V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Road King, a FLHRC. I believe the "rc" is for road king. What does the F, L, and H stand for? What about other models? I suspect there is some rationale, but as a new Harley owner its confusing as I can't really identify models unless the actual name is used (i.e. Fatboy, Ultra, etc). thx, greg

·
Registered
903 Posts
The letters evolved from features the motorcycle had and there are many different variations in what they stand for now.
Basically now, the "F" stands for the Big Bike with the Big Engine, so you know that all models that begin with "F" have the big motors, 80 to 88 cubic inches or 1340 to 1450 CC's. The next letter... "L" stands for a big fat front tire, while an "X" stands for a "Skinny" tire. So, an "FL" would be a big motor and a fat front tire. The next letter(s) denotes the frame... like a "D" indicates a "Dyna" frame (with the rubber mounted motor), while "ST" signifies a "Soft Tail" frame and "HT" a "Highway Touring" frame. So an "FXD" would be a big engine Dyna frame with a skinny front tire. The next letter(s) indicates the model bike within the frame family...Like "F" would signify "Fat Boy", "WG" "Wide Glide", etc... so... an FLSTF would be a big engine, fat front tire, soft tail, fat boy. a FXDWG would be a big engined, skinny front tire, dyna frame, wide glide model. And an FLHTCUI is a big engine, fat front tire, highway touring, classic ultra model with fuel injection (the "I" on the end signifies Fuel Injection. And, all the models that begin with an "X" are sportsters.
The "R" is for Road King and the "C" is for classic.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The letter before the Y indicates year
A-80 B-81 C-82 D-83 E-84 F-85 G-86 H-87
J-88 K-89 L-90 M-92 P-93 R-94 S-95 T-96
V-97 W-98 X-99 Y-00
1 BEFORE Y IS 2001
2 BEFORE Y IS 2002

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
BillC-

You edit by clicking on the EDIT button. You seem to be answering a question that wasn't asked maybe?? Are you talking about VIN numbers? he asked about model numbers...although I suppose he really meant model LETTERS.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Bill, there is a button on the finished post on the lower right of the box that reads "edit". Just to clear up - what you are refering to is the 10th digit on the vehicle identification number which indicates the model year on 1981 models and later.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I'm dislaxatitic, so a do no geea shet.........:confused:

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Psssssssst Hey BIll? I got a general official Nuke button right here. For ten bucks I'll wipe out the whole thing and swear it never happened. :eek:

BLA HAHAEmbareassingMomentsOnTheWebFuckUmDot HA!

·
Registered
906 Posts
VRSCA

This is the only one I know :)

V=V-Twin
R=Racing heritage
S=Street legal
C=Custom factory
A=First edition of the family

I'll post a link if I find one that explains the other models.

-JJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts