V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've stated on other posts that I am a first time bike purchaser. I went to AAFES and of the four bikes I was considering, the Road King was the only one available. They have two. Both two tone, alarm sys., and wire wheels. Red/Black and Green, Grey or Black. $300 to hold and approval from a financial inst. $16,800 out the door price. Bad news: I would have to have someone pick up the bike and store until I get out. He said I could take delivery in Sept. or Oct. I don't get out of the military until 31March03. May have to make it longer, since I plan to get married(she's German) and have to get her through the INS process.
There you have it. Comments welcomed and appreciated. I have some serious thinking to do. I would like to move on it pretty soon. I'll at least sleep on it. Just a big step. Thanks for entertaining my decision. J.T.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Good price. If the $300 rolls to the purchase have them do a stage 1 kit and change the mufflers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
After going through the INS process with my daughter-in-law, get all the paperwork now and start filling it in. After you are married, sent it in to the INS and WAIT. Of course you will need about $1,000 to go along with that. Each form cost X amount of dollars to process. Make sure you get the form that allows her to leave the country and return after the paperwork is initially filed. She will not be allowed back in the country without it if she leaves to visit home

The price is right for the bike considering the options and you will not have to pay sales tax. Ask where the bike can be picked up. If it is a dealer in the U.S. contact them and see if they will hold it there still in the box till you get there. I'm sure they will hit you with a dealer prep charge too. If the dealer will not hold it, a moving and storage place can hold it till you get there. Check with the department that will be handling your move back to the states for possible storage facilities.

If you wait to buy when you get to the states, you might have to wait allot longer, it will cost you more, and you might not get what you are looking for. Keep us informed of the progress.

G

·
Another consideration. The 12 month warranty begins when you buy the bike. If you can't ride it for the first 3 to 6 months, you loose that warranty time.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
695 Posts
fearnot69,
I hope you to misunderstand me -- if you're getting out of the service, I'm sure you have job plans already lined up but you're getting married too. There are a lot of things that usually have a higher priority when a person is in your shoes. I was an E-4 when I married a foreign national, I remember all the things that were a must, just to live. All I'm trying to say without offending you is, make sure you can afford this bike "after" you know what you'll need for you and your new wife. Every military base offers budget assistance (for free). Take advantage of it, these professionals are trained to think about things to apply to your busget that you may have over looked.
Anyway good luck with your decision on the bike. If you need help storing your bike, I'd like to offer my assistance.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
cox9000 said:
fearnot69,
If you need help storing your bike, I'd like to offer my assistance.

I'll go one step further. I'd be happy to break it in for you for free.

Bla HahahahahSorryHadToDoIt :D

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, gentlemen. I believe that I will go and put down the required to hold the bike and put my name on it. It is a good deal and I won't loose money. I would probably get the extended warrenty also. Yep cox9000, I have thought about getting the proper paperwork in order. I just need to see exactly what we need to get it done. I spoke with a Doc, who married a national, and went to the embassy and did the paperwork in three days. There are other things going on with the situation or we would have already got married. I'd rather not go into on the forum, but you can send me an email. Check my profile. I just don't want to loose the chance to buy it. Yep, I have the money to purchase it. Almost outright. I've been saving and have money put aside. Being a nurse, I can get a job at any time. Need for nurses is critical. However, I want to finish a BSN and want to start back to school. Quick, Fast, and in a hurry. Won't take long. I can get it in two years, max. I am just concerned. It's a big decision and I don't want to a mistake. Thanks for the offer for assistance. I was told from the rep. here that I could have someone pick up the bike and store it at home. I know a guy, with a rollback, who could pick it up. He has a RoadKing and a tire business. He trailered a car for me from Memphis, TN to Martinsville, VA. Cost a sh*tload and I'm sure he would help me agian.

Another question. If I get someone to pick up the bike for me, it won't be titled or insured. If something happens to the bike, I'm fu*ked? Right? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance. I need the support and you guys are great!!
J.T.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you finance the bike, the bank or credit union you finance it through will require you to have it fully insured to get the loan. That is done to protect them as well as you. All the insurance company needs is the VIN number. You will probably have to pay as if it was on the road. Check with you current insurance company and see what their policy is. HD insurance is very expensive. I'm paying about $225 every 6 months through State Farm in FL. That is full coverage.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Gentlemen...I put down the money to hold the bike. I got a call today and was told that I got the loan........HOWEVER, since I wasn't re-enlisting they won't allow the loan. It seems that the offer is for active duty. If I provided my re-enlistment paperwork, there would be NO PROBLEM. I guess slapping down over half the price of the bike in cash wasn't a serious enough offer. So, F'em. I am going to pull some strings and try to just pay cash for it. I hope that is still an acceptable form of payment. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens. Oh, wasn't sure if I stated, but it is two tone red and black. They also had the two tone 'something-rather' green and black. Hard to tell what exactly the green looked like and I know what the red looks like, so I went with the red/black combination.

MilesOfSmiles, I did consider your suggestion. The bike comes with a four year/unlimited milage warranty, so I'll be covered for a while.

JimmyK, you can't break it in, but you can pick it up for me and put it in my garage. I'll even let you start her up and take a short spin....only after I get back. But, thanks for the offer any how.

Kampnnut, didn't think about that. Sounds right. However, if I do pay for it out right, I may insure it just in case something were to happen during transfer from dealer to home. I've just read horror stories of people purchasing cars, not titled and insured, and the transporter wrecked and the car was a total loss.

Thanks again for the advice. It has helped a great deal. J.T.

·
Registered
695 Posts
J.T.
If the company transporting your vehicle wrecks your bike, car or truck -- they pay. The only horror would be if a person wasn't smart and went with some flunky outfit. Any respectable company has to carry insurance for that bumber sticker titled, "Sh*# Happens".
We used to sing a cadence (military days) titled, "Re-Up - ReUp You're Crazy -- Re-Up - Re-Up you're Outa Your Mind". Maybe your Re-Enlistment NCO's will start hanging out at the Harley AAFES.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Little off topic, but I need to chime in.

Do not assume you will have a job! Get a job now! I know that what I do is, and always will be in demand. But when I went looking, I couldn't find one that would start out with what I needed, pay wise. You need at least a year in advance to try and find something. You are in a delicate situation where it is going to be hard to get any loans (plan to buy a house?), don't have a job, have the new responsibility of a family (not like being single).

Really think this through, and plan as much as possible. It is rough in the real world right now, make sure you have your **** straight before you even try to enter. Have you taken a TAPS class yet?

G

·
Fearnot69,
That green is probably the suede green. I had an 02 Rich Red Road King. Not the red and black. Just pearl red. I loved that color. Then, on May 19th I got creamed. The bike was totalled. I replaced it with one of the last 02 Screaming Eagle Road Kings.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Man oh man. Too many BS Responses, Worries, What If's, and So Whats.

Bottom line. We all know that there are folks who will wait for the "perfect time" to buy their dream. These folks end up sitting on the porch telling their grandkids they chose Aluminum Siding.

Then there are folks that have it so deep in their blood that they WILL figure a way to make it happen.

The guy sounds like the latter of the two and GOOD FOR HIM!

Just BUY THE SOMEA B1TCH and let the rest all fall into place.

SALUTE FOR YOUR SERVICE TO THIS COUNTRY!

SALUTE YOUR NEW BRIDE !

SALUTE YOUR DREAMS YOU DESERVE EM !

Piss on the Warranty, the movers, the lending company and all Kia's EVERYWHERE! Oooops! Where was I?

OH YEA! You will be a HOG Member for the first year FREE!

:eek: Damn! You're right. There are some serious implications in this decision.

BLA HAHA MakeLikeNikeAndJustDoIt HA!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, Cox9000. I told the lady concerning the loan, the only way they could get me to re-enlist is if the Army gave me the bike as an incentive!

Sidewalk, I do appreciate your advice. Yes, I am worried about the job market. However, with the present shortage of nurses, I don't see having a problem obtaining one. I do plan on getting hooked up on a job and school squared away by the time I get home. I've been a nurse for about six years now. Worked in three different areas of nursing. I've got the house(2bed/2bath) I haven't been in for that long. This is my first enlistment: Less than fours years on the inside. I'll probably continue with the Guard or Reserves until I finish a BSN program and get my commission. I plan to work full-time and go to school full-time. It will be a big sh*t burger, but it can be done. Health care for the misses and "our" daughter will be my only concern. (She's the cutest two year old you ever laid eyes on!) That's why I will work full-time so they will be insured. Don't take me the wrong way. I am a pretty frugal person. I have planned for my financial future. My father started me off right....

JimmyK, Amen!! I'm 32 and wanted one for years. If I can, I gonna pay for it in cash. I don't need no stinkin' loan! Oh, I do have a couple questions though. What is a Stage I kit? Suggestions on a exhaust that is loud with performance?(Thunderheaders?? Hooker??) And what is this ongoing joke about H.O.G.? Thanks for entertaining me and the suggestions.:D As always, comments welcomed!

Oh, MilesOfSmiles. I hope you are alright! When did this happen and what happened? Thanks J.T.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
fearnot69 said:
"....

JimmyK, Amen!! I'm 32 and wanted one for years. If I can, I gonna pay for it in cash. I don't need no stinkin' loan! Oh, I do have a couple questions though. What is a Stage I kit? Suggestions on a exhaust that is loud with performance?(Thunderheaders?? Hooker??) And what is this ongoing joke about H.O.G.? Thanks for entertaining me and the suggestions.:D As always, comments welcomed!

Hiya JT!

You will do FINE!

Stage 1 is a mod to your intake that in a nutshell allows more air into the scoot. More air in allows for more air out.

As for my personal view, performance wise with a sage 1 on a FLHRCI is Vance and Hines if you are only changing the slip ons.

Sound and perfomance, I would lean towards Sampsons which would sacrifice a bit of the performance in exchange for a better sound.

Everyone has their preferences, those are simply mine yet I have yet to write a Gospel.

I feel good for ya man !

G

·
A cager pulled out in front of me. I was headed south and he bolted out of a gas station to make a keft turn and go north. I hit his left front fender at 45mph. I went airborne for 50 feet. Broke my left humerus above the elbow. Lacerated my chin (15 stiches). Broke a front tooth which butterflied my upper lip (6 stiches).

Pushed my front forks into my down tubes and they got into the front jug of the engine.

I saw that bike on Ebay. The salvager was auctioning it off as is. The bidding got up to $8100 and that didn't hit his reserve. My ins. co. told me the salvage value on the bike was $6500. I don't know why he had the reserve so high.

Anyway, I'm OK and in the wind again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.