ground. Which does not help much.

What I would probably do it is buy a battery tender until you figure out the problem. Problem with this is you won't know how bad it is or if you fixed it.

I had old Yamaha, with charging problem. New battery and replaced both brushes. Just keeping a trickle on it. Charged every day or so. Finally motor blew.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
mike54 said:
I had the battery fail in my '89 FLT today. It's only a year old so I'm kind of surprised. ... The disturbing part is that there is no warning.
I use the HD AGM battery.

Like you, I've had a battery fail without warning.

Now, I just replace the damn thing every two years.

$90 bucks seem like cheap insurance.

No doubt others will have differing opinions.

To each, his own,

regards,

wyo

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I agree $90 is cheap insurance, but how much insurance do you need? Modern batteries/chargers go for awhile. Its not like when I was a kid and it seemed like every 2-3 years needed a battery.

If I was going to replace a battery to be safe, it would be more like 4-5 years.

I've got 6 on my truck, starting to think about that. Might replace to be safe. 4 on bike, maybe next year consider replacing.

If I had a bike/truck that was eating them then I would replace more often.

Either way I wouldn't replace a batter in fall and let it sit all winter, unless your in CA.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Started bike today, 20 days since last time. Last time was only for minute. Bike was in garage though. Novemeber has sucked for riding, out of town working and then deer season. Now theres to much snow to get to gas station to fill it up. If my drive way wasn't on a hill would go. Now I got fill can. Hate doing that. Mess waiting to happen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts