V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a Motherwell's luggage rack which uses the rear mounting hole (this comes out sounding bad no matter how I say it). Of course the phrasing of your question is going to draw a LOT of speculation.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just stuck the same screw back in there, but it looks terrible (although somewhat covered by the rack).

Along the same lines, what did you use to cover the holes when you took off the rear foot rests?

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
My seat came with a chrome (plastic) rounded plug that slides right in, when 2 up the plug is supposed to mount in a hole in the underside of the back seat but it looks like it would be lost on the road in about 2 seconds so when not in use I leave it home.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I have seen 2 in spikes sticking up for effect, but I would worry about those in a crash.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I made a steel peice that followed the contour of the fender and conected to the screw hole and mounted on the seat posts. Had it chromed. Got tons of compiments and questions about where I got it. I wish I had some pics, but it went with the bike. Might make a new one for my glide.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
There is a small flat black plastic plug with the bar & shield on it available from H-D. Sorry, I don't have a part number. There was one in the extra hole under the seat on my dyna.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I currently use the HD thumbscrew as I occasionally switch to the two-up seat and need a way to fasten that down.

For my wife's bike (and mine once I get to the point of not using the two-up at all), I'm thinking to take out the nut & clip from the hole, and use a standard plastic (black usally) hole plug. These can be found at any hardware store and are similar to that mentioned by wydeglyde but w/out the bar & shield.

I'm figuring I can paint the with some touch up paint to match the bike color and the hole should more or less 'disappear'. I haven't actually tried this tho yet.

·
Winter SUCKS
1,353 Posts
There was a guy on eBay who "custom makes" these pieces. He refers to it as "jewellery for your bike". It is a small piece of Onyx (color matched to your bike), surrounded with some high polished chrome. They are pricey ($29.95), but they sure look good! PM me if interested, and I can send you the link to his Website. I'm ordering one later this week. Ride safe.

Mike

·
Just happy to be here
858 Posts
I'd get kicked outta da house if I called it a "rear screw hole," let alone tried to put something in it. :nono:

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
harleymike77 said:
There was a guy on eBay who "custom makes" these pieces. He refers to it as "jewellery for your bike". It is a small piece of Onyx (color matched to your bike), surrounded with some high polished chrome. They are pricey ($29.95), but they sure look good! PM me if interested, and I can send you the link to his Website. I'm ordering one later this week. Ride safe.
Mike
bowtech40 said:
I made a steel peice that followed the contour of the fender and conected to the screw hole and mounted on the seat posts. Had it chromed. Got tons of compiments and questions about where I got it. I wish I had some pics, but it went with the bike. Might make a new one for my glide.

This is kinda where I was headed. Seems like an easy place to do something cool and unusual. Maybe a cross that follows the contour of the fender. Keep 'em coming..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Loaded question!
But all puns aside, the stock plastic peice that comes attached under the rear pillion works great for me (like 98RKC said). Before I noticed that, I just reattached the screw that holds the pillion to keep from losing it.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Those holes are the same size and threaded the same as the different HD license plate mouting bolts they sell. I put these in the holes on the wifes bike. I think it looks good and was a reasonably priced solution.

Also, if anyone cares, the holes for mounting the windshield are the same size as well

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts