V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
blipper
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few days I had trouble coming up with a title for this thread; probably because I haven't been this shocked about AC/DC since Bon Scott died. Forty years is a long time to play R&R, especially as hard as these guys play. I hope it's not the end of the Highway To Hell.

News is continously flowing about Phil Rudd's legal troubles. However, the murder-for-hire charges have been lessened, and perhaps dropped altogether. He still faces some serious allegations regarding drug possession, and this could all but eliminate his presence during the band's 40th Anniversary Tour. He's been replaced before, and I thought Chris Slade did a fantastic job when I saw them during the For Those About to Rock tour stop in Dallas February 1982.

theGuardian.com

Then, there's Malcolm Young's retirement from performing due to an undisclosed debilitating illness. A family member (Malcolm's nephew), Stevie Young has already been supplanted into the band playing on the new Rock or Bust, and will perform during the upcoming World tour. Rumors circulate about what his affliction may be, other than dementia...back in August I heard a Dallas rock station drop a hint that the rhythm guitarist and Angus' brother had suffered a stroke. Whatever it is, this leaves Angus as the only remaining founder of AC/DC.

Rolling Stone.com/music/news

I wish the very best for Malcolm, his family, and his bandmates. Ride on, Bon!

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,465 Posts
I knew nothing of all this news. I've moved away from raucous rock over the years, but I love how these guys have made a living making the same album over and over. ;)

joe

·
Registered
176 Posts
I hate to hear this too. AC/DC is one of my favorites and one of the few bands that i like damn near every song they did. You dont have to skip around tracks on an AC/DC album. Those were/are some crazy mf'ers.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
My favorite band ever, by FAR!

I guess even Brian is weary from all the touring they have done in
the past.

AC/DC is all my SG and Marshall will play...lol...:woohoo:

Will definately make sure I make a concert when/if they tour!

Stevie has stood in for Malcolm in the past, in the late 80's

·
Registered
86 Posts
AC/DC is one of my all-time favorite groups. Seen them multiple time since the early 1980's. Who knew you could do so much for so long with three chords.
That being said, there comes a time when groups need to hang it up. I think this is one of those times. With Malcolm gone, they lost at least 50% of their songwriting. In interviews, even Angus acknowledges Malcolm as being the man responsible for the hooks fans know and love. Malcolm's tone is irreplaceable; it was unique and instantly recognizable. You knew who it was and what you were going to get.
Rudd's drum work is a study in timing and effective simplicity. No fills, just straight-up rock. Unfortunately, his personal life has now thrown a monkey wrench into the works and it appears he is well on his way out.
AC/DC was strong enough and their fans dedicated enough to survive the loss of Scott. Johnson did a fantastic job taking over the vocal duties. Few bands have been able to do this successfully. As much as I like Black Sabbath, they are infinitely better with Ozzy. I like Johnson's work just as much as Scott's and I can't say the same about any other band that experienced a similar situation.
I am a big fan and will always remain one. They are champions and should go out the same.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Malcom was a big part of the writing process. Though I s suspect Angus has and will do alot. Phil has came and went before. But losing Malcom will be tough.

As for the fans Angus and Brian are the face of ac/dc.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
True. The band will play on and the fans will never notice.
Never notice may be a strong word to use. Newer fans, and those that don't pay as much attention won't. Hopefully they play a sold out tour that leaves fans wanting more, and remembering the band.

As for their future I think they will keep going as long Brian and Angus are in good health and cheer. Brian has been around long enough that he is considered AC/DC. Though I can also Angus having losing interest without Malcom. But so far they have pressed on.

Funny some Lynard Skynard fans cannot stand a brother replacing the singer, but with AC/DC, a go who sounds nothing like Bon, and who's albums changed direction from Bon, is accepted. Usually with a cadveat about how like Bon better, but accepted none the less.

·
Registered
16,123 Posts
Funny some Lynard Skynard fans cannot stand a brother replacing the singer, but with AC/DC, a go who sounds nothing like Bon, and who's albums changed direction from Bon, is accepted. Usually with a cadveat about how like Bon better, but accepted none the less.
My problem with Skynyrd isn't just vocals. They've changed their music style to contemporary "country". I just don't care for new country music.

·
blipper
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Never notice may be a strong word to use. Newer fans, and those that don't pay as much attention won't. Hopefully they play a sold out tour that leaves fans wanting more, and remembering the band.

As for their future I think they will keep going as long Brian and Angus are in good health and cheer. Brian has been around long enough that he is considered AC/DC. Though I can also Angus having losing interest without Malcom. But so far they have pressed on.

@gree: 100%.

Well, the info that I was able to suss out; ya know us Texans are not accomplished readers...but, especially agree on the last line.

·
hippie
5,106 Posts
ya, they made it thru the loss of bon, shi7 malcom will be a breeze, even when he's there he ain't really there lol,,

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Angus's older brother who has been there since the begining. Don't rule out his influence.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Bon has been gone so long that many don't even know he was there, Brian has always been "the voice" of AC/DC, and for the new fans of this album they won't even know who Malcom was. As for Angus, I read that he and Malcom would sit for hours just playing riffs, nothing real just messing around, and that many of those sessions would be recalled later sometimes years later for use on new songs, not sure how that will play out or if he has the same connection with his nephew.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I am not really sure how many new fans AC/DC has. Not sure how many people under 30 or 40 are buying the albums. So while Brian is the voice of AC/DC, I still suspect a majority know who Bon is. Not sure if rock songs really get the radio play they used to, and how many new fans are attracted.

They made a big come back with Thunderstruck album. I hated Money Talks and anyone who liked it. So many of them had no idea who AC/DC was.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
AC/DC's US Tour Dates (so far)

The concert is part of the band's "Rock or Bust" world tour which currently includes 20 dates throughout the United States. Expect a seat to be about $100.

Feb. 2 - Tacoma, WA @ Tacoma Dome
Feb. 5 - Las Vegas, NV @ MGM Grand Arena
Feb. 8 - Denver, CO @ Pepsi Center
Feb. 11 - Fargo, ND @ Fargo Dome
Feb. 14 - St. Paul, MN @ Xcel Energy Center
Feb. 17 - Chicago, IL @ United Center
Feb. 20 - St. Louis, MO @ Scottrade Center
Feb. 23 - Dallas, TX @ American Airlines Center
Feb. 26 - Houston, TX @ Toyota Center
Feb. 29 - Kansas City, MO @ Sprint Center
Mar. 8 - Atlanta, GA @ Philips Arena
Mar. 11 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL @ BB&T Center