V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just finished build and still have the OEM starter. I did install compression releases but I forget to push them or something. Regardless have been looking at starters and there are so many options. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good high torque starter for 06 electra glide beefed up to a 107"
Thanks in advance.
Brian:unsure:😇

·
Registered
198 Posts
When I purchased my new ‘08 Ultra I had it upgraded to 103 with cams and fought hard starting for many years. I read somewhere that compression release should have been part of the upgrade but I was never advised by the dealer of that requirement. A few years ago I had Fuel Moto install the compression release on each cylinder when I had my bike in to dial in the Thundermax ECM and dyno it. What a huge difference in starting capabilities! The engine fired up effortlessly on every start attempt. Jamie managed to punch in the compression leases without pulling the heads and saved me a nice chunk of change.

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
yes, they are spendy..

brian,,,, i doubt you engine needs that much starter,,, somewhere around 1.6KW.. will spin really large high compression engines.....it is all i used on about every street engine i ever built.. you can get one of those chrome 2.0kw models from terry and all balls,,, it will be around $750...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have an All Balls 1.4kw and it's cranking a 10.8:1 compression 124" itut compression releases but it took a 500cca bagger size battery to do it. Have no issues now. With releases I would think you'd need any huge power to crank.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hey guys I just finished build and still have the OEM starter. I did install compression releases but I forget to push them or something. Regardless have been looking at starters and there are so many options. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good high torque starter for 06 electra glide beefed up to a 107"
Thanks in advance.
The gold standard for starters is Tech Cycle. Their 2.0 Kw starter spins both of my 11.9 compression 124" engines effortlessly. So fast that the engine doesn't really crank. Both engines fire the instant the starter button is pressed. But enough showing off and chest pounding.

Your beefed up little 107" has relatively mild starter starter requirements. There is no reason why all of the oem stuff would not be up to the task if everything is in good condition. No need for beefier cables, batteries or anything else.

Have you looked into the pieces to adapt oem harley electronic releases to the 10mm holes that the manual releases are currently in? There are several people that sell adapters that will screw into the existing holes in your heads and accept harley electronic releases. I ran these on my high compression 106" evo for a few years. They worked very well and confused many RUBs. I used to tel the pirate dress up guys that they were direct plasma injectors. Too funny. I think the adapters can be source for less that $100 on eBay. Add the cost of harley electric releases and a little wiring. Probably cost less that a new starter that you dont need, will remove a bunch of human error and best all they will much easier to replace in this position that they would be in the oem harley position under the rocker boxes.

Here is a link to the Tech Cycle catalog. The 1.4 is probably overkill for your application.

Tech Cycle Catalog

Reactions: ecir45

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks in advance.
Terry Starters I find the best, and the price is reasonable especially when you buy direct from the manufacture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts