V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once you add pipes and an air cleaner the dealer has to download these new settings to the computer on the bike. What exactly is this download? Is the software somthing I can go out and buy? Can this been done with the commander unit I've heard people talking about? I work with computers for a living and got to thinking it may be worth my while to buy this software out right, if it can be bought, so I can do future upgrades myself and save some money in the long run.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As I understand it, what the tech is actually doing is re-flashing the PROM or EPROM fuel-injection controller chip. Sorta the equivalent of a PC BIOS upgrade in the old days.

Since it's all Harley proprietary stuff it's dealer-only work.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you work with computers for a living, considering you have a Delphi bike, just buy the EFI tuner over the counter or at a discount dealer over the internet and do your own thing.

Computer literacy is more then half the battle.

·
Registered
276 Posts
"Computer literacy is more then half the battle." [/B][/QUOTE]

Ineresting, so would you say generally with efi, if you are trying to tune with an HD tuner, powercommander or whatever. You would be better off with the new harley grad/computer geek than the wise old biker mechanic?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
In a way.

In order to make full use of these things you need both, the tuning experience and the computer literacy. There are very few people with both.

I just feel that someone with common sense and superior computer knowledge will eventually find his way into the ballpark. At least he should have the judgment to know what to leave alone and to follow instructions.
The best tuner in the world, if he is computer illiterate, will find his a$$ buried in alligators.

To get to home plate you need both.

In reality most bikes out there would be far better off if they were in the ballpark.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Aguy name Tdkkart at jpcycles.com explained it this way: The dealer Stage one download raises the rpm limit to an insane 6200, it more importantly WIDENS the narrow fuel map that comes stock due to EPA smog laws. Then you buy a PowerCommander3 and do free downloads from their website for your particular pipes, air cleaner, etc.. The PC3 then can richen up your fuel map over 100% throttle positions for the best power for your particular combination. You do the dealer re-flash once, and you can download maps as many times as you like. Be aware, you will probably have to yank the PC3 every time you go for service, or risk your warranty, depending on dealer whims. I'm no expert, but my 02 Heritage is a carb for simplicity.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wyodude said:

Blahafuckinhahahahaha

What exactly does that mean???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts