V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Pros: Faster, cheaper, smoother, more reliable than any HD, decent looking (there is an an upgrade kit that gets rid of that stupid sportbike muffler and replaces with chrome),

Cons: Probably none, dammit.

Point is, there is no logical reason to buy a HD over the Mean Streak....it is a much better value, even considering a lower resale percentage...you either want a HD and can afford it or you don't. For me it is what my riding buddies have and it wouldn't be the same if we owned all different brands. It's like a corvette car club.....the Toyota Celica is a fine car but it just wouldn't be right for the Toyota guy to show up at the Corvette meetings and think "hey, we're all car guys right?) Plus, I like all the personalization options out there for Harleys.

I know you didn't ask for a comparison to a harley but you must have expected it on here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Logical - Well, you said everything I was thinking. It seems like the better bike to me. And I don't need a Harley to fit in with my circle of friends. Most of my riding friends have *** baggers. A few have Harleys.
I got caught up in the Harley mistique when I went to the Open Road Tour in Balto. last month. That really got me jacked up. But I really don't fit in with the Harley image. I'm 51, no tattoos (yet), and don't hang anyplace where having a Harley would do me any good (don't 'hang' anywhere for that matter). I also am not a tinkerer, so having a more trouble free bike would suit me well.

Thanks for your candid reply.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Well, I don't think the tattoo remark was exactly necessary but none the less....good luck with the Kaw. Most harley owners don't fit the Harley image because the image was created by Hollywood and others.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry if I offended anyone with the tattoo remark. But Hollywood aside, when I was at the Harley Open Road tour, most of the guys there were bigger and tougher looking than I'll ever be. And most of them had tattoos. I'm not against tattoos. I like them. I just don't happen to have one now. Anyway, I'm not so sure that the image that I have of Harley riders was created in Hollywood. Unless you mean that those guys picked up their image from what Hollywood presented.
I'm starting to confuse myself now.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I guess my only point was...don't avoid buying a Harley because you don't have or want tattoos or don'r look like a badass....buy whatever you want and you will find plenty of others to fit in with. If you aren't drawn to Harley then you have a lot of good options. In many ways i wish my riding buddies were more open minded about what to ride.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again. I think you are right about finding people to fit in with.

I am drawn to Harleys. I just think that some of the other bikes that am also drawn to, may be more trouble free.

·
Registered
695 Posts
You're making it harder on me Wheelman HA! Just kidding!
So when, where and what kind of tatoo are you going to get -- you bad ass bike gang member that gets into fixing all kinds of stuff and while your at it why don't you trim up that frizzy beard? :)

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I just realized I was thinking all along you were asking about the Yamaha road star warrier when i made the comment about the exhaust....oh well...you know all japanese bikes look the same to us Harley guys.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Logical - I thought you were a little mixed up when you mentioned the exhaust. I think the staggered pipes on the Mean Streak look good. I'd probably want to exchange them for something more audible though.

Cox - I'm thinking of getting a big ol' tattoo of a Japanese bike that covers my whole arm. Actually I'm going to get some black socks tattooed on so I never have to change them again.

Later guys.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey - I'm a Seasoned rider

With that last post of mine, I went from an FNG:) to a 'Seasoned Rider'. I was wondering how long I was going to be an FNG. I guess it's OK to get that tattoo now.

I kind of liked being an FNG. Will being a Seasoned rider bring bring me new found respect? Will it bring me fame and fortune? Who knows. In the words of Jacques Coustou, as son Felipe goes over the side of the boat, 'All we can do now, is wait'.

(As you can see, I've got too much time on my hands)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Screw image, ride what you want. Don't decide on not riding a Harley because you do not have big tattoes and big arms. Then again, don't decide a Kawi isn't good enough because it isn't a tough guys bike or some bull.

Ride what you want, screw what everyone else thinks.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
I'm gonna have to vote no here. The kawi looks to me like any other harley knock off. If you want a bike to look like harley, buy a harley. Take a look at the Yamaha Road Star Warrior though, it seems to have a profile all it's own, and the performance beats anything Harley has except the VR. At 12k, there is plenty of years to ride before the resale on the a harley will catch up, but it will catch up eventually. You simply can't match the harley resale, you basically get to ride it for free. To match the value of this bike you will have to spend about 18 k on a harley, and put up with a bunch of A-holes at the dealership.-IMHO

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, if you want to ride pick up the Kawi. If you want to sell it get the Harley. Personally, I get an incalcuable amount of joy from a smooth, powerful, reliable bike that outweighs the higher resale any day.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sidewalk yer the man!! I agree about screw image.If it takes a brand
of MC to define oneself then I'll stick to myself!!Ride whatever,Main Point
is just RIDE!! (Safely of course)
masher:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 02 Mean Streak.. I love the bike. Looks good and handles great.
I like the HD's, especially the Springer Softail, but I couldn't justify the extra $$'s.

Wheelman said:
Anybody know anything about the Kawasaki Mean Streak? I love the looks of it and am considering it. Any pros or cons?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts