V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I occaisionally see posts that refer to "riding hard".............like, if you ride hard you should change oil every 1500 miles or so. Just what does riding hard mean? Does it mean riding long miles at constant speeds in hot temps, or high rev shifting or what? I very rarely push my bike beyond 3500-4000 revs or ride more than a 3-4 hours at one time.........is that riding hard?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Actually the hardest service for a bike would be constantly riding short distances in cold weather.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Any distance where the bike isn't at full operating temperature for a while, obviously the colder the weather the longer you would have to ride. Barhopping would be short distance.
It's not an absolute, you have use some judgement.

Generally burning a few tanks of fuel a day a little over interstate speed is as easy as it's going to get from a wear and tear point of view.

Things like stop and go traffic riding at high ambient temperatures can be hard on them too. Works both ways.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Riding hard typically refers to lots o throttle.

Like me.

Of course, Hippo is right.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
jaeco57 said:
I occaisionally see posts that refer to "riding hard".............like, if you ride hard you should change oil every 1500 miles or so. Just what does riding hard mean?
It means riding your scoot home from the titty bar. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
what ? don't sound like anyone knows

i have read the responses from some, and it doesn't seem to me that anyone really knows. well i can tel you. riding hard in my world is... getttin on the bike and getting to the distination (if thier is one ) as fast as you can. sometime in your life you will eventually go somewhere for the weekend, and it will be some distance. say like 300 miles. well you'll party your ass off, and then remeber that you gotta get home for the job you have to pay the bills, you ride all the way home no stopping (except for gas ). that's ridin hard. no? and its fun

·
Registered
629 Posts
Kinda like the word "****", it can be used in a lot of different ways. When my father did long drives doing deliveries (big truck), he rode hard. When I see a guy really pushing the limits on a twisty rode, I will say "Man, he/she rides that bike hard." Or, the person with more money then brains goes out and just runs full throttle everywhere, even if but for no reason but because it is a fast bike, that person rides hard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts