V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 'm curious as to what this is. I'm having some starting problems maybe it's hot starting. Sometimes when I start the bike there is a loud noise from the starter.Well I don't exactly where it's coming from but it sounds bad.
I looked at the jackshaft and it was engaging properly. So I wonder if it could be the solenoid, maybe it's a weak battery although when I hook it up to the bt jr. the light goes green. the batt. is about three years old. My indy said I could drill a hole in the solenoid cover and use a screwdriver to start it. My friend has a chopper he starts that way cept it's got shiny chrome button, whoops I'm ramblin.
Can yall help please,
Shrty

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
A hot re start is most likely caused by having too much compression, ign timing, or poor fuel. Example you pull into after a hard ride, fill up and go to restart and it kicks back. With out some details on the package that you are running hard to say, if the bike is a 07 then the banging noise is normal:hmmm: well at least that is what HD says LMAO.

Starter clutch can cause the noise as well broken teeth on the clutch basket, IE ring gear that the starter engages upon. The item your buddy has is just a manual way to engage the solenoid to drive the starter.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 99flht 96" bb, w/ t26 ccams it happens wheather the bike is cold or hot, it's intermittent. There are no broken teeth on clutch basket. I have a crane adjust. ign with adv slope on 3. I wonder if I need a new starter or a battery.
Thanks for replying
shrty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts