V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to ask. I'll be taking longer and longer trips and I'd like some ideas on what I should carry with me, just in case, without having to tote my entire set of Craftsman tools. Any suggestions?

Greg

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Besides the wrenches that fit all fasteners, I take tire plugs and compressor, multi-tester and fuses, a few nuts and bolts, jumper cables or jump pack. Sounds excessive but over the years I have used them all. Lonslo

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Besides the wrenches that fit all fasteners, I take tire plugs and compressor, multi-tester and fuses, a few nuts and bolts, jumper cables or jump pack. Sounds excessive but over the years I have used them all. Lonslo
Do you pull it all in a trailer, lol.
I have a wrench to remove sparkplugs, pliers, adjustable wrench, multi-tip screwdriver, a few select allens and a mini battery jumppack. What parts would you have with you anyways.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Daily rides a Leatherman. I add some tools for longer rides. On a trip lasting up to a couple of weeks, I don't take much more. Beyond that, I will add some tools; enough to pull the exhausts, wheels, plug a tire and air it up, change the oils, plug wrench, and make electrical repairs. Add a hammer, punch, screwdrivers, and a folding allen and torx set.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
got abunch of small toosl in pack and cresent wrench etc....really havent needed to use tools on the road yet...the bikes that dependable....thanks to urs trully....but i carry an extra ig module(used one already on trip... that rescued me)... and coil and plugs/wires and extra throttle pull cabe(cable also rescued me once) and key set...small things that are easy to carry and youd pay full dealer price and wait time etc....and pissed cause u have the spare one at home...and if in the middle of nowhere....on a trip that could be ruined

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
While riding cross country in the middle of nowhere and on Sunday my riding partner had his turn signal bar come loose and drop. He was amazed when I had just what he needed, nuts and bolts to reattach it. Be prepared for the unexpected. Lonslo

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
What kind of a trip?
Small trips?
under 500 miles? Almost nothing.
To Sturgis?
I carry enough stuff to get the inner primary off, heads off.
How?
The breaker bar is hooked to the right dwn tube front.
Almost not noticeable.
The tools needed and surprised enough, all fit in my saddle bag left side as the right side and trunk is hers.
My rain gear goes inside the front fairing and is almost instantly accessible ...no wardrobe shenanigans on the side of the road...
**Plus a few other things
Sometimes I am allowed a small place in the trunk too, for a change of clothes ....
So far I have not ever had to bust out more than a screwdriver....
**When I work on the bike i always paint those tools a separate color.
They all go with me and it saves me time packing as they require no thinking as to which to bring .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to ask. I'll be taking longer and longer trips and I'd like some ideas on what I should carry with me, just in case, without having to tote my entire set of Craftsman tools. Any suggestions?

Greg
For a long trip where youre gonna be gone a few days and putting in over 500 hundred miles: A 10 mm , 1/2" 9/16", 5/8" & 7/8" wrench. Small Cresent wrench. Pair of good channel locks. T-handle ratcheting driver with internally stored bits. A 3/8 drive ratchet. A Dewalt 3/8 Drive Torx/Allen Socket Set. 3/4" socket and long Screwdriver . (For checking/removing front axle nut) Tire Spoons (or 3 long screw drivers) A Multi-Meter. A small spool of 16 GA wire. Electrical tape. A Leatherman/multi-tool (DAILY). Fold up utility knife. Tube patches/ Vulcanizing compound. Handful of sockets metric & standard. Black Zip ties. Can of Permatex "The Right Stuff" 1-Minute Gasket Maker. That all fits in one saddle bag.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
In all my times running, even when *belts first came out, I have not ever seen or witnessed one breaking all the way so as not to make it back somewhere.
I have heard of some ...
But people can break anything and abuse stuff to a point of...abuse and negligence.
I have seen idiots put their front wheels up against a stationary object, and light off the rear tire until there was black thick fog everywhere.
Did their belt and whatever break later?
IDK, but it sure did not help it.
I have seen people use their Harleys for dirt bikes and travel 500 miles on gravel roads.
It's their bike they can do what they want.....
BUT
I would not be caught on it doing 90 MPH across Neb or MT.
To the point, it is good to have enough tools to fix the thing.
As for me -I try to stay ahead of the crap that is going to break.
I do carry two cans of flat fix and a puncture repair kit too.

* people used to carry a belt repair kit of sorts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It might work maybe for a M8 or a twink?
I would think a 1994 EVO they would laugh at?
They would say "take it to the museum?

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I have only seen it used on shovels and evos. It relies on a network of people who sign up. If you breakdown, call the toll free number. They search the database and see if there is someone is near you and contact them. Then they come help you with trailer, tools, parts, gas, etc. It is a network that relies on old fashioned brotherhood. I have been in it for decades but never needed it.

Here are some questions they ask when signing up.
IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY, I CAN HELP ANOTHER RIDER WITH: (CHECK ALL THAT APPLY)
DELIVER GAS OR PARTS
MOVE A MOTORCYCLE WITH MY TRUCK OR TRAILER
OFFER EMERGENCY TOOLS OR JUMPER CABLES
HOSPITAL VISITATION AFTER AN ACCIDENT
MOTORCYCLE STORAGE FOR A FEW DAYS
I OWN/WORK FOR A MOTORCYCLE DEALER OR REPAIR SHOP
EMERGENCY MOTORCYCLE REPAIR

1 - 20 of 65 Posts