V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my new rig at the dealers still but someone just through me a curve. this well known preformance shop(20 years plus, active on the drag scene here in bc) i use occasionally suggests scrapping the 95" route as it only produces 10% at best increase. i am looking at the dyno printouts on various customers bikes and have to agree that his stage2 set up for my ultra looks amazing. knight prowler bolt in gear drive cams, pro exaust, k&n air, time saver push rods. about $3-3500 canadian. doesn't look like a lot of parts or labour, but the dyno on the exact bike shows 86.5 hp and a staggerring 94 foot pounds of torque. stock readings before were 64.73 and73.28 respectively. he claims the cam set up will increase top end oil flow, eliminate traditional cam tensioner, etc probs and prolong engine life. screw the 7year $2010 warranty?

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Can you be more specific?

Please describe in detail the dealer's recommended components for Stage II vs the perf shop's recommended build.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, my real issue is with the warranty, which apparently is already violated if i use v&h exaust. the h-d dealership was to put in the stage2 95' kit that consisted of pistons, some warrantiable se cams, k&n air cleaner, v&h pipes. this kit dynoed does not come close to the preformance shops 88" set up. to clarify, my thoughts are really about weather or not the extended 7 year warranty is really worth the expense or if i should spend the equivalent(less actually) on something i am not familiar , but impressed with. not a great wrench and want a reliable rig for a few years. any comments or familiarity with these bolt in cam set ups? thanks, kevin

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
bc_hombre said:
got my new rig at the dealers still but someone just through me a curve. this well known preformance shop(20 years plus, active on the drag scene here in bc) i use occasionally suggests scrapping the 95" route as it only produces 10% at best increase. i am looking at the dyno printouts on various customers bikes and have to agree that his stage2 set up for my ultra looks amazing. knight prowler bolt in gear drive cams, pro exaust, k&n air, time saver push rods. about $3-3500 canadian. doesn't look like a lot of parts or labour, but the dyno on the exact bike shows 86.5 hp and a staggerring 94 foot pounds of torque. stock readings before were 64.73 and73.28 respectively. he claims the cam set up will increase top end oil flow, eliminate traditional cam tensioner, etc probs and prolong engine life. screw the 7year $2010 warranty?
What about the head work?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nada. i just am wanting to compare these 2 applications as they are without introducing anything else.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, thanks sedelux..........that's kinda the logic i have. there seems to be a lot of disagreeance even between dealers as for as what will be warrantied. you are right, it is my rig and i believe i will pick it up stock and drive it into Jarz in abbotsford BC to do some magic on. gonna continue researching and look into head work. still curious as to these gear drive knight prowler cams. cheers

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
A buddy of mine has an Indian Chief with the S&S 88" motor. He runs the knight prowler cam as well. In addition, he's had his heads flowed and runs an S&S Super G carb. He claims close to 100 hp. Now I haven't seen the dyno sheet on his bike, but it is pretty quick. I have seen him outrun bikes with 95" kits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts