V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
EFI? if so what year? You are limited more.

Carbureted? I'd say a Thunderheader 2:1.

(BMP's) Never heard of those...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2003 -EFI, Electra G. Standard. Are the pipes mentioned slip ons or complete pipes? Is it true that if you dont use Screaming Eagle/HD after market parts..that HD will void your warranty if something goes wrong with the bike? If the dealership puts the pipes on, then they should honor the warranty!

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
DOGMANN,

There are so many rumors/myths about "voiding the warranty" that its hard to dicern the truth.

As I understand it, use of aftermarket items can only void your warranty if their use contributes substantially to the problem. For example, if you use V&H pipes and your starter goes out, it would be hard to see how the pipes contributed to the starter's failure.

A more important issue with EFI bikes is that the Stage I reflash of the ECM is developed for use with specific SE parts. Deviations from these specified parts can lead to unwanted issues like popping on deceleration.

These unwanted issues can often be corrected using a Power Commander or the new SE race tuner.

wyo

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is V&H the only choice in a loud pipe? I've read that the SE slip ons are not worth the money, and sampsons just arn't loud enough, sorry about all the questions- but compared to the other HD Bikes- the tour family seems limited in the pipe dept.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
DOGMANN said:
Is V&H the only choice in a loud pipe? I've read that the SE slip ons are not worth the money, and sampsons just arn't loud enough, sorry about all the questions- but compared to the other HD Bikes- the tour family seems limited in the pipe dept.
Don't apologize about asking questions, thats what these forums are for.

The pipes issue really comes down to personal choice. I have the SE touring mufflers (65115-98B kit muffler 95+ flt). To me, they're just right, a mellow rumble at idle and low speed and they'll roar if I get on it.
YMMV.

wyo

·
Registered
67 Posts
I researched this at length and listened to dozens of Road Kings with a variety of pipes. About a year ago Hot Rpod Bikes mag did exhaustive tests on Dresser EfI muffs. They liked Samson Rolled Thunder and a DS oval muff set on page 165 of the DS catalog for loud sound and performance. By far the best performing and best sounding pipes I have heard are the new Thunderheader slip ons using the "true" duals built by Sampson. This comes to about $1000, but if sound is important!!!

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Turn-out slip-ons will sound louder to the rider because the noise is not all behind you. I put Sampson turn-outs on my FLHTCI which I think are louder. My neighbor says they're too loud...

·
Registered
81 Posts
My .02 worth.... If you want LOUD, and seeing as you are EFI.... Sampson R/T's, Porkers, Wild Pigs or Thundercones with a True Dual set-up... Granted, you might have to get a PCIIIr, to compensate for the lack of back-pressure, seeing as there is virtually none, but that is prolly the loudest I have ever heard...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dogman,
I have a 2002 RKC with EFI. Did the Stage I thing and put on Sampson fishtail drag slip-ons. I also installed torque cones at the headers and installed small non-resrictive baffles which are avaiable for this pipe. The cost was about $300 for the parts and the sound is awsome but not obnoxious. This is what a Harley is supposed to sound like(imho). Also, with this set up, there is no loss of low and midrange power and the bike runs great without any popping. There is no comparison between this and the V+H basic slip-ons that I had on initially.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I installed H-D's one piece SE slip-ons on my '02 FLHTCI and was pleasantly surprised at the tone (look through them and see daylight out the other end). I had tried SE mufflers on past bikes & was not happy-little louder than stock, but was told about these-I believe from this web-sight & gave them a try. There also cheaper than V&H or Samsons.
Hard to advise someone on what they would like, I suggest hanging around bikes for one that you like the sound and see what they are.
These slip-ons, Arlen Ness Big-Sucker & PCIIIr, what a difference they made!

Semper Fi

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have the Hooker tuned flow slip-ons, on my ' 02 RKC with the stage 1 flash and big sucker a/c and I think they sound great, they are louder than the SE pipes for sure. I also have a ' 03 Ultra and I have the SE Performance mufflers # 65115-98B with the stage 1 flash and SE a/c, they sound good, but they are much milder than the Hookers.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've got the SE slipons on my 03RKC and they sound awesome with no popping on decel. Low rumble at idle and roar at roll-on. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Dog what ya need to do is consider all the responses. ALL diffrent. And that is what counts. It is personal. The sound of your bike is like the moan of your woman. It's personal.

Get out to the places where bikes gather. Listen for "YOUR" sound and then go ask that guy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Loud Pipes

The amount of loud is up to you. Thunderheader pipes have been measured with db meters to be amoung the loudest on the planet. Here is the best part, some loud pipes will actually decrease performance because there are some strange thing going on inside the pipe that cause exhaust gasses to to back up more than desireable others do not create enough. According to a study done on Discovery channel, using a db meter and a dyno, several pipes were tested on the same bike. Thunderheader was rated loudest and best performance. Whatever pipe you choose you probably need to rejet/reflash to account for the change air flow through the engine. Some other comment here mention car alarms, they aint :cool: lyin. You may also wish to consider ear plugs! My 2000 Deuce with Thunderheader will actually make me nausious its so freakin :eek: loud. We get a lot of bike traffic passing by my office and my boss says my bike is definitely the loudest and thanks me for being light on the throttle in his neighborhood.
2BRNR

1 - 20 of 48 Posts