V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all... kind of new around here. I've been lurking for a while and now I have a queston. I hope some of you can help me out.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I've got a 2005 Road King Custom EFI with the following mods:

Bub True Duals
D&M Cycles Bullet Air Cleaner
10.25:1 Cast High Compression "95" Pistons 22661-99A Standard Bore
"95" Jugs
Compression Release Valves
Stock Heads
Woods TW-6g Gear Driven Cams
Race Tuner (never dyno'ed but scheduled in about 2 weeks)
Magnecor KV85 Plug Wires

I was one of the ill-fated, leaking valve guide seal victims and got into this build due to the dealer already being into the engine to replace the seals and offering me a deal I couldn't refuse on new jugs and pistons. Soon thereafter, I added the cams to get some torque back. Initially I didn't want to spend money on headwork and still don't.

The bike runs like a strip-ed ass ape, as my dad used to say, and I am sure once dyno'd things will be even smoother and better. The bike has plenty of speed and torque for me now... more or less scaring the sh!t out of me.

MY PROBLEM/QUESTION:

1. Since I got into this a bit at a time, I would like some confirmation that all these parts work together and I haven't put a round round peg in a square hole.

2. I have acquired a new noise since installing the 95 pistons. I am hearing a metal on metal sound... not scraping, but rather a sliding or fluttering noise that is dependant on rpm and usually more noticeable at lower speeds. I HATE IT. It is not the whirr of the gear cams... I like that. I read in another thread that the oil (SYN 3) could be the culprit so I ordered some RedLine 2060HD and will put it in next week. Dealer says noise is normal and the wrench listened with a stethoscope. I think all metal sounds will eventually end in a bad thing

3. Another noise after adding the cams (again not the whirr of the gears... did I mention I like that). At lower rpm, almost a lug, if I crank the throttle I get a rapid fire pinging sound (like bb's rapping against the inside of a metal can). Had the dealer listen and he said it was the valves closing differently due to the cam and that it was expected. I didn't expect it. It has forced a change in my riding technique to a higher RPM style and I have avoided (not eliminated) the noise. Again, maybe the oil will help with this issue as well.

So those are the three questions keeping me up at night. Can someone help me get some sleep.

Thanks for your help and I am glad to be here.

8-Ball

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Only thing I can help with is #3, and that's detonation, knock, whatever you want to call it.
Which map is in there?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know which map they used. He played with quite a few, so I was told, and it does run far better than how another dealer had set it. I figured since they are creating a new map for me in a couple of weeks, it didn't really matter. We all just wanted to get close until I could get it on the dyno.

This knock you describe, will it be something that the dyno will see and catch. Is it something that can be tuned out.

Thanks for the response.

8-Ball

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
If the same guy that told you the noises are to be expected is the same guy
that's doing your dyno, I would be concerned.
It sure sounds like pinging to me as Mega said.
Good Race Tuner/dyno techs are few and far between.
If the tuner knows what he is doing he will easily correct the problem
on the dyno.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
You might want to run an octane booster for the time being. I'm sure this is detonation and WILL damage the engine.

Chris

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SEDELUXE05 said:
look for the map that closley relates to your build. you will have to cross refrence cam specs , comp, timing and a host of other variables involved in how the bike runs. load that map and when the bike is on the dyno fine tune from there.
The tech was very concerned with the equipment installed in my bike before he started playing with the tuner. I gave him a complete list and I was told he would search a database and find the closest possible map for what I have, then we he got it on the dyno he would tweak it from there.

This sounds like what you are telling me.

What is the Baisley spring and what is entailed in installing it?

Thanks for the info.

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
Do a search on the Baisley spring and you will find tons of info on it. I'm putting one in the next time I'm in there.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Fuel and timing are way off for the TW6H with any canned SERT map. The bike has no throttle response from idle, correct?? And it takes a second or so to get up and running, right?? You are lean on the bottom end, and the timing for the short duration, high lift cam not even close. You need to add fuel in the 0 and 2% throttle row from 0 to about 2500. You are lean on the whole map, but you need to address this first. If you know how to use the SERT, simply add about 6% more fuel to the entire map. And take all your AFR readings that are in the 0 and 2% throttle range and drop them to about 12.8 up to around 1500 RPM. Take any AFR that is OVER 14.0 and drop them to 13.8. Should get you closer until you get to the dyno. But like nvsteve says, I would consider another dyno operator.

Good luck.
G

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GRock said:
Fuel and timing are way off for the TW6H with any canned SERT map. The bike has no throttle response from idle, correct?? And it takes a second or so to get up and running, right?? You are lean on the bottom end, and the timing for the short duration, high lift cam not even close. You need to add fuel in the 0 and 2% throttle row from 0 to about 2500. You are lean on the whole map, but you need to address this first. If you know how to use the SERT, simply add about 6% more fuel to the entire map. And take all your AFR readings that are in the 0 and 2% throttle range and drop them to about 12.8 up to around 1500 RPM. Take any AFR that is OVER 14.0 and drop them to 13.8. Should get you closer until you get to the dyno. But like nvsteve says, I would consider another dyno operator.

Good luck.
G
Rock, thanks for the post... sounds like you know what you are talking about. I'll print this out and take it with me to the dyno. I have no idea how to use the SERT so I will just have to wait. This will probably piss him off tho'. I am kind of stuck with this dyno operator... paid for. I just have to wait for them to get it installed. It is pretty slim pickins here in San Diego when it comes to dyno techs.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Congratulations.
I usually just have to declare my problems "normal" and live with them.
You must be one of the lucky ones. Silver spoon, etc., no doubt.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Perhaps this is why I never found it...it was in the wrong forum...glad to see things are all better...

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
harleyjsb said:
how fast can a striped assed ape run?is it faster than socks on a rooster?

I'm just askin'
!worthless

1 - 20 of 21 Posts