V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
1,361 Posts
I too carry the Co2 Cartridges. Spare plugs along with a small selection of hand tools. I prewind electrical tape around a multi screw driver. Experience has taught me to also carry zip ties, a medium pair of vice grips, small tube of waterless hand cleaner, a rag, bandaids and a extra small flashlight.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
yeah zip tie wraps and a bar of soap if i gotta change the chain...fun(dirtbag spare i carry also...on trips)and 1/2 coat hanger to route the chain....oh and the ice chest for "i code" beer stops

·
Banned
619 Posts
I carry same tools all the time. Never come out. Rain gear does though. Breaker bar, 3/8 and 1/4 ratchers, wrenches allens, torx, emergency belt for 5 speed, some nuts and bolts, lots of tywraps

Firsr few years carried a service manual on big trips. That was bulky.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I carry same tools all the time. Never come out. Rain gear does though. Breaker bar, 3/8 and 1/4 ratchers, wrenches allens, torx, emergency belt for 5 speed, some nuts and bolts, lots of tywraps

Firsr few years carried a service manual on big trips. That was bulky.
I’ve been looking for those emergency belt kits. Do you know if anyone is still selling them?

·
Banned
619 Posts
I’ve been looking for those emergency belt kits. Do you know if anyone is still selling them?
I don't think so. I got one for my 5 speed. They were still selling them when 6 speed came out for a little bit. But not for 6 speed.

I ran into a guy in Alaska using one. He had to keep re setting it up every so many miles. But he said he was skipping getting belt replaced with hopes of making it farther. So it must not be awful.

Problem is figuring out how to use it on side of road. Its bulky, but been carrying it almost 20 years.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
when i saw the belt kit i wasnt convinced....when i had a belt that was a big worry..and had2 break on me and needed a tow...but that was from my swingarm shifting around(since fixed)....but putting on a chain releived me of that forever

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Riding with a partner for 15 years, I learned early on that doing things correctly in a controlled environment {the garage} is much easier than having/trying to explain "why", with traffic flying by, the motorcycle stopped,
Knowledge & confidence the maintenance of the bike{s} is good, some zip ties & a Leatherman tool, that's what's in the bag. The AAA card will handle anything else.

Reactions: jerseyjames1228

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Couple on ebay. They are model specific for length. And they work well. We rode for over 400 miles before I replaced it with a permanent belt. And the swingarm doesn't have to be removed all the way for the new belt to go on,,, just enough to slip/twist the belt past it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
They do make a universal tire monitor thing that is installed in the trie to monitor the pressure .
I bought one, but..never installed it, ...yet
It might e a good tool to have onboard?

·
Banned
619 Posts
They do make a universal tire monitor thing that is installed in the trie to monitor the pressure .
I bought one, but..never installed it, ...yet
It might e a good tool to have onboard?
I've thought about it. 3 years ago, tire went flat in the rain, on the interstate. No holes, so I probably negelected it. I don't check every day like some claim to. I ride almost every day and check here and there.

But would have been nice to pull over in a control fashion, or catch it earlir.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I keep a multi tool, a few super flat wrenches in our common sizes, torx foldout,Stubby Phillips head, small towel.

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
1,361 Posts
Back in the 80s when I was off roading I bought this little one way valve thing you screw into a plug hole and it would pump air into a tire. It had a long hose with a clamp on nipple. Anybody remember those things? It worked on my bike too if I didn't want to pump fuel enriched air into the tire I'd turn the fuel off and just crank the motor with the starter in short bursts.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
and another thing if your belt breaks is ...go find it if you can...LOL....I blew off a chain(cheap ass one...use pricey ones now) in a downtown street and could not find it...going slow?...to see how it failed...master i think blew out

21 - 40 of 59 Posts