V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for a set of true duals for my recently purchased 2001 Road King. The guy I bought it from did a bit of engine work and I guess he was really partial to Screaming Eagle parts. All of the parts are Screaming Eagle as far as I know. Here's what I know of that he did, which hopefully will help with the choice of exhaust.
It was changed to 95 cid, high compression pistons, S/E heads, S/E 257 cams, adjustable pushrods and a different S/E fuel injection system. I'm not sure what the injection system is, but it has 2 inlets instead of the one (like on my Heritage).
I know the 2 into 1 will make more power, but I like the looks of the duals (one pipe on each side) alot better. I like a little sound, but I ride about 10K a year and don't want it to be too loud. I have Vance and Hines Bigshot longs with the baffles still in on my Heritage and that's about what I'd like to get for this one.
Thanks in advance for any help or input.... Bud
Florence, SC

·
Still in one piece
269 Posts
I put the Vance and Hines true duals on my 2001 RK. It got me closer to the Harley sound and makes it MUCH easier to work on the right side of the engine. They look better than on a Heritage because there's more room for the bend in the pipe on the rear cylinder. I got the duals from a guy on Ebay for about 275. No problems with them.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I put V&H Duals on my '00. It's is 88' with 26G cams. I lost a good amount of bottom end. I made a couple of lollipop baffles to get back some backpressure. That helped a little. I added a DFO to the bike which also had a Stage I download to enrichen the fuel circuit. That pepped it up a bit, also. Even with the "tweaking", I think that the bike ran better with the stock headpipes.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've had V&H Oval slip-ons with the stock headers, and with the V&H True Dual headers - and now I have the V&H 2:1 ProPipe HS.

The best looking, and worst performing setup, was the True Duals. The best performance (and deepest/best sounding) is the ProPipe. Of course, these are my opinions. As far as the looks/sound go, that's totally subjective. The performance was 'seat of the pants' obvious, though.

If performance is not your thing, go for the True Duals - they look sweet. Otherwise, if you want the dual muffler look, stick with the stock headers. If you get a wild hair, and want all the performance you can get, go with the 2:1.

Personally, I would not go back since putting the 2:1 on. The performance (over the True Duals) is that much better on my bike (S/E Performance heads, Andrews 26G cams, Wimmer SuperFilter III Single-Track intake)...Good luck!

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I like your comments even though they are from October (I am newbie on the forum). Anyway, I think that I have found the answers to my question: true duals on Road King Classic 2001, yes or no? It seems that I have to stick to my stock "crossover" (I like to say "connected") pipes..........we shall see, I have to think a little bit once more........and side by side with all of that, I do pay attention to my bike's performance, especially here in Europe (i.e. Bosnia) where we do not have REAL speed limits (OK, yes we DO have), and if THEY catch you, it is not a big deal, you can NEGOTIATE the situation. I know that my RKC is not a racing bike, but.....it is good to have some more power and good performance under your/my butt....

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Yes? And, what is the result? Are you pleased with what you got? I can not check out that "activity" on enclosed (marvellous!) photo(s).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts