V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 6' even, and the stock windshield is right in my viewing way -- it ends right at the section of road I watch. Has anyone tried the next size down (9 1/2")? I think that might work better for me...but would I get the same protection? This FLHT has gotten me spoiled...

I bought the small Lexan -- the one on the '02 cover FLHT std. I will sale for $75 and and ship anywhere lower 48. It's brand new -- used only once. Didn't provide enough protection for me...

Thanks in advance,
Mitch

·
Registered
903 Posts
Mitch, I am 6'2" and can see just over the stock 12" windshield. I think you'll be alright with the 9 1/2" windshield. Even though you're looking over the shield, the wind doesn't seem to be a problem if it's only a couple of inches.

·
Registered
903 Posts
oops, almost forgot to tell you... last night when riding home from work, I forgot my clear glasses and I rode at highway speeds without them - just looking over the windshield, without a problem at all.

·
Registered
684 Posts
chiselchst, I use the 9-1/2" windshiel and like it much better than the 12".

A few months ago, Hippo suggested that one member simply drill new slots in his windshield and slide it down inside the fairing.

If you do this, I'd suggest that you try it at 10-1/2". If that doesn't work, drill/notch some more until you get it where you like it. Just don't go too far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
chiselchst

I have a buddy who had the same problem. In UK (here) the Ultra comes with the small screen standard. This was too low for him at 6 feet tall. The tall screen was too big as he had to look through it.

His response was to get the screen cut down (to the same top profile as the original), by a loacl company who makes acrylic shop signs. They laser cut it for almost nothing?

Cutting the slots bigger actually changes the shape of the screen in the fairing since it narrows as it goes up.

By hey, if the slot thing works and you manage to still fit it in the fairing I'd love to see the resiults.

Cheers - be lucky

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You don't make the holes or "slots" bigger, you drill new ones when you got it where you want. You can go a little at the time. If you go more then a couple of inches, whack the excess off with a saw, no one can see the part in the fairing anyway and you eliminate possible interference with wiring.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you have access to fancy cutting methods, then you can outline the top of the windshield on a piece of cardboard and tape it on the screen at different heights until you find what you are looking for, and then you can have it cut to the exact original line along the top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts