V-Twin Forum banner

What is your anti-theft device ?

16K views 84 replies 61 participants last post by  Brand'd 
#1 ·
How do you protect your bike from theft ? I worry about rounders who actually pick up the bike in a pick up and are gone. Do you use a chain , fork lock or disk lock? What are the most effective strategies in your experience ? What are ineffective? Do you use different strategies based on location?

#2 ·
I have the factory security system and I recently ordered the siren kit and pager sytem. I'm going to use chain and padlock for sure, and maybe the rotor lock. If someone is really intent on taking it, they'll get it one way or the other.

Outside of that, I'm never so far away that I couldn't nail the thief with my S&W .357.

#8 ·
HD Security system with Siren
Disk Lock
Steering Lock
Glock 17 or 26 Rat-be-gone with Speer Gold Dot

When at a hotel, I go for a first floor room and park my bike within view. Everything removable comes off of the bike and I usually cover it to minimize temptation. This keeps the casual snatcher away. Serious folks will always get it if they want it.....but I might get them first. :)

#9 ·
I like all the recommendations for locks, alarms, chains, parking in a visible and well lighted location. My only addition is while travelling, Mr. Browning's 1911 is my insurance and while at home, his 1918 B.A.R. guards the roost.... Get Some!

#11 ·
You guys who recommend disk locks, are they a lot better than just hanging a good padlock through the disk? Do you use 'em both front and rear? When you use a cable or chain, do you just find the handiest place on the frame to loop through or is there a "best" way? The rest of it, Mr. Sig or Mr. Glock, I can handle. ;) Thanks.

#17 ·
Theft Prevention

:D :D :D :D :D

All the suggestions sound good.

I just finished a four day run with a buddy of mine and we stayed in motels each night.

We parked the bikes in front of one of the rooms. I have the factory alarm system with siren, a lock for the rear disc, and the fork and ignition were locked. My buddy rides a Gold Wing, and I have a Master Street Links covered chain and lock system that's great. I chained my Wide Glide to his Gold Wing each night, through the frame of my bike and front fork assembly on his GW. We figured someone would have to go through an awful lot of trouble to pick up that combination and try to move it! We then covered both bikes (mine with a non-Harley cover) and decided we could relax and not worry about them.

Slept soundly each night, no alarm going off, no one messing with anything, etc.

As several people said, if a "pro" is after it they're probably going to figure out a way to snag it, but all you can do is secure it as best you can and keep those insurance payments current.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.