V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock pegs have to be the cheapest looking gear I've seen on any bike. I'm going to pick up some new pegs tomorrow and wonder what you have as an alternative and how you like them.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
stock here too, I hate em', may not fit the style of bike but I want floor boards. I think I will be getting these because I find myself putting my feet of the ends of the stock pegs to be more comfortable.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
MNV-rod, this is what I really want, from the RKC catalog, but I don't know if it will mount on the Rod. I think at least it would need some extention to keep away from those pipes. What do you think?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I dunno, to each there own definately, I just cant see the floorboards on a Vrod.

As for pegs im in the same position as all of you I am looking at both the Aileron pegs because like you I find my foot resting on the end of the current peg I think because of the exhaust and also looking at the Slotted Chrome pegs. The Aileron pegs are quite a bit more expensive then the slotted chrome ones however but again they are longer so that may be the deciding factor.

·
Registered
249 Posts
DJW,

I agree that the floorboards may not suit the V-Rod but I also agree that the concept is good. I put heel rests on my Rod and I think I've got the best of both worlds. Floorboard confort and it still looks good. I think the part number is 50227-01.

·
Registered
110 Posts
For what its worth, I installed the Reduced Reach Control Kit.
I had a problem with my heels dragging before the pegs. The accessory catalog advertised that these were 1” higher (Which I was looking for.) and 1” to the rear. Its closer to ¾”. But what it doesn’t say is that it’s almost an inch wider. (Which gets you away from the exhaust.) I also added the Slotted Pegs.
This kept my heels from hitting first, but the pegs seem to drag at the same lean angle. (Wider) The new position took a couple days of getting use to. Seemed a little cramped. I’m 5’11”. But you compensate by moving your feet out to the end of the pegs. Depending on the angle you set the pegs can effect the air to your feet. Prior to installing the kit I had to keep my feet planted solidly on the pegs after 80 MPH or the wind would blow them off. Now it’s closer to 100 MPH.
Floorboards????

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I spent some time on the HD website and put together a spreadsheet comparing the costs of the aileron vs. the slotted chrome and when all was said and done the aileron came out to be only about 30-40 bucks more.

Less expensive ways to go would be something like the custom footpegs, the footpegs with chrome endcap DJW mentions, or the airfoils.

They have a V-Rod on the showfloor so I compared them all and decided on the slotted chrome and rubber with the slotted chrome brake and shifter. I saw the ailerons on a deuce that was being delivered and they looked really nice, but there isn't a matching brake footpad for the V-Rods yet. I also threw on the chrome coolant hose cover which seems to complete the look.

Installation was very easy. The footpegs are held on with crappy snap rings so make sure you have the tool on hand before you start, preferably with a 45 degree bend. It wouldn't hurt to have a spare ring or two on hand since one of mine lost its snap.

Long story short, I think they look great and appreciate your suggestions.

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow if anyone's interested. Probably not anything you can't find in the catalog.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
larry1 said:
[Bthe wind would blow them off. Now it’s closer to 100 MPH.
Floorboards???? [/B]
I thought it was just me, just about 100 mph, my right foot blows off the peg. Very freaky feeling.

Yeah, I know the boards won't work, for one thing I've gotten used to using my heels as a lean angle sensor. Whenever I get her over too far, which is all the time, I tip my heel down a touch and feel the contact before I drag the pegs.

Mnv-Rod, yeah definitely post that pic!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts