V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my insurance bill for next year for my scooter. I am going to shop around this time. I have it insured with the agent I have used for years but I think that I am paying way too much ! I pay $421.00 a year with a three month lay off period ( Dec, Jan., Feb ). Also I have a $1000.00 Deductable. ( Grange Insurace Co. ). I have a 2002 Fat Boy.
I would like to compare it to other insurace companies and was wondering what companies you all use.

Thanks
PJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
GMAC Insurance - Yeah, that GMAC. $415/yr. for both bikes, full coverage, no deductable. Before moving to northern Cal. a couple years ago, we lived in Oregon and up there we had Farmers. If i remember correctly, the tab with them was about $700 with the same coverage, but a $250 deductable.

You just have to shop around.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I thought I had a good price at $899.00 for the year for a 2003 Springer. The $899.00 is through Pegram Insurance in Charlotte. Allstate insurance is who I have my auto wanted $1500.00 for the year!
Way to much!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Touringpro, thanks for the info, great insurance rate. I'll check out GMAC - never thought about them as an insurance company. That's what makes this forum great.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Try Mass. with $1,000 deductible....................................$1,500 a year(and thats with safe driver credits and a 10% discount) !!

Over 15 years no tickets or accidents !! And I'm 41 years old, Mass. is run by crooked politicians and insurance companies !!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I guess it depends on age, points, etc. I'm paying what I believe is way too much thru dairyland (via harley) and I'm paying 320 per year with no winter layoff, 250 deductible on a 2002 Deuce with $3000 accessory protection. Maybe it's my age! 50, no accidents or points, etc.

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Damn, I'd be delighted w/ $415 a year. I'm in NY paying $612 on my scoot. It's gotta be that NY thing. No on likes people from NY even if we're not from the city. But seriously, it has a great deal to do with where you live no matter which company you choose.

·
963 Posts
I was with progressivewith my previous bike, not harley, at 375 a yr/500 ded. When I got my 2001 deuce they wanted to go up to 450yr @ 1000 ded. I switched to state farm and got $389yr with 500 ded. This is in Ga. Also you should check on the medical payments. The cheaper rates usually don't cover the rider's medical expenses. Some policies let you add the med pay coverage as a seperate ammendment to the basic policy.-Rob

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
We should all cover ourselves with high liability un and underinsured coverage, when that someone makes a left in front of you with no or little insurance, at least you will still have coverage. And Mass only allows $5,000 in medical payment coverage for the driver. You also have to get guest insurance or your passenger is not covered.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
speakin of someone making a left in front of you, I had some ding-dong in a P T Cruiser do that to me Friday. One of those by inches, good thing all my brakes work. Got to say he stopped after he got through the intersection. I looked around before I went on, old woman to the right had her mouth wide open and a fella facing me was giving me a thumbs up. Never have liked the looks of a fuckin P T Cruiser.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I have H-D insurance..(guideone) for my 03 heritage classic... $523.00..a year... with no lay over for winter.. with a $250.00 deductable.... cheapset..and best coverage I could find... with an additional 10% off when I complete a safety course...and10% for being a H.O.G member.... plus a new bike if mine is totaled in the next 4 years... most insurance companies, only will give you book value..

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
I have all my vehicles w/ State Farm & the premiums for my bikes are:

03 FLSTFI: $365 (comp + coll / $500 ded)
83 GL650I: $81 (no comp/coll)

I looked online for cheaper rates for the new bike & everyone came up higher than what S.F. wanted.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Just renewed insurance today.

I'm with Progressive and the amount is $349/yr. with a $250 deductible. I agree with some of the other advice - shop around and see who will give you the best price. I tried that this year but Nationwide was nowhere close to what I'm paying now. The quote was something like $750/yr.

I don't know if it's a regional thing or not but around here most insurance companies will not write you a motorcycle policy unless you have something else insured with them first.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I checked around with several places and Progressive was at least 125 cheaper than any other insurance company.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My 2000 RK is $335/year with State Farm. No winter layoff, $250/deductible. Thats here in St. Louis

1 - 20 of 56 Posts