V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I was wondering is, do you use it for oil changes, bike cleaning, storage, or what?
I bought a Sears lift, but can't use it to change oil on my Lowrider (gets in the way of Dyna drain plugs) . I have used it to give the bike a good cleaning, and will use it again in a couple of days for some minor service.
I'm still glad I have it. I'd rather have it and not use it much, than not have it, and need it.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Flash, I use my lift regularly. You are right about it not being good for oil changes though.

I use it to remove the front or rear wheel when I need a new tire. The mounting and balancing is only eight bucks for a new tire but the labor charge would be an additional $29.00 without saddlebags(additional charge). The days are over for me mounting new tires but pulling the wheel off is no big deal and not a chance that some young kid in the shop will do something stupid to my bike.

I use it for all front end work. I've replaced the triple trees, fork seals in new chrome sliders, pack neck bearings, adjust fall away on neck, ect. I have also used it for rear shock replacment...makes it easier for me.

I use it for basic inspection. Rotating rear wheel to look at belt for nicks or cracks or shreds. I look at tire surface for cuts or embedded metal , staples, nails, screws, especially before a long trip. Rotating the wheel can be used to check for a warped rotor although you could probably hear and feel it before hand.

I use it to clean and polish the wheels(my most dreaded task). It's alot easier to reach places that are rotated to you.

There are several things that down the road with miles you will need the lift for if you do all your own service including swingarm maints. ect.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I bought one of the sears lifts also, I need to build a sporty adapter for it

·
Registered
458 Posts
Got the bagger sitting on mine now waiting to get the back tire mounted tomorrow. Works to lift the riding mower from the back too. :D

·
Registered
544 Posts
I use mine for oil changes, since the drain plug is almost in the center of the engine you have to get it straight up to get all the oil out. Also use it to clean the bike.

I purchased a Larin Motorcycle jack off eBay, was supposed to be a 2001 model and compared it the low model in the ad. Well went I got it $55 for the jack and $50 for shipping they tried a bait and switch and sent me the lower model. But when I complained they refunded me half my money, so for less than $50 I can't ***** too much. It works ok but I strap it down to be safe.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
My dad purchased one from Northern Tool and Equipment. Ive used it on my Sportster and he used it on a Yamaha Roadstar he had, and now uses it on his Ultra Classic. It makes a lot the PAIN IN THE A$$ jobs like cleaning, engine work and anything else much more bearable.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I just ordered a Rivco center stand. For me, a jack is not convenent (I like to wheel the bike out front of the condo, jack is too heavy) PLUS, the center stand should work when i am traveling, and I want to clean the bike. Not cheaper though, stand is pretty pricey.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I use it as a railroad switching plate. LOL
Where I park the bike there is no room to turn it around, so I ride it in and use the lift to turn it 180 degrees in it's own lenght.

You can use them to change the oil just fine. The drain pan doesn't fit because the lift is in the way, but you can use a lenght of plastic raingutter hooked to the lift to direct the oil to a pan anywhere near the lift.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I use it on my Fat Boy for cleaning, general maintenance (just lift it enough to get wheels an inch off the ground), fluid changes, and sometimes to shove it up against the back garage wall so I can get my Supercrew all the way in the garage with all the other crap. It will probably be on the lift continuously from December through March unless we get some really odd weather before the first salt is spread.

·
Just bad
698 Posts
I use a floor jack with a 2 X 12 on it. To drain fluids, I use some blocks and a couple of small jack stands up front so I can remove the jack and slide a catch pan under the center.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I use mine for changing tires, cleaning and general maintenance, and a toe stumper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts