V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a proud new 2003 Harley Wide Glide owner with a small problem. I am wanting to know what is the best way to haul my bike if I want to haul it somewhere? I own a F-150 and a small trailer, I really don't want to mess with having to use the trailer. What do you recommend for hauling?

Kevin

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I too was going to say between your legs but I won't do that ;)

Why do you need to tow, might make the answer easier. The trailer is easier to load and unload but I feel the truck is easier to drive and park. It may be easier to secure the bike to the trailer than the bed of a truck because you can attach mounting points to the trailer where you might not want to attach anything to the bed of your truck. Which ever you choose get some soft ties for the handlebars and wherever you are going to attach to in the rear (swingarm, top of rear shocks, rear pegs) so as to not scratch anything. I also prefer ratchet tie downs as opposed to the pull type. And don't compress the forks too much as you can dammage the seals.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Now that you've gotten some really positive suggestions....

Why are you not driving the bike to the destination? The guys are asking that in their own way? It's a very valid question!!!!

If you MUST "trailer" the bike, you can easily transport it in the back of an F-150. You will need some "hooks" on the truck. Easy stuff. Do you have them? Oftentimes, trucks even have places in their beds for tie downs. Do you have them?

You can get by without a "chock" but a chock would be nice. Do you have one?

Tie down from the triple tree, not the handlebars! Yes, yes. You've seen the ties on the bars. That is WRONG. It will mess you up in the long run. Use the triple tree. And use "soft ties". You don't want to scratch the chrome.

Have two persons load the bike. Be sure the forks are compressed. (Worse case. Ask the "dealer" to help you load up.) Tie down in MORE than one spot on the bike. Again, yes, yes. One spot is enough but why be "cheap" with tie downs? Be careful and check the bike often while you are driving.

Oh, "unloading" can be more dangerous than loading the bike. Use at least two people. Yeah, yeah. Mr. Macho tells you he does it by himself all the time. Good for him. Eventually, he'll tell you about the damage to his bike because another person wasn't around to help!!!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
kevin

if ya look around on line, there are several ramps made so you can ride up unto the bed of the truck. someone told me if your gonna unload by yourself, load in backwards...makes it easier to get off with one person.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
What bed length does the F-150 have?....you don't want the wheel resting on the tailgate. If you have a long enough bed and are going the ramp route, just remember you'll want wide ramps because finding out halfway up that you want to pause and put your feet down gets very exciting if you are using narrow ramps.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Re: kevin

mancini said:
...makes it easier to get off with one person.
:D

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Don't want to put the front tire against the front bedwall either. Put a piece of wood between the two. I bent up the bed on a F-350 that way. Bent the tailgate,too. Swagged the floor where wheel was. All with a Road King.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
If you really have to trailer, them put a block of wood under the frame so you don't max out yer forks. Then you will squeeze down to the block and save yer fork seals.

·
Registered
351 Posts
KevinB........... As an AMS or an AMH you should be able to figure out something ...... I haul my Road King and Sportster around in the back of my GMC 8Ft bed with no problem... Of course I have a winch in my bed to help secure the loading/unloading process and my wife helps me. I use 3 ramps but you could get by with 1 real ramp and 2 2x8 boards of the same length as the ramps... I set on the bike and put my feet down on the outer ramps (boards) as support and actually ride the bike up and down the ramps!..... Actually the winch is doing all the heavy work and I'm just there to balance things.. After loading, tie it down with at least 4 points and wedge the back wheel.. Compress the fork about 1/2 to 3/4 ... bike should be held upright while straping it down (not on the stand)..... Also if traveling with an overnight somewhere, cover and lock the bike.. Hope this helps.......... Now are you a metalsmith or a bubble chaser? I was once a so called metalsmith ....

·
Registered
31 Posts
YellowFatboy200 --- Hey..that's a good tip that I hadn't thought of! I've had fork seals blow on a Honda that I used to have when it was being ratcheted down on a trailer. Thanks for that one.

yellowFatboy200
IronButt

If you really have to trailer, them put a block of wood under the frame so you don't max out yer forks. Then you will squeeze down to the block and save yer fork seals.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
HHinNC said:
YellowFatboy200 --- Hey..that's a good tip that I hadn't thought of! I've had fork seals blow on a Honda that I used to have when it was being ratcheted down on a trailer. Thanks for that one.
Yer welcome. I have not had it happen to me but my bud was not a happy camper when he got to FL from ct and found a puddle under his front tire. Even if you don't bust out, it can't be a good thing to have all that pressure on yer front end. I have seen guys add a plate to their rides to bolt the bike down to a block and that looks like a good thing to. But I'm not going to take off my pipe brackets or weld a plate to my ride just to trailor it. I ride were ever I go and let 1 of my buds drag my trailor with all my extra junk (grill, tent, bong, beer). O, by the way. A pop-up camper makes a great bike trailer. Find a junk pop-up and rip off everthing but ther floor, done.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We used something like this for are Motocross bikes to Stop overloading the front forks and blowing the fork seals when strapping down the front suspension on a trailer, etc. I don’t know if they make them for street bike but they are easy to make.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
I find it odd that 6 days has gone by and he has yet to respond again :confused: Ain't no way I won't answer question if asked of me. I'm not bagging on the new guy but come on dude, please respond back.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts