V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I feel like a maroon here but.... I have a 95 FLSTN and I want to get a Sportster for my wife. I had a sporty back in the early days but I dont know what this "883" and "1200" means. I have read you can up an 883 to a 1200, what does this mean? Is the sportster a good bike for her to learn on and maybe later move up to the big twins or should I just buy a yamakawahonsuzi for her to learn on? And also...what does "hugger" mean???

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
It is the cylinder displacement in cc's. There are 1,000cc in a 61 cubic inch engine.

An 883cc engine is about 54 cubic inches, and a 1200cc engine is 74 cubic inches.

As to increasing engine size for more horsepower or torque, well, that's a debate that has been roaring for decades. A professionally tuned, ported and polished 883 with custom cams and improved carburation will walk a stock 1200 Sportster like it was bolted to the floor.

Then, the 1200cc guy will point out torque, passing power, engine longevity, etc., and the whole argument will continue!

·
Registered
124 Posts
They stand for 883 cubic centimeters and 1200 cc respectively which are in the Sportsters. An 883 can get new 1200 cc cylinder heads if desired. The Dyna model has a 88 cubic inch motor which is 1450 cc and unbalanced, but rubber mounted in the frame and the soft tail models have a balanced 88 c.i. motor. The Sportster is a great bike and will be a lot of fun to ride for both you and your wife.

06 FXDBI

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aha.... my sportster was a '71 with the 1000cc engine. I didnt realize they went back down to a smaller engine.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Sportsers really aren't the best "learner" bike. The carry thier wieght high and have a short rake. They do this so that they handle well at speed. Slow speed manuverability is more difficult though. There are learner bikes out there, the Sporty just isn't one. I bought my wife a Wide Glide to learn on. I ride the Sportster. Maybe someday if she wants more power and better handling she can upgrade, but, for now the Wide Glide is a good safe bike for her.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have to agree completely with Cadiero's comments about the Sportster being a "starter" or "learner" bike. The seat height on a 1200C is a full two inches higher than a Soft Tail on a bike that is only four inches shorter, but also over 140 pounds lighter. Put a 4.5 gallon gas tank on top of that and a very light front end, and I think you have a bike that is anything but "easy" to ride. Add a second person riding two-up and you add a whole other dimension to it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My friends wife dumped her sporty at a gas station cause they are to tall for most chicks. She was so embarassed, they traded it in that day for a wide glide. Fits her much better. A sporty is a mans bike for tearin around town/twisties.

·
Registered
26 Posts
To each their own I suppose. My girl's got a 1200 Low for a first bike and is loving every minute of it. She debated starting with something else, but the other day she turned to me and sad, "I'm so glad I got this bike. It's perfect."

$.02.

·
Registered
316 Posts
flyinv55 said:
... I want to get a Sportster for my wife. I had a sporty back in the early days but I dont know what this "883" and "1200" means. .......... Is the sportster a good bike for her to learn on and maybe later move up to the big twins or should I just buy a yamakawahonsuzi for her to learn on?

I love my Sportster. It's the right bike for me now that I've got alot of riding experience, but, I do not think it's a good beginners bike at all. Get her something smaller, lighter, and more balanced and she will feel much more confident while in the green stages....I do see what mpemulis claims his wife said,
but believe me, the majority of women who try to start from scratch on a Sportster do not share those sentiments...

99% of the ladies on delphi's women riders section will agree if you want to ask them as well there's the link.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The Tourist said:
A professionally tuned, ported and polished 883 with custom cams and improved carburation will walk a stock 1200 Sportster like it was bolted to the floor.

Then, the 1200cc guy will point out torque, passing power, engine longevity, etc., and the whole argument will continue!
So maybe I need a tuned ported and polished 1200 with custom cams. I'm not sure if the re-jetting kit that came with my 1200 conversion is all the improvement I'll need in carburation. What are the quick and dirty anwers: How much does this cost? What can I expect for imprevement? What are the risks wrt engine longevity?

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
girl at work dropped her top heavy sporty on knee- tore it up band, brace now, yuk

she got a FXDL (dyna low) have your wife find a 99~2000 FXDL, and she will be sold on that, and you can borrow it =^)

·
Registered
1 Posts
So maybe I need a tuned ported and polished 1200 with custom cams. I'm not sure if the re-jetting kit that came with my 1200 conversion is all the improvement I'll need in carburation. What are the quick and dirty anwers: How much does this cost? What can I expect for imprevement? What are the risks wrt engine longevity?
I stepped up one jet size for my 1200 conversion more because of the exhaust I'm using than bore size, But I believe I'll go back to stock pilot jet as it seems a little rich from off idle till main jet kicks in.
It's my understanding that most carbs come from the factory with jets a little larger than needed
As far as porting highly polished exhaust but leave the intake a little rough for better atomized air fuel mixture.
Cams are a different story, Hammer Performance says there isn't enough gain on a 1200 conversion to justify expense of a set of cams as lift is limited because of valve overlap,you'll get about all the gain available from the larger bore and higher compression of the 883 heads smaller combustion chamber.
s

·
Registered
17,669 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts